News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Reasonable Trade Discussion  ( 77,368 )

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Reasonable Trade Discussion
« Reply #255 on: July 08, 2015, 11:01:28 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 08, 2015, 10:44:54 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on July 08, 2015, 10:41:52 AM
Quote from: Yeti on July 08, 2015, 10:31:50 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 07, 2015, 06:40:30 PM
For some reason it's news that the Cubs have the money to add players.

Quote"There are financial resources if [president of baseball operations] Theo [Epstein] needs money to make a deal," said Crane Kenney. "No one I trust more to figure out what to do [than] Theo and [GM] Jed [Hoyer]."

So cute how Crane thinks he's Theo's boss.

I don't really see how that shows Crane thinks he's Theo's boss. He's the president of business operations, right? That would mean he would have control over payroll considerations. Not necessarily what players are on the team, but "Hey, Theo, we can go up to x million in payroll" or if Theo was looking at trade possibilities and he asked Crane "Hey, kind of flexibility do I have with the payroll this year?"... And I'm pretty sure that's what he said there.

And they probably both know what they were told by Tom Ricketts and when they go ask him for stuff they probably need to be on the same page. Crane may be a pudwhack but I don't really see anything wrong with what he said here.

He exists and therefore Chuck has to bitch about him.

I'm not in on this.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #256 on: July 08, 2015, 11:04:15 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 08, 2015, 11:01:28 AM

Quote"There are financial resources if [president of baseball operations] Theo [Epstein] needs money to make a deal," said Crane Kenney. "No one I trust more to figure out what to do [than] Theo and [GM] Jed [Hoyer]."

I don't really see how that shows Crane thinks he's Theo's boss. He's the president of business operations, right? That would mean he would have control over payroll considerations. Not necessarily what players are on the team, but "Hey, Theo, we can go up to x million in payroll" or if Theo was looking at trade possibilities and he asked Crane "Hey, kind of flexibility do I have with the payroll this year?"... And I'm pretty sure that's what he said there.

And they probably both know what they were told by Tom Ricketts and when they go ask him for stuff they probably need to be on the same page. Crane may be a pudwhack but I don't really see anything wrong with what he said here.

I'm not in on this.

Oh wow, you're right, you didn't start it. I saw bitching about Crane and then blacked out and assumed it was you. My bad.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #257 on: July 08, 2015, 11:09:13 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 08, 2015, 11:04:15 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 08, 2015, 11:01:28 AM

I'm not in on this.

Oh wow, you're right, you didn't start it. I saw bitching about Crane and then blacked out and assumed it was you. My bad.

Crane does have a competency factor: Real estate law and media law.  I give him that.  Gordo has nothing.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #258 on: July 13, 2015, 11:10:58 AM »
Cubs receive: Snork
Sox get: Vogelbach, Zagunis, Mike Olt or Christian Villanueva, some young, nowhere near major league ready pitcher with some talent

That fair, or is that NSBB level dumb? They get one future DH in Vogelbach, a legitimate-ish outfield prospect in Zagunis who is blocked in every way in Chicago as long as Bryant/Schwarber/McKinney are all in the org, their pick of two guys who might potentially still be capable of being below average major league third basemen (a vast improvement over what they have there), and an arm because these things always require an arm. Hell they can have Carl Edwards, Jr. and I can enjoy Pen and others freaking out over how getting rid of him like it's difficult to find hard-throwing middle relievers with control issues and injury concerns.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #259 on: July 13, 2015, 11:18:31 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 13, 2015, 11:10:58 AM
Sox get: Vogelbach, Zagunis, Mike Olt or Christian Villanueva, some young, nowhere near major league ready pitcher with some talent

That fair, or is that NSBB level dumb? They get one future DH in Vogelbach, a legitimate-ish outfield prospect in Zagunis who is blocked in every way in Chicago as long as Bryant/Schwarber/McKinney are all in the org, their pick of two guys who might potentially still be capable of being below average major league third basemen (a vast improvement over what they have there), and an arm because these things always require an arm. Hell they can have Carl Edwards, Jr. and I can enjoy Pen and others freaking out over how getting rid of him like it's difficult to find hard-throwing middle relievers with control issues and injury concerns.

I'm thinking the White Sox would want more than that.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #260 on: July 13, 2015, 11:20:49 AM »
Quote from: Eli on July 13, 2015, 11:18:31 AM

Pierce Johnson, maybe? A starting pitching prospect would probably fatten the deal. I don't know that I'd want the Cubs to go any higher than the names I threw out as far as hitters go (although you could throw Mendy in there as well) for Snork, but I get wanting a starter prospect if you are trading away a starter.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #261 on: July 13, 2015, 11:34:23 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 13, 2015, 11:20:49 AM

Pierce Johnson, maybe? A starting pitching prospect would probably fatten the deal. I don't know that I'd want the Cubs to go any higher than the names I threw out as far as hitters go (although you could throw Mendy in there as well) for Snork, but I get wanting a starter prospect if you are trading away a starter.

I think McKinney is probably a more likely starting point for a discussion. I don't think a collection of Cubs flotsam is going to get it done.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #262 on: July 13, 2015, 11:40:17 AM »
Quote from: Eli on July 13, 2015, 11:34:23 AM

I think McKinney is probably a more likely starting point for a discussion. I don't think a collection of Cubs flotsam is going to get it done.

I don't think Vogelbach is flotsam if you're talking to an AL team, and Zagunis seems like he could be a potential big league outfielder someday, but yeah you're probably right. Is it weird that I was cool with trading McKinney for Kazmir before all Kazmir's injuries but I don't like the idea of trading him for Snork? That's probably weird.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #263 on: July 13, 2015, 11:45:30 AM »

In that scenario, I'd say screw the Sox, then, unless they're ready to talk Chris Sale. Don't cash in your chips for half a season of Jeff Samardzija when your best case scenario for that half season is the SeligCard play-in and there are other starters available on the market.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #264 on: July 13, 2015, 11:56:08 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 13, 2015, 11:45:30 AM

In that scenario, I'd say screw the Sox, then, unless they're ready to talk Chris Sale. Don't cash in your chips for half a season of Jeff Samardzija when your best case scenario for that half season is the SeligCard play-in and there are other starters available on the market.

On the other hand, "he was traded twice for Jeff Samardzija" would be a nice bit of trivia about Billy McKinney after he's drank himself to an early grave for being known as the guy traded twice for Jeff Samardzija.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #265 on: July 13, 2015, 12:11:08 PM »

Trading Billy McKinney isn't really "cashing in your chips." He's a nice enough prospect but you're probably not talking about a future star here. The Cubs have like 5 potential left-field options in the coming years. That's the benefit of a deep farm system -- you can trade the McKinneys of the world for actual major-league talent and not lose sleep over it.

And Samardzija (theoretically) helps ensure that you actually make the SeligCard, he provides depth in case something happens to Arrieta/Lester/Hammel/Hendricks, he's a potential weapon out of the bullpen if you get deeper into the playoffs, etc. There's benefit beyond just having a better guy take the hill every 5th day.

Again, who knows who the Sox actually want. I was just speculating.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #266 on: July 13, 2015, 12:13:47 PM »
Quote from: Eli on July 13, 2015, 12:11:08 PM

Trading Billy McKinney isn't really "cashing in your chips." He's a nice enough prospect but you're probably not talking about a future star here. The Cubs have like 5 potential left-field options in the coming years. That's the benefit of a deep farm system -- you can trade the McKinneys of the world for actual major-league talent and not lose sleep over it.

And Samardzija (theoretically) helps ensure that you actually make the SeligCard, he provides depth in case something happens to Arrieta/Lester/Hammel/Hendricks, he's a potential weapon out of the bullpen if you get deeper into the playoffs, etc. There's benefit beyond just having a better guy take the hill every 5th day.

I would trade Murton 2.0 to the Sox in a three-way deal that ensured Snork went somewhere other than here. That's how deep the Cubs' farm system is and how much I don't want either player on the big league club.

Team A gets: Snork
White Sox get: Whoever the fuck, Mckinney
Cubs get: PNNSTBNL
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #267 on: July 13, 2015, 12:18:12 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on July 13, 2015, 12:13:47 PM

I would trade Murton 2.0 to the Sox in a three-way deal that ensured Snork went somewhere other than here. That's how deep the Cubs' farm system is and how much I don't want either player on the big league club.

Team A gets: Snork
White Sox get: Whoever the fuck, Mckinney
Cubs get: PNNSTBNL

I'm starting to think you're racist against redheads.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #268 on: July 13, 2015, 12:20:31 PM »

I'm still kind of hoping that the Cubs trade Schwarber and McKinney and some stuff for Hamels, and then use the difference between Hamels salary and the $200 million that a Price or Cueto was going to cost them to sign either Justin Upton to play left or Josh Donaldson to play third (moving Bryant to left). This probably would never happen but in my head it sounds really nice.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #269 on: July 13, 2015, 12:26:40 PM »

That's fine, since Happ should leapfrog him in the pecking order fairly quickly.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16