News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Jake Arrieta 2017 Salary Drive Sploogefest  ( 71,927 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Jake Arrieta Premature Ejaculation Thread
« Reply #210 on: September 23, 2015, 12:22:56 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on September 23, 2015, 12:17:03 PM
Quote from: Canadouche on September 23, 2015, 12:14:04 PM
Quote from: Oleg on September 23, 2015, 12:04:18 PM
Quote from: PANK! on September 23, 2015, 07:28:03 AM
Quote from: Slaky on September 23, 2015, 07:24:51 AM
Quote from: ChuckD on September 22, 2015, 09:19:57 PM
Quote from: SKO on September 22, 2015, 09:08:18 PM
Assuming he's done....8 shutout innings and an ERA down to 1.88. Jesus Christ

Since the beginning of August: 10 GS, 74.1 IP, 7 R, 4 ER, 38 H, 1 HR, 71 SO, 14 BB, 0.70 WHIP, 0.48 ERA, 5.1 SO:BB

I can safely say I've never seen anything like this.

Closest thing I could compare it to would be '84 Sutcliffe and I'd be willing to bet Sut's numbers don't hold a candle to this.

When adjusted for league environment, Prior's August/September in '03 was pretty fucking special.  And, yet, I'm still guessing Arrieta's run blows it away.

Just for reference, Prior's last 11 starts in '03:
82.2 IP, 67 H, 95:16 K:BB, 1.52 ERA.  Despite a .309 BABIP, he still only gave up a slash line of 221/265/327.  That ERA must have been an ERA+ in the 250 range, I'm guessing.

For league reference, it seems Prior led the league in FIP that year with a 2.47.

I've always felt Prior could've been the Cy Young winner that year. As I said earlier, I never thought I'd see better pitching from a Cub than what Prior did those months in '03. I've gotten used to being wrong.

I think his year in '03 gets lost in Cubs history.  It truly was an amazing performance.  He was a 7.8 fWAR pitcher that year.

It's just too hard to really appreciate when it's followed by overwhelming bitterness and sadness at the very thought of what happened afterwards. I try not to remind myself of Mark Prior, period.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #211 on: September 23, 2015, 12:28:42 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 23, 2015, 12:22:56 PM

Since the beginning of August: 10 GS, 74.1 IP, 7 R, 4 ER, 38 H, 1 HR, 71 SO, 14 BB, 0.70 WHIP, 0.48 ERA, 5.1 SO:BB

Closest thing I could compare it to would be '84 Sutcliffe and I'd be willing to bet Sut's numbers don't hold a candle to this.

When adjusted for league environment, Prior's August/September in '03 was pretty fucking special.  And, yet, I'm still guessing Arrieta's run blows it away.

82.2 IP, 67 H, 95:16 K:BB, 1.52 ERA.  Despite a .309 BABIP, he still only gave up a slash line of 221/265/327.  That ERA must have been an ERA+ in the 250 range, I'm guessing.

For league reference, it seems Prior led the league in FIP that year with a 2.47.

I've always felt Prior could've been the Cy Young winner that year. As I said earlier, I never thought I'd see better pitching from a Cub than what Prior did those months in '03. I've gotten used to being wrong.

I think his year in '03 gets lost in Cubs history.  It truly was an amazing performance.  He was a 7.8 fWAR pitcher that year.

It's just too hard to really appreciate when it's followed by overwhelming bitterness and sadness at the very thought of what happened afterwards. I try not to remind myself of Mark Prior, period.

It was a long time ago.  I'm with you on the bitterness and sadness although over time it has turned into just massive disappointment.  Maybe I'm just getting old and soft but I've been better about separating the good from the bad without letting either affect the other too much.  The Cubs were amazing and fun to watch that year.  The Cubs were also a nut-punch that will take WS to heal.  I think I can look at each of those things as its own thing.

But, Dusty Baker can still get bent.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #212 on: September 23, 2015, 12:37:38 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on September 23, 2015, 12:28:42 PM

It was a long time ago.  I'm with you on the bitterness and sadness although over time it has turned into just massive disappointment.  Maybe I'm just getting old and soft but I've been better about separating the good from the bad without letting either affect the other too much.  The Cubs were amazing and fun to watch that year.  The Cubs were also a nut-punch that will take WS to heal.  I think I can look at each of those things as its own thing.

I have a lot of stupid emotions tied up in the 2003 Cubs and I have a hard time focusing on the positives. My grandpa is the reason I am a diehard Cubs fan. He had brain hemorrhages in May of that year, and was supposed to be dead in a few weeks. Somewhat miraculously (to the point that doctors wrote a paper about him because it was so unprecedented) his brain matter regenerated and he lived another six months. He and I spent a lot of time that summer watching those Cubs. I was young and stupid and naïve enough to tell myself that they were going to pull it off and maybe, just maybe, that's part of why Grandpa got all that extra time.

I remember waiting during game six with the phone by my side, ready to call him as soon as they clinched. After it was over I was too upset to even talk about it. We lost him a couple of months later. I wanted that world series so badly, and I don't know that I'll ever not be mad beyond all reason about it, even when they do finally win one. I wanted that one specifically.

This was a bit heavy for desipio. My bad. Dusty Baker can get bent. Forever.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #213 on: September 23, 2015, 12:45:15 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 23, 2015, 12:37:38 PM

I have a lot of stupid emotions tied up in the 2003 Cubs and I have a hard time focusing on the positives. My grandpa is the reason I am a diehard Cubs fan. He had brain hemorrhages in May of that year, and was supposed to be dead in a few weeks. Somewhat miraculously (to the point that doctors wrote a paper about him because it was so unprecedented) his brain matter regenerated and he lived another six months. He and I spent a lot of time that summer watching those Cubs. I was young and stupid and naïve enough to tell myself that they were going to pull it off and maybe, just maybe, that's part of why Grandpa got all that extra time.

I remember waiting during game six with the phone by my side, ready to call him as soon as they clinched. After it was over I was too upset to even talk about it. We lost him a couple of months later. I wanted that world series so badly, and I don't know that I'll ever not be mad beyond all reason about it, even when they do finally win one. I wanted that one specifically.

Jesus, man.  Sorry to hear.  I think it's a solid reminder that, although there are many, many things more important than sports fandom, sports fandom can still have an emotional impact on our lives.  In some ways, I'm glad and sad that I don't share that with my dad or anyone else in my family.  Makes it easier to separate those things.  But, it also means I live somewhat vicariously and will enjoy the everlasting shit out of the Cubs WS for those of you who do have that sports bond with yours.

All that happened to me was making out with some random chick in the upper deck of Joe Robbie stadium in a drunken haze during game 5.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #214 on: September 23, 2015, 01:09:47 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on September 23, 2015, 12:45:15 PM
Quote from: SKO on September 23, 2015, 12:37:38 PM

Jesus, man.  Sorry to hear.  I think it's a solid reminder that, although there are many, many things more important than sports fandom, sports fandom can still have an emotional impact on our lives.  In some ways, I'm glad and sad that I don't share that with my dad or anyone else in my family.  Makes it easier to separate those things.  But, it also means I live somewhat vicariously and will enjoy the everlasting shit out of the Cubs WS for those of you who do have that sports bond with yours.

All that happened to me was making out with some random chick in the upper deck of Joe Robbie stadium in a drunken haze during game 5.

and Thrill was behind you pointing at you guys whilst a picture was taken

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #215 on: September 23, 2015, 02:12:58 PM »
So.... Jake Arrieta, you guys.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #216 on: September 23, 2015, 02:14:59 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on September 23, 2015, 02:12:58 PM

If he pitches the coin-flip game on Wednesday, he should be good for Game 3 the following Monday, right?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #217 on: September 23, 2015, 02:18:24 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on September 23, 2015, 02:14:59 PM

If he pitches the coin-flip game on Wednesday, he should be good for Game 3 the following Monday, right?

Good Lord willin' and the creek don't rise, I'd say yesir.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #218 on: September 23, 2015, 02:22:15 PM »

Yep.

Better question is considering that he'd be pitching the Coin Flip game on a normal 4 days rest, provided he continues to pitch on 4 days rest the remainder of the season...should Jake *only* pitch his next start, on 4 days rest, next Sunday vs. Pittsburgh and then rest for 9 days until the Coin Flip game, or continue to throw 5 days after Pittsburgh, on the final Friday of the season of the season, even if their fate is sealed and they're locked into whatever position they're in?

My Solomonesque solution is pitch him on Friday, October 2nd, but pull him after 5 IP (or fewer).  He's so hot I definitely don't want to see him go 9 days without pitching because I can easily imagine that backfiring but I also wouldn't mind seeing him get a little rest.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #219 on: September 23, 2015, 02:26:59 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on September 23, 2015, 02:22:15 PM

Yep.

Better question is considering that he'd be pitching the Coin Flip game on a normal 4 days rest, provided he continues to pitch on 4 days rest the remainder of the season...should Jake *only* pitch his next start, on 4 days rest, next Sunday vs. Pittsburgh and then rest for 9 days until the Coin Flip game, or continue to throw 5 days after Pittsburgh, on the final Friday of the season of the season, even if their fate is sealed and they're locked into whatever position they're in?

My Solomonesque solution is pitch him on Friday, October 2nd, but pull him after 5 IP (or fewer).  He's so hot I definitely don't want to see him go 9 days without pitching because I can easily imagine that backfiring but I also wouldn't mind seeing him get a little rest.

I approve of this plan. The extra rest can dick around with pitchers' control. And you can't have that in a one and done situation.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #220 on: September 23, 2015, 02:34:36 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on September 23, 2015, 02:26:59 PM

Yep.

I approve of this plan. The extra rest can dick around with pitchers' control. And you can't have that in a one and done situation.

I agree with this. Let him go 5 just to keep his groove, but he comes out even if there's a no-hitter going.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #221 on: September 23, 2015, 05:41:27 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on September 23, 2015, 02:34:36 PM

Yep.

I agree with this. Let him go 5 just to keep his groove, but he comes out even if there's a no-hitter going.

Someone fax this thread to Joe's office.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #222 on: September 23, 2015, 05:54:58 PM »
I know that MVP doesn't really mean that much (I'm sure it does to the winner) but I could easily be convinced that Arrieta should finish second in the MVP vote behind Harper this year (excepting all the votes for David Ross for bringing the team together and teaching them all how to be winners.)  

Obviously I pay much more attention to the Cubs than other teams, but the effect he has on this team overall is amazing. And it's not even just about affecting the bullpen and pitching staffs the days before and after, it's just knowing that every Jake Day, they're going to win or at least should win.  Stop a losing streak, keep winning, whatever it is, just that the Cubs are going to basically be awesome that day.  

I'm sure there are tons of valid arguments why a guy who only plays in 20% of the games can't justifiably be an MVP, but this dude just feels much, much bigger than that.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #223 on: September 24, 2015, 08:04:53 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on September 23, 2015, 05:41:27 PM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on September 23, 2015, 02:34:36 PM

Yep.

Someone fax this thread to Joe's office.

I'm on hold with his secretary.
TIME TO POST!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #224 on: September 24, 2015, 08:08:28 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on September 23, 2015, 05:54:58 PM
I know that MVP doesn't really mean that much (I'm sure it does to the winner) but I could easily be convinced that Arrieta should finish second in the MVP vote behind Harper this year (excepting all the votes for David Ross for bringing the team together and teaching them all how to be winners.)  

Obviously I pay much more attention to the Cubs than other teams, but the effect he has on this team overall is amazing. And it's not even just about affecting the bullpen and pitching staffs the days before and after, it's just knowing that every Jake Day, they're going to win or at least should win.  Stop a losing streak, keep winning, whatever it is, just that the Cubs are going to basically be awesome that day.  

I'm sure there are tons of valid arguments why a guy who only plays in 20% of the games can't justifiably be an MVP, but this dude just feels much, much bigger than that.

For some convoluted reason, his not winning the Cy Young and winning the MVP would only make him more awesome.

But yeah, I expect him to get some votes. Although I think Rizzo will probably get more.
TIME TO POST!