News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Jake Arrieta 2017 Salary Drive Sploogefest  ( 71,931 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Jake Arrieta Premature Ejaculation Thread
« Reply #225 on: September 24, 2015, 08:17:25 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on September 24, 2015, 08:08:28 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on September 23, 2015, 05:54:58 PM
I know that MVP doesn't really mean that much (I'm sure it does to the winner) but I could easily be convinced that Arrieta should finish second in the MVP vote behind Harper this year (excepting all the votes for David Ross for bringing the team together and teaching them all how to be winners.)  

Obviously I pay much more attention to the Cubs than other teams, but the effect he has on this team overall is amazing. And it's not even just about affecting the bullpen and pitching staffs the days before and after, it's just knowing that every Jake Day, they're going to win or at least should win.  Stop a losing streak, keep winning, whatever it is, just that the Cubs are going to basically be awesome that day.  

I'm sure there are tons of valid arguments why a guy who only plays in 20% of the games can't justifiably be an MVP, but this dude just feels much, much bigger than that.

For some convoluted reason, his not winning the Cy Young and winning the MVP would only make him more awesome.

But yeah, I expect him to get some votes. Although I think Rizzo will probably get more.

My pointless prediction is Jake finishes 2nd to Greinke and Rizzo finishes third behind Harper and Goldschmidt.

And I think those are fair results.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #226 on: September 24, 2015, 08:21:23 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 24, 2015, 08:17:25 AM
I know that MVP doesn't really mean that much (I'm sure it does to the winner) but I could easily be convinced that Arrieta should finish second in the MVP vote behind Harper this year (excepting all the votes for David Ross for bringing the team together and teaching them all how to be winners.)  

Obviously I pay much more attention to the Cubs than other teams, but the effect he has on this team overall is amazing. And it's not even just about affecting the bullpen and pitching staffs the days before and after, it's just knowing that every Jake Day, they're going to win or at least should win.  Stop a losing streak, keep winning, whatever it is, just that the Cubs are going to basically be awesome that day.  

I'm sure there are tons of valid arguments why a guy who only plays in 20% of the games can't justifiably be an MVP, but this dude just feels much, much bigger than that.

For some convoluted reason, his not winning the Cy Young and winning the MVP would only make him more awesome.

But yeah, I expect him to get some votes. Although I think Rizzo will probably get more.

My pointless prediction is Jake finishes 2nd to Greinke and Rizzo finishes third behind Harper and Goldschmidt.

They are. I wonder if Rizzo might have passed Goldschmidt for second place, whatever that's worth (nothing), with the Diamondbacks falling completely out of contention. He was more of a story when they were inexplicably .500 largely due to him playing out of his mind.

I also expect Bryant to get at least one vote, honestly, since he's arguably been more valuable to this team than Rizzo, at least according to Fangraphs.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #227 on: September 24, 2015, 09:01:22 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 24, 2015, 08:21:23 AM

They are. I wonder if Rizzo might have passed Goldschmidt for second place, whatever that's worth (nothing), with the Diamondbacks falling completely out of contention. He was more of a story when they were inexplicably .500 largely due to him playing out of his mind.

I also expect Bryant to get at least one vote, honestly, since he's arguably been more valuable to this team than Rizzo, at least according to Fangraphs.

He'll get more than one. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Schwarber gets at least one 10th place vote.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #228 on: September 24, 2015, 09:12:16 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on September 24, 2015, 09:01:22 AM

He'll get more than one. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Schwarber gets at least one 10th place vote.

That catch he made last night salvaged almost the entire shitty loss for me, entertainment-wise. He gets one, 79th place vote on my ballot for that alone. For being Babe fucking Ruth, he also gets slotted in 78-3 behind Rizzo and Bryant.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #229 on: September 24, 2015, 10:45:42 AM »

I've wondered about this for weeks. Why is Rizzo getting MVP buzz when he hasn't even been the most valuable position player on his own team? I mean, he's obviously been fantastic, but why is there no similar talk for Bryant?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #230 on: September 24, 2015, 10:59:37 AM »
Quote from: Eli on September 24, 2015, 10:45:42 AM

I've wondered about this for weeks. Why is Rizzo getting MVP buzz when he hasn't even been the most valuable position player on his own team? I mean, he's obviously been fantastic, but why is there no similar talk for Bryant?

Probably because Rizzo has the better slashline (although the gap has narrowed) and also because Rizzo has carried the team most of the year, at times when others have slumped. Bryant's late season surge has been amazing and he'll end the year with the more valuable season, but I get anyone who has watched this team all year long touting Tony as the steady hand that's rarely faltered.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #231 on: September 24, 2015, 11:01:33 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 24, 2015, 10:59:37 AM

Probably because Rizzo has the better slashline (although the gap has narrowed) and also because Rizzo has carried the team most of the year, at times when others have slumped. Bryant's late season surge has been amazing and he'll end the year with the more valuable season, but I get anyone who has watched this team all year long touting Tony as the steady hand that's rarely faltered.

And I think it's because Rizzo is not a rookie and Bryant is. Not that it's really logical, but I think people think "Well, Bryant is getting ROY and he can't be getting TWO awards"

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #232 on: September 24, 2015, 11:13:07 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on September 24, 2015, 11:01:33 AM

And I think it's because Rizzo is not a rookie and Bryant is. Not that it's really logical, but I think people think "Well, Bryant is getting ROY and he can't be getting TWO awards"

Does it matter that Rizzo plays his position with Gold Glove caliber while Bryant appears adequate at a few others? I'm not ragging Bryant's defense. It is better than they told us it would be but Rizzo probably does things at first that don't show up in defensive metrics, like going backside over tea kettle into a throng of Chads and Trixies for a foul pop. That's worth a vote IMO.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #233 on: September 24, 2015, 11:16:40 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on September 24, 2015, 11:13:07 AM
Quote from: Yeti on September 24, 2015, 11:01:33 AM

Does it matter that Rizzo plays his position with Gold Glove caliber while Bryant appears adequate at a few others? I'm not ragging Bryant's defense. It is better than they told us it would be but Rizzo probably does things at first that don't show up in defensive metrics, like going backside over tea kettle into a throng of Chads and Trixies for a foul pop. That's worth a vote IMO.

Could be? My guess it's a combination of all these things. Certainly no one is saying Rizzo isn't deserving of some votes, and while I love advanced stats I don't rigidly adhere to "X's WAR is better than Y's WAR so there's no argument to be made so however about Y possibly being better". My original point was to note that Kris has been so great he probably deserves a few token votes, too. Not that Tony deserves any less. Tony rules.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #234 on: September 24, 2015, 11:22:24 AM »

Because the Cubs' PR department is creating more buzz for Rizzo? Plus, Rizzo got a decent number of votes last season.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #235 on: September 24, 2015, 02:36:44 PM »

Are we not doing 'phrasing' anymore?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #236 on: September 24, 2015, 02:37:26 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on September 24, 2015, 02:36:44 PM

(||)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #237 on: September 24, 2015, 02:59:32 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on September 24, 2015, 02:36:44 PM

It's the way Pen phrased it in his dreams.
TIME TO POST!

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #238 on: September 24, 2015, 04:14:25 PM »
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #239 on: September 24, 2015, 08:58:06 PM »

I feel like Rizzo started out hot and that started the MVP talk early on, while Bryant was held out for a few weeks and then had the long homer drought at the beginning. Basically, Rizzo had a head start on any MVP consideration.