News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Jake Arrieta 2017 Salary Drive Sploogefest  ( 71,928 )

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Jake Arrieta Premature Ejaculation Thread
« Reply #240 on: September 24, 2015, 09:19:14 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 24, 2015, 10:59:37 AM
Quote from: Eli on September 24, 2015, 10:45:42 AM
Quote from: SKO on September 24, 2015, 08:21:23 AM
I also expect Bryant to get at least one vote, honestly, since he's arguably been more valuable to this team than Rizzo, at least according to Fangraphs.

I've wondered about this for weeks. Why is Rizzo getting MVP buzz when he hasn't even been the most valuable position player on his own team? I mean, he's obviously been fantastic, but why is there no similar talk for Bryant?

Probably because Rizzo has the better slashline (although the gap has narrowed) and also because Rizzo has carried the team most of the year, at times when others have slumped. Bryant's late season surge has been amazing and he'll end the year with the more valuable season, but I get anyone who has watched this team all year long touting Tony as the steady hand that's rarely faltered.

(advance apology for wading knee deep into stuff I'm not too knowledgeable on)

Here's what I don't get: Fangraphs has Rizzo with -10.6 defensive WAR. Now I get that even the absolute best defensive 1B are going to have a negative defensive WAR due to the relative lack of value for 1B defense compared to other positions. But Rizzo's number for this year is significantly worse than it was in 2013 & 2014 (both years around -4) and he ranks 15th out of 20 qualifying 1B. Just based on the eye test I feel like Rizzo has been better defensively this year than last and I don't understand how he could be ranked below league average. So my questions are: why does he rank so low this year, and would he be smoking Bryant in overall WAR if you insert last year's defensive numbers?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #241 on: September 25, 2015, 03:03:29 AM »
Quote from: R-V on September 24, 2015, 09:19:14 PM
I also expect Bryant to get at least one vote, honestly, since he's arguably been more valuable to this team than Rizzo, at least according to Fangraphs.

I've wondered about this for weeks. Why is Rizzo getting MVP buzz when he hasn't even been the most valuable position player on his own team? I mean, he's obviously been fantastic, but why is there no similar talk for Bryant?

Probably because Rizzo has the better slashline (although the gap has narrowed) and also because Rizzo has carried the team most of the year, at times when others have slumped. Bryant's late season surge has been amazing and he'll end the year with the more valuable season, but I get anyone who has watched this team all year long touting Tony as the steady hand that's rarely faltered.

Here's what I don't get: Fangraphs has Rizzo with -10.6 defensive WAR. Now I get that even the absolute best defensive 1B are going to have a negative defensive WAR due to the relative lack of value for 1B defense compared to other positions. But Rizzo's number for this year is significantly worse than it was in 2013 & 2014 (both years around -4) and he ranks 15th out of 20 qualifying 1B. Just based on the eye test I feel like Rizzo has been better defensively this year than last and I don't understand how he could be ranked below league average. So my questions are: why does he rank so low this year, and would he be smoking Bryant in overall WAR if you insert last year's defensive numbers?

Well, despite all the showreel stuff and what is obviously an outstanding baseball brain, he's noticeably whiffed on a couple of picks in recent weeks.  I'm very, very happy to have Tony Ballgame at 1B for the Cubs, but a genuine gold glover makes those plays.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #242 on: September 25, 2015, 07:42:18 AM »

There was a lot of debate about Rizzo's defense when he made that play in the stands and that Matt Trueblood fellow (has anyone managed to follow him for more than a few weeks? His info is sometimes useful but my word is that kid a fucking dick) said something about Rizzo being "borderline unplayable" on defense, whereas I heard someone else cite that he was above average in defensive runs saved?

I think there's just something kinda wonky in general about the first base defensive metrics. I certainly don't think Tony is a liability there by any stretch.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #243 on: September 25, 2015, 08:22:21 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 25, 2015, 07:42:18 AM

There was a lot of debate about Rizzo's defense when he made that play in the stands and that Matt Trueblood fellow (has anyone managed to follow him for more than a few weeks? His info is sometimes useful but my word is that kid a fucking dick) said something about Rizzo being "borderline unplayable" on defense, whereas I heard someone else cite that he was above average in defensive runs saved?

I think there's just something kinda wonky in general about the first base defensive metrics. I certainly don't think Tony is a liability there by any stretch.

That Trueblood guy is a shitbag. Anything he says is trash just because he tries so hard to be the emotionless commenter. There's a lot of hockey dudes like that and I hate em.

The one thing I admire about guys like Sahadev is that they can play nice with these types and never go on rants or scorn them with dickish manual RTs. I could never be in the media.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #244 on: September 25, 2015, 08:25:29 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 25, 2015, 08:22:21 AM

That Trueblood guy is a shitbag. Anything he says is trash just because he tries so hard to be the emotionless commenter. There's a lot of hockey dudes like that and I hate em.

The one thing I admire about guys like Sahadev is that they can play nice with these types and never go on rants or scorn them with dickish manual RTs. I could never be in the media.

Trueblood is a penis: https://twitter.com/MATrueblood/status/640628792940064768

Quote from: some dude on the twitsstop it you're not smarter than Joe. Stop arguing this and admit you messed up

Quote from: TruedickI'm not smarter than Joe Maddon. I never said that. I will say that I'm a better tactician, because I am. Many are.

He actually said that... Sounds like a great follow

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #245 on: September 25, 2015, 08:28:03 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on September 25, 2015, 08:25:29 AM

Quote from: some dude on the twitsstop it you're not smarter than Joe. Stop arguing this and admit you messed up

Quote from: TruedickI'm not smarter than Joe Maddon. I never said that. I will say that I'm a better tactician, because I am. Many are.

Wow.   
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #246 on: September 25, 2015, 08:29:51 AM »

I'm surprised you went with that example of his douchebaggery and not his campaign of JAKE ARRIETA CLEARLY HAS A FOREIGN SUBSTANCE ON HIS ARM.

I mean he can see it from his TV, so he's obviously right, and I guess every team that plays Jake Arrieta and presumably has scouts and execs watching on TV and seeing him up close doesn't see and never asks for someone to go take a fucking look.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #247 on: September 25, 2015, 08:30:13 AM »

Thanks Huey. I couldn't hold back so tune in.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #248 on: September 25, 2015, 08:37:41 AM »

I did once tweet that I noticed that none of the other BP Wrigleyville people EVER say a thing to defend Trueblood when people call him a fucking turd, and Sahadev favorited that briefly before apparently thinking better of it.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #249 on: September 25, 2015, 08:38:14 AM »
I'm  delighted by his apparent lack of self-awareness.  How can you tweet that and not realize (or care) that's it going to come off as appallingly wrong and conceited, and deserving of the cruelest mocking?  Holy fuckballs.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #250 on: September 25, 2015, 08:39:54 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on September 25, 2015, 08:38:14 AM
I'm  delighted by his apparent lack of self-awareness.  How can you tweet that and not realize (or care) that's it going to come off as appallingly wrong and conceited, and deserving of the cruelest mocking?  Holy fuckballs.

Also, when your avatar proves you've never seen a real boob.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #251 on: September 25, 2015, 08:42:24 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 25, 2015, 08:29:51 AM

I'm surprised you went with that example of his douchebaggery and not his campaign of JAKE ARRIETA CLEARLY HAS A FOREIGN SUBSTANCE ON HIS ARM.

I mean he can see it from his TV, so he's obviously right, and I guess every team that plays Jake Arrieta and presumably has scouts and execs watching on TV and seeing him up close doesn't see and never asks for someone to go take a fucking look.

Given that I don't follow him, I don't catch *all* the controversies.

And, you must answer for your sins, son: https://twitter.com/StartKyleOrton/status/605103920357056513

*grabs pitchfork*

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #252 on: September 25, 2015, 08:45:07 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 25, 2015, 08:39:54 AM
Quote from: PANK! on September 25, 2015, 08:38:14 AM

Also, when your avatar proves you've never seen a real boob.

Ha....yeah, more lacking self-awareness.  Not trying to be a playground bully here or taking layup cheapshots, but I can't help myself--I mean seriously, if you look like that I'd suggest using an avatar of a Cub player or something.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #253 on: September 25, 2015, 08:50:18 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on September 25, 2015, 08:42:24 AM

And, you must answer for your sins, son: https://twitter.com/StartKyleOrton/status/605103920357056513

*grabs pitchfork*

Meh.  May was a rough month for SKO.  The Cubs suddenly being good had a lot of people overreacting.  That early May series in St. Louis still makes me embarrassed for a majority of this fanbase, but all is mostly forgiven.  The important thing is that SKO didn't keep doubling down on his hot taek like this other assface.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #254 on: September 25, 2015, 08:50:58 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on September 25, 2015, 08:42:24 AM

*grabs pitchfork*

I will accept the ribbing, but I think there's a difference between questioning a manager, which we all do at some point, and outright asserting you're better at his job than he is.

Also, unlike Trueblood, I'm more than willing to admit I'm a fucking dope.