News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Jake Arrieta 2017 Salary Drive Sploogefest  ( 71,975 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Jake Arrieta Premature Ejaculation Thread
« Reply #375 on: October 18, 2015, 08:49:43 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on October 18, 2015, 08:28:16 PM
Quote from: Canadouche on October 18, 2015, 08:22:11 PM
Quote from: Wheezer on October 18, 2015, 08:20:25 PM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on October 18, 2015, 08:15:17 PM
Jake picked a poor night to become mortal again.

Coom Dawg just reassured everyone that it has nothing to do with innings pitched.

I think I'd prefer that he's gassed than any of the other myriad reasons why he might be getting lit.

It's not that he's gassed, he had Gerrit Cole, over-rested syndrome.  Too many balls left up in the first inning, which is a key indicator of too live/over-rested of an arm.

For all the good decisions that Joe has made, not starting Jake on normal rest last night was a mistake.

If he had started on normal rest though, that would have meant another day of overrest for Lester. So how would that have made things better?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #376 on: October 18, 2015, 08:53:18 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on October 18, 2015, 08:49:43 PM

Coom Dawg just reassured everyone that it has nothing to do with innings pitched.

I think I'd prefer that he's gassed than any of the other myriad reasons why he might be getting lit.

It's not that he's gassed, he had Gerrit Cole, over-rested syndrome.  Too many balls left up in the first inning, which is a key indicator of too live/over-rested of an arm.

For all the good decisions that Joe has made, not starting Jake on normal rest last night was a mistake.

If he had started on normal rest though, that would have meant another day of overrest for Lester. So how would that have made things better?

1. You start your best pitcher in Game 1, which gives you the best chance to take the 1-0 lead.

2. You start your best pitcher in the most favorable matchup, which gives you a chance to then play Montero in a position where he's able to do the most damage.

3. It gives you the chance to start Jake 3 times in the series if you have to (1/4/7), which is better than starting Lester 3 times.

4. It gives you the chance to use Jake to close down late innings in Game 6 if necessary.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #377 on: October 18, 2015, 08:56:50 PM »

Lester was going to pitch just well enough to lose no matter what.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #378 on: October 18, 2015, 09:07:37 PM »

Reread CFiHP's first sentence. It's isomorphic to a "Traditional Chinese Medicine" "diagnosis."
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #379 on: October 18, 2015, 09:30:16 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on October 18, 2015, 09:07:37 PM

Reread CFiHP's first sentence. It's isomorphic to a "Traditional Chinese Medicine" "diagnosis."

So the whole issue is Jake's chi? Let's break out the needles.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #380 on: October 18, 2015, 09:45:45 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on October 18, 2015, 09:30:16 PM

Is that gonna fix the offense? Because I hear this team is built on offense...

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #381 on: October 18, 2015, 09:53:12 PM »

Qi is secondary (or, but one of the "Three Treasures"). It's necessary to examine his tongue and classify his pulse first.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #382 on: October 18, 2015, 10:19:12 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on October 18, 2015, 09:53:12 PM

Qi is secondary (or, but one of the "Three Treasures"). It's necessary to examine his tongue and classify his pulse first.
Aw.  I was going to say that.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #383 on: October 18, 2015, 10:38:03 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on October 18, 2015, 08:53:18 PM

1. You start your best pitcher in Game 1, which gives you the best chance to take the 1-0 lead.

2. You start your best pitcher in the most favorable matchup, which gives you a chance to then play Montero in a position where he's able to do the most damage.

3. It gives you the chance to start Jake 3 times in the series if you have to (1/4/7), which is better than starting Lester 3 times.

4. It gives you the chance to use Jake to close down late innings in Game 6 if necessary.

got it

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #384 on: October 19, 2015, 07:07:20 AM »
So Jake basically admitted in the post-game that he's tired. I went back and looked at his game log and the only game that really stands out as needlessly dumb was the 4-0 shutout vs. Milwaukee (on 9/22) where he threw 123 pitches. I recall most people saying that was unnecessary at the time. But other than that, there are only a handful of other instances where you can nitpick an inning here or there. If he's tired now, I don't think a scattered 100-200 pitches over the last few months would make a big difference now.

Long story short, throwing a ton of pitches/innings is just what happens when you're good. Even in hindsight, it's tough to say what they could have done differently.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #385 on: October 19, 2015, 08:24:14 AM »
Quote from: Eli on October 19, 2015, 07:07:20 AM
So Jake basically admitted in the post-game that he's tired. I went back and looked at his game log and the only game that really stands out as needlessly dumb was the 4-0 shutout vs. Milwaukee (on 9/22) where he threw 123 pitches. I recall most people saying that was unnecessary at the time. But other than that, there are only a handful of other instances where you can nitpick an inning here or there. If he's tired now, I don't think a scattered 100-200 pitches over the last few months would make a big difference now.

Long story short, throwing a ton of pitches/innings is just what happens when you're good. Even in hindsight, it's tough to say what they could have done differently.

I'm with you. It just sucks that it's happening right now. I guess it's sort of inevitable.

He can still get by in his remaining start(s)* with guile. I think he's a good enough pitcher to do that. I'm not sure Murphy's homer wasn't just him being red hot and hitting a decent pitch into the perfect combination of wind and seating arrangement. If that ball hung up or went foul, what are we saying about Jake's outing then?

*if necessary

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #386 on: October 19, 2015, 08:25:28 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 19, 2015, 08:24:14 AM

I'm with you. It just sucks that it's happening right now. I guess it's sort of inevitable.

He can still get by in his remaining start(s)* with guile. I think he's a good enough pitcher to do that. I'm not sure Murphy's homer wasn't just him being red hot and hitting a decent pitch into the perfect combination of wind and seating arrangement. If that ball hung up or went foul, what are we saying about Jake's outing then?

*if necessary

That's it. It's not like Jake left a center-cut gopher ball out over the plate. Murphy hit Jake's pitch.
TIME TO POST!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #387 on: October 19, 2015, 08:27:06 AM »

*if necessary

Someone tweeted that the exit velocity on that Murphy home run was 91 MPH, and less than 1% of all homers this year had an exit velocity that low or lower. He just hit in the one location where the wind was actually going to help a ball go out.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #388 on: October 19, 2015, 08:50:51 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 19, 2015, 08:27:06 AM

*if necessary

Someone tweeted that the exit velocity on that Murphy home run was 91 MPH, and less than 1% of all homers this year had an exit velocity that low or lower. He just hit in the one location where the wind was actually going to help a ball go out.

Daren Willman.
https://twitter.com/darenw

He's got a great site

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #389 on: October 19, 2015, 09:30:28 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on October 19, 2015, 08:50:51 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 19, 2015, 08:27:06 AM

*if necessary

Daren Willman.
https://twitter.com/darenw

He's got a great site

Marry it