News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Jake Arrieta 2017 Salary Drive Sploogefest  ( 71,931 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Jake Arrieta Premature Ejaculation Thread
« Reply #405 on: November 19, 2015, 09:12:14 AM »
Quote from: SKO on November 19, 2015, 09:07:40 AM
Look, who would know more about what kind of investment Snork is worth, the front office that turned him into a starter, has in depth knowledge of his medicals, and oversaw the most successful period of his career, or those of us that hate him for being bad like 5 years ago and having a stupid face and stupid hair on top of his stupid face and also all of the stupid things that have come out of his stupid mouth on his stupid face?

I'll have to think about this and get back to you.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #406 on: November 19, 2015, 09:17:36 AM »
Quote from: Eli on November 19, 2015, 09:00:13 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 19, 2015, 08:53:08 AM
Quote from: Eli on November 19, 2015, 08:36:18 AM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on November 19, 2015, 07:14:15 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on November 18, 2015, 06:01:52 PM
The Cy Damn Young Award.

"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman. He was one of our better pitchers." --Jeff Samardzija

Please don't let this asshole come back.

I like making fun of him for that line, too, but I don't really blame him for saying it at the time. These guys are competitive as hell; why would they enjoy their prime years being spent on a team that's intentionally losing games?

Anyway. There's been a lot of talk about Cooper not letting him throw splitters and messing with his mechanics, which is why he struggled so much. As long as he's not the best pitcher they acquire this offseason, I'd be happy to see him come back as a 4/5 starter.

...on a 1 or 2 year deal. I don't want a long term contract to him clogging up the rotation for years. There are going to be far better options than him within the next 3+ years.  Further, they are going to sign someone not named Snork to a 5 year deal this winter.  That ties up two of the five spots long term.  Arrieta is in line for a third long term spot.  I have no interest in having Snork as the #4 until 2019 and only having flexibility to add someone in one rotation slot.

If he's signed, I'd trust that the front office has a plan on how to handle all of this. Or are we not trusting them anymore if they sign Samardzija?

Look, who would know more about what kind of investment Snork is worth, the front office that turned him into a starter, has in depth knowledge of his medicals, and oversaw the most successful period of his career, or those of us that hate him for being bad like 5 years ago and being bad in 2015 and having a stupid face and stupid hair on top of his stupid face and also all of the stupid things that have come out of his stupid mouth on his stupid face?

(for what it's worth I both understand the Snork hate and would also be 100% fine with bringing him back on whatever terms Jepstink deem worthy)

There you go.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #407 on: November 19, 2015, 09:19:05 AM »
The Cy Damn Young Award.

"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman. He was one of our better pitchers." --Jeff Samardzija

I like making fun of him for that line, too, but I don't really blame him for saying it at the time. These guys are competitive as hell; why would they enjoy their prime years being spent on a team that's intentionally losing games?

Anyway. There's been a lot of talk about Cooper not letting him throw splitters and messing with his mechanics, which is why he struggled so much. As long as he's not the best pitcher they acquire this offseason, I'd be happy to see him come back as a 4/5 starter.

...on a 1 or 2 year deal. I don't want a long term contract to him clogging up the rotation for years. There are going to be far better options than him within the next 3+ years.  Further, they are going to sign someone not named Snork to a 5 year deal this winter.  That ties up two of the five spots long term.  Arrieta is in line for a third long term spot.  I have no interest in having Snork as the #4 until 2019 and only having flexibility to add someone in one rotation slot.

If he's signed, I'd trust that the front office has a plan on how to handle all of this. Or are we not trusting them anymore if they sign Samardzija?

I get it.  Trust the front office.  No need to share opinions anymore.

So... Battlefront anyone?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #408 on: November 19, 2015, 09:23:57 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 19, 2015, 09:17:36 AM
The Cy Damn Young Award.

Look, who would know more about what kind of investment Snork is worth, the front office that turned him into a starter, has in depth knowledge of his medicals, and oversaw the most successful period of his career, or those of us that hate him for being bad like 5 years ago and being bad in 2015 and having a stupid face and stupid hair on top of his stupid face and also all of the stupid things that have come out of his stupid mouth on his stupid face?

(for what it's worth I both understand the Snork hate and would also be 100% fine with bringing him back on whatever terms Jepstink deem worthy)

There you go.

That's the thing though. Why was he so good in 2014 and bad in 2015? Is there something he did for the Cubs that he didn't do for the White Sox? Eli mentioned Cooper wanting him to cut down on using his splitter, which was his most effective pitch the year before. Something very similar happened to Arrieta in Baltimore. Given this org's success rehabiliting most pitchers not named Edwin Jackson, I think it's fair to assume that if they're interested in Snork at all they see something concrete that went wrong and can be fixed, rather than just hope that it was an aberration.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #409 on: November 19, 2015, 09:29:19 AM »
Quote from: SKO on November 19, 2015, 09:23:57 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 19, 2015, 09:17:36 AM
The Cy Damn Young Award.

There you go.

That's the thing though. Why was he so good in 2014 and bad in 2015? Is there something he did for the Cubs that he didn't do for the White Sox? Eli mentioned Cooper wanting him to cut down on using his splitter, which was his most effective pitch the year before. Something very similar happened to Arrieta in Baltimore. Given this org's success rehabiliting most pitchers not named Edwin Jackson, I think it's fair to assume that if they're interested in Snork at all they see something concrete that went wrong and can be fixed, rather than just hope that it was an aberration.

How can you even type with Snork's dong hanging out of your mouth?
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #410 on: November 19, 2015, 09:32:07 AM »
I wouldn't care if they signed Snork but can we get the fucking chode out of the Arrieta-is-god thread?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #411 on: November 19, 2015, 09:35:02 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 19, 2015, 09:19:05 AM
The Cy Damn Young Award.

This has basically been the prevailing opinion since Epstein took over, so why is it different now?

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #412 on: November 19, 2015, 09:38:16 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on November 19, 2015, 09:32:07 AM
I wouldn't care if they signed Snork but can we get the fucking chode out of the Arrieta-is-god thread?
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #413 on: November 19, 2015, 09:46:23 AM »
Quote from: Eli on November 19, 2015, 09:35:02 AM
The Cy Damn Young Award.

This has basically been the prevailing opinion since Epstein took over, so why is it different now?

For the record, my position is "let's wait until the thing we're dreading actually happens and then we can bitch about it".

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #414 on: November 19, 2015, 09:50:48 AM »
Quote from: CT III on November 19, 2015, 09:46:23 AM
Quote from: Eli on November 19, 2015, 09:35:02 AM
The Cy Damn Young Award.

For the record, my position is "let's wait until the thing we're dreading actually happens and then we can bitch about it".

But I'm angry now!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #415 on: April 04, 2016, 11:52:09 PM »
Didn't even look like he was trying. My pants exploded after the back to back Trout/Pujols Ks
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #416 on: April 05, 2016, 09:38:10 AM »
I like to look at his numbers and just dream of a better world. A world where Jake pitches every day.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #417 on: April 05, 2016, 10:06:22 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on April 05, 2016, 09:38:10 AM
I like to look at his numbers and just dream of a better world. A world where Jake pitches every day.

The Cubs' outfielders were bored to tears.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #418 on: April 05, 2016, 11:46:01 AM »
I totally get and agree with the argument that the Cubs have Jake under contract at reasonable dollars through his likely prime so we need to prepare ourselves for him leaving because it's probably the right long-term move. But what if he just keeps pitching like this for the next two years?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #419 on: April 05, 2016, 12:00:53 PM »
Quote from: R-V on April 05, 2016, 11:46:01 AM
I totally get and agree with the argument that the Cubs have Jake under contract at reasonable dollars through his likely prime so we need to prepare ourselves for him leaving because it's probably the right long-term move. But what if he just keeps pitching like this for the next two years?

Then the Cubs are gonna win a lot of games. Which will be awesome.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.