News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Jake Arrieta 2017 Salary Drive Sploogefest  ( 71,931 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Jake Arrieta Premature Ejaculation Thread
« Reply #510 on: May 16, 2016, 12:15:09 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on May 16, 2016, 11:49:51 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on May 16, 2016, 11:13:04 AM
Quote from: PANK! on May 13, 2016, 09:39:45 AM
Quote from: Grandmaster Wang on May 13, 2016, 09:20:14 AM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on May 13, 2016, 07:58:05 AMFor the Cubs, a front load makes more sense

Also, for Catholics.

You used to be 27Bstrokesomethingsomething, right?

You should post more.

6 is what I believe you're looking for. 

I'm not sure which would be more surprising.

• Huey hasn't seen Brazil
  • Huey has seen Brazil but forgot "27b/6."

I have not seen Brazil.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #511 on: May 16, 2016, 01:09:18 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on May 16, 2016, 12:15:09 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on May 16, 2016, 11:49:51 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on May 16, 2016, 11:13:04 AM
Quote from: PANK! on May 13, 2016, 09:39:45 AM
Quote from: Grandmaster Wang on May 13, 2016, 09:20:14 AM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on May 13, 2016, 07:58:05 AMFor the Cubs, a front load makes more sense

Also, for Catholics.

You used to be 27Bstrokesomethingsomething, right?

You should post more.

6 is what I believe you're looking for. 

I'm not sure which would be more surprising.

• Huey hasn't seen Brazil
  • Huey has seen Brazil but forgot "27b/6."

I have not seen Brazil.

You're right. The second thing would've been more surprising.

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #512 on: June 22, 2016, 07:17:01 PM »
He's walked four guys in a game five times this year. Last year, he only walked more than three in a game once (six vs. the Indians). 2016 walk rate: 8.8% (ML average: 7.6%), 2015 walk rate: 5.3% (ML average: 7.1%).

Should I start worrying?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #513 on: June 22, 2016, 07:54:39 PM »
Quote from: Shooter on June 22, 2016, 07:17:01 PM
He's walked four guys in a game five times this year. Last year, he only walked more than three in a game once (six vs. the Indians). 2016 walk rate: 8.8% (ML average: 7.6%), 2015 walk rate: 5.3% (ML average: 7.1%).

Should I start worrying?

His stuff is so good that he's getting away with it. And most of his other peripherals are a tick better than last year (K rate, ground ball rate, soft contact rate). But the prospect of him racking up 85 pitches through 4 innings of a playoff start isn't something anyone wants to see, so sure; I think you can worry a tiny bit.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #514 on: June 23, 2016, 08:31:00 AM »
Quote from: Eli on June 22, 2016, 07:54:39 PM
Quote from: Shooter on June 22, 2016, 07:17:01 PM

Should I start worrying?

His stuff is so good that he's getting away with it. And most of his other peripherals are a tick better than last year (K rate, ground ball rate, soft contact rate). But the prospect of him racking up 85 pitches through 4 innings of a playoff start isn't something anyone wants to see, so sure; I think you can worry a tiny bit.

Yeah, I was at an outing yesterday and when I first saw the score at 7-0 in the 7th I figured Arrieta must have pitched terribly. Turns out he was fine but couldn't stay in the game long enough to keep the Cubs in it. The pitch count stuff is a concern for sure.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #515 on: June 23, 2016, 08:37:08 AM »
For what it's worth, on June 16th last year Jake had a 3.40 ERA and a walk rate of 6.3%. Then from that point to the end of the year he had a 0.86 ERA and a 5% walk rate. Not saying he'll do that again, his second half last year would be almost impossible to repeat even for him, and 8.8% is quite a bit worse than 6.3%, but there is precedent for him cutting down the walks and going from merely "pretty good" to "untouchable God" mid-season, at least. I mean this year he's still mostly been "untouchable God", the walks have just made him a 5-6 inning god instead of a 7-9 inning god.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #516 on: June 23, 2016, 09:58:08 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 23, 2016, 08:37:08 AM
For what it's worth, on June 16th last year Jake had a 3.40 ERA and a walk rate of 6.3%. Then from that point to the end of the year he had a 0.86 ERA and a 5% walk rate. Not saying he'll do that again, his second half last year would be almost impossible to repeat even for him, and 8.8% is quite a bit worse than 6.3%, but there is precedent for him cutting down the walks and going from merely "pretty good" to "untouchable God" mid-season, at least. I mean this year he's still mostly been "untouchable God", the walks have just made him a 5-6 inning god instead of a 7-9 inning god.

It strikes me (with no research whatsoever to back it up) that batters are waiting Jake out a bit to run up his pitch count, figuring the best way to beat him is to get him out of the game.  I saw something about him making an adjustment, I wonder if that may be pitching more to contact.  May cause his ERA to rise a bit, but probably the necessary next step to get him back to going deeper into games.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Grandmaster Wang

• Hi. I'm Herschel Walker.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #517 on: June 23, 2016, 10:47:23 AM »
Quote from: thehawk on June 23, 2016, 09:58:08 AM

It strikes me (with no research whatsoever to back it up) that batters are waiting Jake out a bit to run up his pitch count, figuring the best way to beat him is to get him out of the game.  I saw something about him making an adjustment, I wonder if that may be pitching more to contact.  May cause his ERA to rise a bit, but probably the necessary next step to get him back to going deeper into games.

Yep. I think that's kinda becoming "the book" on Jake. Just wait him out and let him rack up 40 pitches through 2, or something along those lines, and you're on the right track. And I still maintain that's largely because Jake continues to get squeezed early. And just for the record (again) I don't think it's deliberate, or that there's some kind of conspiracy. Honestly, I haven't the slightest clue how to explain it. My best guess at this point is that it's because of all that late movement. It's as confusing for home plate umpires as it is for batters. But hell if I know. All I know is that in my opinion, he just isn't getting those "benefit of the doubt" calls that historically (or at least so goes the legend) pitchers with a reputation for outstanding command tend to get when they paint the corners. Jake just doesn't get them, at least not early in games. And I think opposing batters are beginning to realize it, and so the strategy is to just wait it out. I wonder if it might also have something to do with Miggy's supposed pitch-framing prowess. Something along the lines of the home plate umpire sees Miggy easing the mitt back towards the middle of the plate, and the assumption is that he's selling a pitch that was off the plate, when it really did catch black, and if Miggy would just sit still rather than working it, they might get more of those calls.
Some dude in Cairo just punched a camel in the face on CNN.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #518 on: June 23, 2016, 10:54:49 AM »
Quote from: Grandmaster Wang on June 23, 2016, 10:47:23 AM
Quote from: thehawk on June 23, 2016, 09:58:08 AM

Yep. I think that's kinda becoming "the book" on Jake. Just wait him out and let him rack up 40 pitches through 2, or something along those lines, and you're on the right track. And I still maintain that's largely because Jake continues to get squeezed early. And just for the record (again) I don't think it's deliberate, or that there's some kind of conspiracy. Honestly, I haven't the slightest clue how to explain it. My best guess at this point is that it's because of all that late movement. It's as confusing for home plate umpires as it is for batters. But hell if I know. All I know is that in my opinion, he just isn't getting those "benefit of the doubt" calls that historically (or at least so goes the legend) pitchers with a reputation for outstanding command tend to get when they paint the corners. Jake just doesn't get them, at least not early in games. And I think opposing batters are beginning to realize it, and so the strategy is to just wait it out. I wonder if it might also have something to do with Miggy's supposed pitch-framing prowess. Something along the lines of the home plate umpire sees Miggy easing the mitt back towards the middle of the plate, and the assumption is that he's selling a pitch that was off the plate, when it really did catch black, and if Miggy would just sit still rather than working it, they might get more of those calls.

I don't know if I've felt he's gotten squeezed as often as you have, but yesterday I definitely felt Wacha got some strikes that Jake didn't.

Brooks baseball would seem to agree Wacha got a slightly wider zone than Jake did:

I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #519 on: June 27, 2016, 06:39:55 PM »
Okay I'm worried

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #520 on: June 27, 2016, 08:01:01 PM »
Still very goddamn worried

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #521 on: June 27, 2016, 08:54:23 PM »
Quote from: SKO on June 27, 2016, 08:01:01 PM

He'll figure it out. I'm sure it's a mechanical issue. Or maybe he needs a pair of "wild thing" glasses when he pitches.
M'lady.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #522 on: June 28, 2016, 04:19:16 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on June 27, 2016, 08:54:23 PM

He'll figure it out. I'm sure it's a mechanical issue. Or maybe he needs a pair of "wild thing" glasses when he pitches.

Fantastic.  Everybody's a scout.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #523 on: July 02, 2016, 06:33:05 PM »

Panicking. Full blown fucking panic

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #524 on: July 02, 2016, 07:50:14 PM »
Widespread Panic...
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!