News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Jake Arrieta 2017 Salary Drive Sploogefest  ( 71,931 )

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Jake Arrieta Premature Ejaculation Thread
« Reply #555 on: September 28, 2016, 07:55:04 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on September 28, 2016, 07:51:45 PM
*gulp*

Getting it out of his system before the games count. *whistles past the graveyard*

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #556 on: October 18, 2016, 08:39:27 PM »
Damn it, Jake.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #557 on: October 26, 2016, 08:44:32 AM »
There's never been a better time for a proper thread-bump, Jake. I know you're a lurker here.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #558 on: October 26, 2016, 09:46:02 PM »
BUMP for a strong effort from Jake tonight.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #559 on: October 27, 2016, 09:01:13 AM »
Attaboy Jake. Battled through the usual control issues to give them exactly what they needed.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #560 on: October 27, 2016, 09:04:48 AM »
Quote from: R-V on October 27, 2016, 09:01:13 AM
Attaboy Jake. Battled through the usual control issues to give them exactly what they needed.

I think that was why this was so encouraging. He didn't just have a game where everything clicked and he was old Jake again, we've seen him do that a couple of times and then go right back in the tank the next game. He actually lost it a few times, and each time actually managed to pull himself back from the ledge in a way he hadn't been.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #561 on: October 27, 2016, 09:24:34 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 27, 2016, 09:04:48 AM

I think that was why this was so encouraging. He didn't just have a game where everything clicked and he was old Jake again, we've seen him do that a couple of times and then go right back in the tank the next game. He actually lost it a few times, and each time actually managed to pull himself back from the ledge in a way he hadn't been.

I would not be angry if the Cubs extended him. He stresses me out when he flounders, but his incredibleness makes up for it.
M'lady.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #562 on: October 27, 2016, 10:21:46 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on October 27, 2016, 09:24:34 AM

I would not be angry if the Cubs extended him. He stresses me out when he flounders, but his incredibleness makes up for it.

He neither floundered, nor was he incredible--taking a no-hitter past the half-way point notwithstanding.

He actually had some starts like this during his dominance last year, but they got washed away.  I was in Philadelphia for a doubleheader last September about 7 rows back of the Cubs dugout, and we were fretting as Jake was seemingly constantly 1-0, 2-0 on batters...he gave up some shots that his defense made plays on and next the thing you knew, he had given up 1 run through 8 innings, and yet it didn't feel so dominant as we watched. He didn't have too many of those--indeed, he usually did dominate-- but even when he did those games were good enough to win easily as night (sort of) was.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #563 on: October 27, 2016, 10:35:26 AM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on October 27, 2016, 10:21:46 AM

He neither floundered, nor was he incredible--taking a no-hitter past the half-way point notwithstanding.

He actually had some starts like this during his dominance last year, but they got washed away.  I was in Philadelphia for a doubleheader last September about 7 rows back of the Cubs dugout, and we were fretting as Jake was seemingly constantly 1-0, 2-0 on batters...he gave up some shots that his defense made plays on and next the thing you knew, he had given up 1 run through 8 innings, and yet it didn't feel so dominant as we watched. He didn't have too many of those--indeed, he usually did dominate-- but even when he did those games were good enough to win easily as night (sort of) was.

His stuff is so good that he really only has to get it close to the zone for it to usually work out okay, because it's so hard to square up and the Cubs defense is so good anyway. It's just a shame that when his control is off it is really off and he can't find the strike zone with a Sherpa.

Amusingly enough I have an opposite reaction to that start than Kurt. If the Cubs win this world series right now and have at least one championship in the Theo Era banked away it makes decisions like parting with Jake after next year easier. They're probably more likely to keep their window open if they don't over-burden themselves with multiple long term, nine figure contracts to aging pitchers. If they should lose this series, god forbid, and they have more of a sense of urgency then I think they're more likely to pay up for Jake.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #564 on: October 27, 2016, 10:43:27 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 27, 2016, 10:35:26 AM
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on October 27, 2016, 10:21:46 AM

He actually had some starts like this during his dominance last year, but they got washed away.  I was in Philadelphia for a doubleheader last September about 7 rows back of the Cubs dugout, and we were fretting as Jake was seemingly constantly 1-0, 2-0 on batters...he gave up some shots that his defense made plays on and next the thing you knew, he had given up 1 run through 8 innings, and yet it didn't feel so dominant as we watched. He didn't have too many of those--indeed, he usually did dominate-- but even when he did those games were good enough to win easily as night (sort of) was.

His stuff is so good that he really only has to get it close to the zone for it to usually work out okay, because it's so hard to square up and the Cubs defense is so good anyway. It's just a shame that when his control if off it is really off and he can't find the strike zone with a Sherpa.

Amusingly enough I have an opposite reaction to that start than Kurt. If the Cubs win this world series right now and have at least one championship in the Theo Era banked away it makes decisions like parting with Jake after next year easier. They're probably more likely to keep their window open if they don't over-burden themselves with multiple long term, nine figure contracts to aging pitchers. If they should lose this series, god forbid, and they have more of a sense of urgency then I think they're more likely to pay up for Jake.

I feel like, statistically, Arrieta is going to end up somewhere between his God Season and his second half of this past year. His numbers aren't a fluke, and if a team is going to pursue top-shelf pitching, he certainly has all the kinds of intangibles that you want, coupled with the bonus of already being a part of the team. He's stayed healthy, he pushes himself to improve, he's a fitness freak, and his arm has seen relatively little wear for someone his age.

I do believe that any great pitcher, when finally signed to that big contract, will likely have 1-2 years in which he doesn't earn the money. That's going to happen with Lester too, someday, I'm sure. I think we just have to accept it as part of the business and recognize that he's probably going to give the Cubs 3-5 years of reliability, and that good pitching is just something you have to pay for.
M'lady.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #565 on: October 27, 2016, 12:23:22 PM »
If someone steps up to be a mainstay in the rotation, then Arietta will be the chip the Cubs will use to restock their farm system July 31.

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #566 on: October 27, 2016, 12:24:29 PM »
He'll be 32 on opening day of 2018. He's gonna want six or seven years and stacks and stacks of cash. I'll be fine if they pass on that.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #567 on: October 27, 2016, 12:26:03 PM »
Quote from: Shooter on October 27, 2016, 12:24:29 PM
He'll be 32 on opening day of 2018. He's gonna want six or seven years and stacks and stacks of cash. I'll be fine if they pass on that.

Same.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #568 on: October 27, 2016, 03:15:15 PM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on October 27, 2016, 12:26:03 PM
Quote from: Shooter on October 27, 2016, 12:24:29 PM

Same.

Yeah. I'm okay with honoring what he's done and letting him go at that point.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #569 on: October 29, 2016, 06:34:42 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on October 27, 2016, 12:23:22 PM
If someone steps up to be a mainstay in the rotation, then Arietta will be the chip the Cubs will use to restock their farm system July 31.

They're not moving him. They'll ride him through the 2017 postseason, qualify him and take the draft pick.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16