News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Pollyellon banned me  ( 370,821 )

TJ

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Pollyellon banned me
« Reply #135 on: May 23, 2008, 02:14:50 PM »
I don't disagree with Yellon's sentiment. We could use a SP much more than we could use a CF, so if Maddux is available for almost nothing, what's the harm?

Slaky+

• An Original SSM Founding Father
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #136 on: May 23, 2008, 02:21:13 PM »
Quote from: TJ on May 23, 2008, 02:14:50 PM
I don't disagree with Yellon's sentiment. We could use a SP much more than we could use a CF, so if Maddux is available for almost nothing, what's the harm?

He's bad. I was being sarcastic. I don't want Maddux. Aim higher for fuck's sake.

Lance Dicksons Arm

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #137 on: May 23, 2008, 02:23:12 PM »
Quote from: TJ on May 23, 2008, 02:14:50 PM

Really?  I'm not sure I agree with your prioritization.

I agree that we need another starter.  But I think the upgrade that Maddux gives the Cubs  as #4 is slight...whereas, the Cubs could (if lucky) score a HUGE upgrade at CF.  Which says very little...because if Hendry could swing a trade for Slaky, even he would be an upgrade in CF.

Also consider that Maddux would not start at the front of the rotation in the playoffs.  He'd only pitch once a series....which is something to also consider.  Of course, if there is an injury, or Dempster wets himself, that could change.   That said, this team is in deep shit if Maddux is their #3 come playoff time.

I'm not against getting Maddux for the right price (i.e. close to zero) for depth.  But a CF would take priority over him if I were Cubs GM.

Mike Douche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #138 on: May 23, 2008, 02:55:45 PM »
Bringing back Maddux is not a good idea.

Look at his numbers away from Petco.  Consider, also, that of 25 games in September, 15 of them are at either Wrigley, Ken Lay Memorial and the Great American Bandbox. 

Maddux is a #4 starter.  If this team wants to win the pennnant, they're going to shootn higher than that. 

Al is retarded.

FIRE EVERYBODY!

Slaky+

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #139 on: May 23, 2008, 02:58:27 PM »
Quote from: Mike D on May 23, 2008, 02:55:45 PM
Bringing back Maddux is not a good idea.

Look at his numbers away from Petco.  Consider, also, that of 25 games in September, 15 of them are at either Wrigley, Ken Lay Memorial and the Great American Bandbox. 

Maddux is a #4 starter.  If this team wants to win the pennnant, they're going to shootn higher than that. 

Al is retarded.

Facts.

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #140 on: May 23, 2008, 03:25:39 PM »
I think if you're going to take any pitcher from the Padres, of those they'd be willing to trade, I'd want Chris Young over Maddog.  I make this proposition with no playoff implications in mind, mainly just to see if he could beat the shit out of Pujols in a Cubs uniform for the accident last night.

Slaky+

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #141 on: May 23, 2008, 04:00:57 PM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on May 23, 2008, 03:25:39 PM
I think if you're going to take any pitcher from the Padres, of those they'd be willing to trade, I'd want Chris Young over Maddog.  I make this proposition with no playoff implications in mind, mainly just to see if he could beat the shit out of Pujols Derrek Lee in a Cubs uniform for the accident fight last night year.

DwightKurtz

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #142 on: May 23, 2008, 04:03:34 PM »
I support the Cubs reaquiring Maddux, because they could use a better #4 or #5 pitcher than who they currently have.  Maddux will probably give the team an ERA in the 4.50 range, which is fine.  Gallagher or Marshall might also be able to do that, but I don't trust them down the stretch and wouldn't be shocked to see them fold. 

But if they get Maddux or they don't, they still need to get another ace.  Zambrano-Lilly-Dempster won't cut it.  Unfortunately, it looks like the best available might be somebody like Burnett ... he'd be an improvement, but how much of one?
"I will say that Kurt's pride in/self-awarenss of his geekhood is quite admirable." - Penfoe
So long, and thanks for all the fish

Three times a JD

• College Basketball Expert
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #143 on: May 23, 2008, 04:11:42 PM »
Quote from: KurtEvans on May 23, 2008, 04:03:34 PM
I support the Cubs reaquiring Maddux, because they could use a better #4 or #5 pitcher than who they currently have.  Maddux will probably give the team an ERA in the 4.50 range, which is fine.  Gallagher or Marshall might also be able to do that, but I don't trust them down the stretch and wouldn't be shocked to see them fold. 

Go look at Maddux's home/road splits.  I'll pass.
Hey, I gotta go where the Blacktion is.

Andre Dawson's Creek

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #144 on: May 23, 2008, 04:16:24 PM »
Unless you know Mr. Peabody, I want no part of Maddux anymore.  The time for feel good is past. It's win time now.  If you're going to get a starter it had better be a bona fide top 3 starter.  Maddux isn't a top 3 starter.  He's a #4.5 in any park except Petco.
Alright ,uh, later dudes, S you in your A's, dont wear a C, and J all over your B's.

Mike Douche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #145 on: May 23, 2008, 04:26:13 PM »
Quote from: KurtEvans on May 23, 2008, 04:03:34 PM
but I don't trust them down the stretch and wouldn't be shocked to see them fold. 

Down the stretch in 2004, in his final 4 starts of the year, Maddux allowed 6, 3, 6,  and 6 earned runs, and never pitched beyond the 6th inning in any of those starts.  Prior to those final 4 starts, his ERA was 3.51.  At the conclusion, it was 4.02. 

The guy was useless.   And this was four years ago.

I love me some Greg Maddux, but this entire idea is chock-full of mental-retardation and it's making my small intesting inflame with anger.
FIRE EVERYBODY!

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #146 on: May 23, 2008, 04:26:57 PM »
Quote from: Andre Dawson's Creek on May 23, 2008, 04:16:24 PM
Unless you know Mr. Peabody, I want no part of Maddux anymore.  The time for feel good is past. It's win time now.  If you're going to get a starter it had better be a bona fide top 3 starter.  Maddux isn't a top 3 starter.  He's a #4.5 in any park except Petco.

Agreed here. Not only do I not want him because there is no time for sentimentality now, but should he not perform well, a distinct possibility, I'd rather he did it for someone else.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

TJ

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #147 on: May 23, 2008, 04:27:56 PM »
I was just saying his sentiment is right on. If the Cubs conclude this season in a way they haven't this past century, it would be great to see Maddux as part of it. If he costs close to nothing, Al is right: even his road splits are better than the crap being put up there as the Cubs' No. 5 starter. He'd be here for depth and to provide a few quality starts.

When I said they need a SP more than they need a CF, I sort of misspoke. I was feebly trying to compare this to the signing of Edmonds. Let me pose the question this way: if a Kyler Burke type guy (and paying Maddux's salary) would be all it would take to get him here, wouldn't you agree that it'd be worthwhile to take a flyer on him? Wouldn't you agree he'd provide more value than Edmonds?

The Edmonds nightmare will be over in a couple weeks: either he'll start hitting, or he'll be busing tables at his restaurant in St. Louis. If the Cubs take a flyer on Maddux and he starts to suck, I'm sure they'd work out a way to make the end of his career as graceful as possible as soon as the shit hits the fan. You think he'd want to keep going out there every 5th day if he made Jason Marquis look like Cy Young?

Short version of what I just said:
1. I like Maddux.
2. It would be cool to see Maddux catch lightning in a bottle one last time.
3. I think the chances Maddux would provide value to the Cubs are significantly higher than the value Edmonds is providing.
4. If the Padres don't demand any players that can, you know, play, then the risk is low enough to justify it.
5. Like Edmonds, the Maddux experience would end quickly if it didn't work out.

If bringing Maddux in here necessarily means no other SP can be acquired, forget it.

But sentimentally, yeah.

Three times a JD

• College Basketball Expert
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #148 on: May 23, 2008, 04:29:08 PM »
I guess I could go with that, TJ.
Hey, I gotta go where the Blacktion is.

PTanner

• Desipio Social Director
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #149 on: May 23, 2008, 06:25:02 PM »

Anyone else see Maddux pitch against the Cubs?

If the Cubs want to honor him, give him a goddamn day next year after he retires. He's got his ring, and he won't help this team win one.
Don't read too much into any of it. It's Rozner. He's a fucking idiot.