News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Pollyellon banned me  ( 370,931 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Pollyellon banned me
« Reply #1095 on: January 01, 2010, 05:59:54 PM »

All I saw was Yellion saying Marlon Byrd is a Black Negro who plays in a non-white fashion.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1096 on: January 05, 2010, 03:16:52 PM »
All right, I need to know, what is historic about this photo?

http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2010/1/5/1233924/cubs-historic-photos-13th-in-a#storyjump

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1097 on: January 05, 2010, 03:38:55 PM »
Quote from: CT III on January 05, 2010, 03:16:52 PM

http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2010/1/5/1233924/cubs-historic-photos-13th-in-a#storyjump

Kingman hit the ball to right field.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1099 on: January 06, 2010, 07:48:55 AM »
Quote from: CT III on January 05, 2010, 03:16:52 PM

QuoteThe uniform of the catcher identifies the team -- those are the awful uniforms the Atlanta Braves wore for two of the three years Kingman was a Cub, 1978 and 1979 (note from the link, they changed in 1980, eliminating that year from this discussion). The Braves were at Wrigley in June and August 1978 -- too warm for Kingman to have been wearing long sleeves, and same thing for a July 1979 series.

So this has to be the May 1979 series. But which game?

The clue is in the catcher's number. The Braves had two primary catchers in 1979 -- Bruce Benedict, who wore #20, and Joe Nolan, who wore #11. But clearly, that's a single digit on that jersey.

It's Dale Murphy, who came up as a catcher, and caught 27 games early in 1979 before being moved permanently to 1B and later the outfield. (In fact, he never caught a game in the majors again after May 1979). Murphy caught the first two games of that series. The boxscore for the first one, Friday, May 4, indicates it was overcast that day.

So it has to be the game of Saturday, May 5. It's impossible to tell when in the game it was taken, though probably fairly early, given the angle of the sun. The Cubs beat future Hall-of-Famer Phil Niekro that day behind a CG from Dennis Lamp and four homers, though none from Kingman -- he went 0-for-4 with a walk and a strikeout. The photo appears to show a check swing.]The uniform of the catcher identifies the team -- those are the awful uniforms the Atlanta Braves wore for two of the three years Kingman was a Cub, 1978 and 1979 (note from the link, they changed in 1980, eliminating that year from this discussion). The Braves were at Wrigley in June and August 1978 -- too warm for Kingman to have been wearing long sleeves, and same thing for a July 1979 series.

So this has to be the May 1979 series. But which game?

The clue is in the catcher's number. The Braves had two primary catchers in 1979 -- Bruce Benedict, who wore #20, and Joe Nolan, who wore #11. But clearly, that's a single digit on that jersey.

It's Dale Murphy, who came up as a catcher, and caught 27 games early in 1979 before being moved permanently to 1B and later the outfield. (In fact, he never caught a game in the majors again after May 1979). Murphy caught the first two games of that series. The boxscore for the first one, Friday, May 4, indicates it was overcast that day.

So it has to be the game of Saturday, May 5. It's impossible to tell when in the game it was taken, though probably fairly early, given the angle of the sun. The Cubs beat future Hall-of-Famer Phil Niekro that day behind a CG from Dennis Lamp and four homers, though none from Kingman -- he went 0-for-4 with a walk and a strikeout. The photo appears to show a check swing.

Al Yellon does not understand the difference between "historic" and "historical".  Awesome.  

Didn't he go to Colgate?

Edit:  Clarification for those of you smart enough to not even bother to go to that cesspool of idiocy--the title of this "series", another in a long line of Al's unceasingly retarded off-season projects, is called "Cubs Historic Photos".  The only thing remotely "historic" about that picture would have been had Dale Murphy never caught another game after that game--or better, another PITCH after Kingman's "historic" check-swing.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1100 on: January 06, 2010, 08:32:02 AM »
Quote from: MAD on January 06, 2010, 07:48:55 AM
Al Yellon does not understand the difference between "historic" and "historical".  Awesome. 

Neither does PenFoe, but we don't hold that against him (at least no more than everything else he's wrong about).
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1101 on: January 06, 2010, 11:01:14 AM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on January 06, 2010, 08:32:02 AM
Quote from: MAD on January 06, 2010, 07:48:55 AM
Al Yellon does not understand the difference between "historic" and "historical".  Awesome.  

Neither does PenFoe, but we don't hold that against him (at least no more than everything else he's wrong about).

Wait, I don't?
When did this happen?
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1103 on: February 25, 2010, 12:07:39 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on February 25, 2010, 12:02:19 PM
I dunno about y'all, but I'm disappointed I'm not a part of this community

Next to Robbie Hummel's ACL injury, I'm most disappointed about you not being a part of that community.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1104 on: March 18, 2010, 08:28:07 AM »
Bump.  Imagine the reaction in the land of Bologna sammiches.

http://www.chicagobreakingbusiness.com/2010/03/cubs-want-huge-illuminated-billboard-at-wrigley-field.html

Also, I love this particular line:
QuoteTunney wants to make sure the proposed billboard will not block fans' views of the surrounding neighborhood.
Yeah, I'm sure that's the concern... fans want to see the neighborhood.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

powen01

• Vuvuzela Spit Cleaner
  • Fukakke Fan Club
    • powen01@yahoo.com
« Reply #1105 on: March 18, 2010, 10:34:52 AM »
Quote from: morpheus on March 18, 2010, 08:28:07 AM
Bump.  Imagine the reaction in the land of Bologna sammiches.

http://www.chicagobreakingbusiness.com/2010/03/cubs-want-huge-illuminated-billboard-at-wrigley-field.html

Also, I love this particular line:
QuoteTunney wants to make sure the proposed billboard will not block fans' views of the surrounding neighborhood.
Yeah, I'm sure that's the concern... fans want to see the neighborhood.

I assume I won't need to point out the irony of the sign being bought by Toyota...  I think it should alternate between the company logo and "DOOOOOOOOM".

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1106 on: March 18, 2010, 02:03:18 PM »

I am concerned that the sign could unintentionally accellerate through Alfonso Soriano.

Chuck is not.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1107 on: March 18, 2010, 02:06:03 PM »
Quote from: thehawk on March 18, 2010, 02:03:18 PM

I am concerned that the sign could unintentionally accellerate through Alfonso Soriano.

Chuck is not.

If there's an insurance settlement, I'm all in favor.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1108 on: March 18, 2010, 02:57:27 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on March 18, 2010, 02:06:03 PM

Chuck is not.

That's a longshot.  Could probably get a double indemnity clause on that one.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1109 on: March 18, 2010, 02:58:03 PM »
Quote from: CT III on March 18, 2010, 02:57:27 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on March 18, 2010, 02:06:03 PM

Chuck is not.

That's a longshot.  Could probably get a double indemnity clause on that one.

That's a honey of an ankle bracelet.