News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Pollyellon banned me  ( 370,819 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Pollyellon banned me
« Reply #1350 on: August 08, 2010, 06:12:29 PM »
Quote from: Bonk on August 08, 2010, 11:41:48 AM
When pitchers have to bear down and get him out to get out of a jam, they can usually do it.

Do you have any evidence at all that proves this?

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1351 on: August 08, 2010, 07:07:36 PM »
Adam Dunn, huh?  Can he not swing at balls?  Yes.  Can he not swing at strikes?  Sometimes.  Can he hit strikes?  Yes, and very far, sometimes.   

He's also over 30 now.  He's always been a "defensive liability" and he ain't gonna get any better.  He's tall and he looks fat.  He's had a beer belly since he was 24.  His hobbies are fishing and drinking while fishing.  Neither of those will help you stay in shape.  I don't think he'll age well.  He probably has another decent year in him, but the fall will be swift.  That's just what I think.  I could end up being wrong, but it's highly doubtful.  Let some other team suffer with him for the last 3 years of his mega-contract.
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

Bonk

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #1352 on: August 09, 2010, 05:23:01 AM »
Quote from: Eli on August 08, 2010, 06:12:29 PM
When pitchers have to bear down and get him out to get out of a jam, they can usually do it.

Well, I watched him play for the Reds just about every night while he was here in Cinci, and also how about a shitty career batting average with RISP?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1353 on: August 09, 2010, 06:56:09 AM »
Quote from: Bonk on August 09, 2010, 05:23:01 AM
Quote from: Eli on August 08, 2010, 06:12:29 PM

Well, I watched him play for the Reds just about every night while he was here in Cinci, and also how about a shitty career batting average with RISP?

Surely, if you're trying to establish how often he gets out when the pitcher is in a jam, you should be looking at OBP with RISP?  Even if you maintain (and I expect you do) that you should be swinging, not walking in those circumstances, then the more interesting number would be SLG with RISP.  Batting average with RISP is only as helpful as batting average in any other circumstances : not very.

His career OBP with RISP is .413, by the way, and his SLG is .482 for an OPS with RISP of .895.

I still wouldn't sign him, but for the reasons that JD has given, and not because you've seen him a couple of times in Cincy and have a hunch that he's not very good.

So, in conclusion :  your Mum.

EDIT : I hadn't seen Yeti's previous post when I wrote this.  I don't know what's more embarrassing - that I've repeated what he said, or that I actually appear to agree with him.  Maybe it's that Bonk is still flogging this dead horse.  Yes, that's it.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1354 on: August 09, 2010, 08:00:27 AM »
Quote from: JD on August 08, 2010, 07:07:36 PM
Adam Dunn, huh?  Can he not swing at balls?  Yes.  Can he not swing at strikes?  Sometimes.  Can he hit strikes?  Yes, and very far, sometimes.   

He's also over 30 now.  He's always been a "defensive liability" and he ain't gonna get any better.  He's tall and he looks fat.  He's had a beer belly since he was 24.  His hobbies are fishing and drinking while fishing.  Neither of those will help you stay in shape.  I don't think he'll age well.  He probably has another decent year in him, but the fall will be swift.  That's just what I think.  I could end up being wrong, but it's highly doubtful.  Let some other team suffer with him for the last 3 years of his mega-contract.

What this says to me is that Adam Dunn is white and probably fun loving and therefore he should be a perfect fit.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1355 on: August 09, 2010, 08:22:02 AM »
Quote from: Ivy6 on August 08, 2010, 11:56:23 AM
I don't get it...didn't you just rip on Blake Dewitt's power.

And now we're moving him to third base?

Yes, I did indeed. Fagstats indicate that he's decently better at 3B (with an admittedly smaller sample size than 2B). Positional adjustments are the same for 2B and 3B, so, yea. Move the new (but hated infinitely less) Ryan Theriot over there. I'm good with it.

Quote from: Bonk on August 09, 2010, 05:23:01 AM

I'll love watching him in the Chi and FYB every dong that fucker hits.

Quote from: Tonker on August 09, 2010, 06:56:09 AM
Surely, if you're trying to establish how often he gets out when the pitcher is in a jam, you should be looking at OBP with RISP?  Even if you maintain (and I expect you do) that you should be swinging, not walking in those circumstances, then the more interesting number would be SLG with RISP.  Batting average with RISP is only as helpful as batting average in any other circumstances : not very.

His career OBP with RISP is .413, by the way, and his SLG is .482 for an OPS with RISP of .895.

I still wouldn't sign him, but for the reasons that JD has given, and not because you've seen him a couple of times in Cincy and have a hunch that he's not very good.

So, in conclusion :  your Mum.

EDIT : I hadn't seen Yeti's previous post when I wrote this.  I don't know what's more embarrassing - that I've repeated what he said, or that I actually appear to agree with him.  Maybe it's that Bonk is still flogging this dead horse.  Yes, that's it.

Hey, you can never argue with the Bill Simmons proven method of WATCHING players in person. Never. Fucking. Fails.

Anyway, Dunn is a nice player that I wouldn't mind seeing here for 2 years at 12.5 million per year. Anything more is a little more than I'm wanting to go. Maybe $15 million per year, but that's pushing it.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1356 on: August 09, 2010, 08:31:55 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on August 09, 2010, 08:22:02 AM

Yes, I did indeed. Fagstats indicate that he's decently better at 3B (with an admittedly smaller sample size than 2B). Positional adjustments are the same for 2B and 3B, so, yea. Move the new (but hated infinitely less) Ryan Theriot over there. I'm good with it.

Who plays second?

Is Hak-Ju Lee making the jump straight from Peoria and bumping Starlin from short?
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1357 on: August 09, 2010, 08:40:17 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on August 09, 2010, 08:31:55 AM

Who plays second?

Is Hak-Ju Lee making the jump straight from Peoria and bumping Starlin from short?

I mentioned that Thomas guy at 2nd in Double-A. The main point is that with Vitters being a couple years away (or possibly being a bust), the Cubs are deeper at the middle infield in the farm system, and I'm sure they can find someone from the minors to do the position well. I was hearing some good things about Darwin Barney, but then I noticed he was batting .295ish but has a lifetime OPS of just around .700. I just feel they can promote someone from within to take second and do it well (provided Ramirez going to first is even in their thoughts).

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1358 on: August 09, 2010, 09:07:20 AM »

Who plays second?

Speaking of Lee, I saw him this weekend down at the Chiefs game.  He looked competent at short, but he needs to work on his offense.  He is not ready for the bigs yet.  Probably a Fall League, Spring Training and then AA or AAA assignment, then he'll be good to go.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1359 on: August 09, 2010, 09:08:47 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on August 09, 2010, 08:40:17 AM

Who plays second?

I mentioned that Thomas guy at 2nd in Double-A. The main point is that with Vitters being a couple years away (or possibly being a bust), the Cubs are deeper at the middle infield in the farm system, and I'm sure they can find someone from the minors to do the position well. I was hearing some good things about Darwin Barney, but then I noticed he was batting .295ish but has a lifetime OPS of just around .700. I just feel they can promote someone from within to take second and do it well (provided Ramirez going to first is even in their thoughts).

Back to Dewitt - you're serious about him being an everyday 3rd baseman?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1360 on: August 09, 2010, 09:09:22 AM »
Quote from: R-V on August 09, 2010, 09:08:47 AM
Quote from: Yeti on August 09, 2010, 08:40:17 AM

Who plays second?

Back to Dewitt - you're serious about him being an everyday 3rd baseman?

What's your contention to it?

EDIT: Waits patiently for the BC-style "HIS OFFENSE PROJECTS BETTER AT SECOND THAN THIRD" argument.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1361 on: August 09, 2010, 09:25:58 AM »
Blake DeWitt is BAD. Let's talk about something else.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1362 on: August 09, 2010, 09:26:49 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 09, 2010, 09:25:58 AM
Blake DeWitt is BAD. Let's talk about something else.

Boobs.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1363 on: August 09, 2010, 09:35:59 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on August 09, 2010, 09:09:22 AM
EDIT: Waits patiently for the BC-style "HIS OFFENSE PROJECTS BETTER AT SECOND THAN THIRD" argument.

Why is that a BC-style argument? 

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1364 on: August 09, 2010, 09:36:50 AM »
Quote from: Eli on August 09, 2010, 09:35:59 AM
Quote from: Yeti on August 09, 2010, 09:09:22 AM

Why is that a BC-style argument? 

Forget about it, Eli. It's SHOUTBOXTOWN.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck