News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Pollyellon banned me  ( 370,829 )

Bonk

• Hank White Fan Club
Re: Pollyellon banned me
« Reply #1425 on: August 09, 2010, 04:49:56 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on August 09, 2010, 04:45:46 PM
Quote from: Yeti on August 09, 2010, 04:36:22 PM
Actually, I would like to address this. Why? Well, I do like being an incessant prick who argues things with people who I perceive as dumber than myself. Where did you get that number? Is that some streak he had that Cincinnati reported on? And was this "900 Plate Appearances with a runner on third and less than 2 outs"? Because that's about the only time you can get a Sac Fly (minus the rare second to third ones). How can you judge a guy on a situational stat (much like RBIs, but that's for a different day, maybe tomorrow when you start using those to argue points) and use a span of "900 plate appearances" to indicate that HE did something wrong?

Now, I assume this stretch must have occurred in 2004 (and surrounding seasons) because he had no Sac Flies. However, he only had 44 PAs in that situation (Runner on 3rd, less than 2 outs). So, you're butthurt over that?

/reinserts Adam's huge fucking donkey dong

I'm pretty sure a batter is not credited with a SAC Fly (and is charged with an AB) on any flyout wherein the runner tags from any other base other than third and advances to the next base.

And yes, Dunn had some ridonkulous streak where he hadn't had a SAC fly in ages.  Why Bonk thinks that this sort of statistical aberration fairly signifies a blight on Dunn's career is beyond me, but here we are.

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/this-week-in-sacrifice-flies-cincinnatis-ad-8038

Actually the streak reached 1,085. It just typifies how a guy who's supposed to be a wood-inducing RBI guy really doesn't do the pre-2010 A-Ram things to get runners home.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1426 on: August 09, 2010, 04:50:36 PM »
Why Bonk thinks that this sort of statistical aberration fairly signifies a blight on Dunn's career is beyond me, but here we are.

Because he's Bonk.

And, as you said, Dunn's sac fly streak is probably purely a statistical aberration. There are fluky stats all the time. The NFC has won 13 straight Super Bowl coin tosses.  Maybe the AFC should finally just nut up and stop being such a selfish jerk.

Bonk

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #1427 on: August 09, 2010, 04:53:27 PM »
Quote from: Eli on August 09, 2010, 04:50:36 PM
Why Bonk thinks that this sort of statistical aberration fairly signifies a blight on Dunn's career is beyond me, but here we are.

Because he's Bonk.

And, as you said, Dunn's sac fly streak is probably purely a statistical aberration. There are fluky stats all the time. The NFC has won 13 straight Super Bowl coin tosses.  Maybe the AFC should finally just nut up and stop being such a selfish jerk.

Or symptomatic of a guy who doesn't get the job done with men in scoring position.

Should a power, supposed RBI-producing stud not be thinking fly ball in that situation?

At-bat = coin toss? I get it, real baseball is just random, like rolling dice on your Strat-O-Matic game.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1428 on: August 09, 2010, 04:54:57 PM »
Quote from: Bonk on August 09, 2010, 04:49:56 PM
Actually, I would like to address this. Why? Well, I do like being an incessant prick who argues things with people who I perceive as dumber than myself. Where did you get that number? Is that some streak he had that Cincinnati reported on? And was this "900 Plate Appearances with a runner on third and less than 2 outs"? Because that's about the only time you can get a Sac Fly (minus the rare second to third ones). How can you judge a guy on a situational stat (much like RBIs, but that's for a different day, maybe tomorrow when you start using those to argue points) and use a span of "900 plate appearances" to indicate that HE did something wrong?

Now, I assume this stretch must have occurred in 2004 (and surrounding seasons) because he had no Sac Flies. However, he only had 44 PAs in that situation (Runner on 3rd, less than 2 outs). So, you're butthurt over that?

I'm pretty sure a batter is not credited with a SAC Fly (and is charged with an AB) on any flyout wherein the runner tags from any other base other than third and advances to the next base.

And yes, Dunn had some ridonkulous streak where he hadn't had a SAC fly in ages.  Why Bonk thinks that this sort of statistical aberration fairly signifies a blight on Dunn's career is beyond me, but here we are.

Actually the streak reached 1,085. It just typifies how a guy who's supposed to be a wood-inducing RBI guy really doesn't do the pre-2010 A-Ram things to get runners home.

Out of all the stats, RBIs are clearly the best.  Dunn has only topped 100 in a season five times.  What a selfish asshole.  Sorry, Borb.  Bonk is teh new truth.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1429 on: August 09, 2010, 04:55:27 PM »
Quote from: Bonk on August 09, 2010, 04:53:27 PM
Should a power, supposed RBI-producing stud not be thinking fly ball in that situation?

Jedi mind trick in baseball!  Neat!

Bonk

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #1430 on: August 09, 2010, 04:58:36 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 09, 2010, 04:55:27 PM
Quote from: Bonk on August 09, 2010, 04:53:27 PM

Jedi mind trick in baseball!  Neat!

I totally forgot, this is a Bill James is omnipotent board. Outs are always bad. Strike my comments in this thread.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1431 on: August 09, 2010, 04:58:49 PM »
How many K's in those 44 PAs? How many RBI?
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1432 on: August 09, 2010, 04:59:49 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on August 09, 2010, 04:58:49 PM
How many K's in those 44 PAs? How many RBI?

Look 'em up yourself, you lazy, outsourcing bastard.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1433 on: August 09, 2010, 05:01:31 PM »

And yes, Dunn had some ridonkulous streak where he hadn't had a SAC fly in ages.  Why Bonk thinks that this sort of statistical aberration fairly signifies a blight on Dunn's career is beyond me, but here we are.

OK, I'll bite.  No, it doesn't do that at all.  Because he didn't go 1,085 PA without a sac fly.  He only went 44 (assuming Yeti's number is approximately right).  He cannot control whether or not he comes up in a sac fly situation, only whether or not he performs when he does come up in such a situation.  It's the same flawed logic that assumes that RBI is a meaningful statistic - a player cannot control whether or not the players in front of him get on base so he can drive them in.  Take D-Lee in 2005 - the poor guy had Korey and Neifi bat in front of him at times, which hurt his triple crown chances because he couldn't get the RBIs.  Is that his fault?
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Bonk

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #1434 on: August 09, 2010, 05:04:09 PM »
Quote from: morpheus on August 09, 2010, 05:01:31 PM

OK, I'll bite.  No, it doesn't do that at all.  Because he didn't go 1,085 PA without a sac fly.  He only went 44 (assuming Yeti's number is approximately right).  He cannot control whether or not he comes up in a sac fly situation, only whether or not he performs when he does come up in such a situation.  It's the same flawed logic that assumes that RBI is a meaningful statistic - a player cannot control whether or not the players in front of him get on base so he can drive them in.  Take D-Lee in 2005 - the poor guy had Korey and Neifi bat in front of him at times, which hurt his triple crown chances because he couldn't get the RBIs.  Is that his fault?

Yeti said he had 44 PA in 2004, not during the whole streak.

RBI is a bad stat? I think we're done here.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1435 on: August 09, 2010, 05:05:10 PM »
I like it when Bonk shows up, because he reminds me that meatball fans still exist even in the enlightened space of the Desipiotubes.

I still don't understand why it's a tick AGAINST Dunn that pitchers would pitch around him. How is this his fault? And isn't it a sign that pitchers - who sometimes base their pitching strategy on SCOUTING reports prepared by Tocco-esque SCOUTS, not printouts from the Bill James Queeromatic 5000atron Machine - respect him, and therefore he might be a pretty good hitter?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1436 on: August 09, 2010, 05:07:01 PM »
Quote from: R-V on August 09, 2010, 05:05:10 PM
I like it when Bonk shows up, because he reminds me that meatball fans still exist even in the enlightened space of the Desipiotubes.

I still don't understand why it's a tick AGAINST Dunn that pitchers would pitch around him. How is this his fault? And isn't it a sign that pitchers - who sometimes base their pitching strategy on SCOUTING reports prepared by Tocco-esque SCOUTS, not printouts from the Bill James Queeromatic 5000atron Machine - respect him, and therefore he might be a pretty good hitter?

Can I get one of these on eBay to send to Tom Ricketts?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1437 on: August 09, 2010, 05:09:34 PM »
QuoteRBI is a bad stat? I think we're done here.

I should say so.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1438 on: August 09, 2010, 05:10:05 PM »
Quote from: morpheus on August 09, 2010, 05:01:31 PM

Au contraire.  If he were any kind of a  leader he would take those batting before him in the inning by their necks and scare their little butts into getting on base and over to third.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Bonk

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #1439 on: August 09, 2010, 05:15:21 PM »
Quote from: R-V on August 09, 2010, 05:05:10 PM

And some people here remind me how out of touch with reality statheads can be.

Also, show me where I said walks are bad with RISP? I think BA is more important because unless he walks with the bases clogged, that's the only way runs score. You know, runs? That's how wins and losses are measured, in case you'd forgotten, and he's paid to drive them in.