News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Pollyellon banned me  ( 370,818 )

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
Re: Pollyellon banned me
« Reply #1680 on: October 10, 2012, 09:12:47 PM »
Wait, we're only one Shane Victorino and one Kevin Youkilis away from turning this thing around? How did I miss this?

Theo, make it happen!
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1681 on: October 10, 2012, 09:34:08 PM »
Quote from: Armchair_QB on October 10, 2012, 09:12:47 PM
Wait, we're only one Shane Victorino and one Kevin Youkilis away from turning this thing around? How did I miss this?

Theo, make it happen!

He wouldn't address the length of the contracts either.

God he's fucking retarded.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #1682 on: October 10, 2012, 09:37:01 PM »
Hendry would have had them signed by now...

Nice choice Tom.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1683 on: October 10, 2012, 09:43:54 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 10, 2012, 09:34:08 PM
Quote from: Armchair_QB on October 10, 2012, 09:12:47 PM

Theo, make it happen!

He wouldn't address the length of the contracts either.

God he's fucking retarded.

Can't you read?

QuoteThe only one of the players above I'd advocate signing for more than two years is Sanchez

Seriously, Al's plan is to sign Anibal Sanchez, Ervin Santana, Kevin Youkilis and Shane Victorino...then PROFIT!

And it appears most of this plan hinges on the willingness of these older players to take 2 year contracts (or less) and not regress with age or get injured.  

Oh, and Shawn Camp will have to be able to get people out.

I haven't seen a plan this foolproof since Gary Gaetti was resigned.  Somewhere, Andy MacPhail is reading this article and nodding to himself.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1684 on: October 11, 2012, 02:35:38 AM »
Al misses a point like almost no other, but he's really excelled himself this time.  Hey everybody!  You know that long-term plan to turn the Cubs into a perennial contender?  Let's set that back two or three years so that we can give them a tiny chance to get swept in the DCS by Washington!

What a fucking numpty.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1685 on: October 11, 2012, 07:30:57 AM »
When Ervin Santana has a 73 OPS+ last year, you gotta get that guy

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1686 on: October 11, 2012, 07:52:17 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on October 11, 2012, 07:30:57 AM

Ervin Santana was good before last year, isn't old and is probably worth the risk. But i'd assume he'd still be pretty expensive.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1687 on: October 11, 2012, 07:57:29 AM »
Quote from: BH on October 11, 2012, 07:52:17 AM

Ervin Santana was good before last year, isn't old and is probably worth the risk. But i'd assume he'd still be pretty expensive.

Quite.  Yetti, you're missing the point.  It's not a question of how he's going to perform, it's a question of what he will cost.  If the Cubs wanted to sign Santana in a year's time to make a proper run at 2014, I wouldn't have a problem with it per se.  Signing him - or anyone that makes more than major league minimum, frankly - for 2013, though, would be completely fucking pointless.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1688 on: October 11, 2012, 08:42:10 AM »

Pretty damn good for a pitcher. In the American League even. I think Al's right, they need another Carlos Zambrano type to surprise teams at the plate.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1689 on: October 11, 2012, 09:11:28 AM »
I'm really trying to just let this whole thing go, but after reading Al's tripe I can't unread it.  He's such a goddamn train wreck.

I guess the good news for Bud Selig is that his new Wild Card format is working - Al apparently thinks that because 4 .500 teams competed for Wild Card spots at the end of the year (although none made it) that .500 or bust should be the goal.

Then there's Al's other inspiration:

QuoteFor example, look at the Oakland Athletics' playoff roster and the following players, all of whom were acquired by Billy Beane after the end of the 2011 season: Tom Milone, Pat Neshek, Jarrod Parker, George Kottaras, Derek Norris, Stephen Drew, Brandon Moss, Yoenis Cespedes, Jonny Gomes, Josh Reddick and Seth Smith.

With the possible exception of Cespedes -- and the Cubs bid on him too -- could you have honestly said that any of those players would have been key contributors to a 2012 playoff team, if you had been asked a year ago? The answer to that is "No way." But there they are, part of a 94-win team. And many of those players were acquired when Oakland traded away their best pitcher from last year, Gio Gonzalez, and their closer, Andrew Bailey.

So Al's dumbass plan is to emulate the results of the Oakland A's (a 20 win improvement year over year) but he never even suggests following the method they used (trading Garza and Marmol)?!?

Forget it CT, it's Yellontown

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1690 on: October 11, 2012, 09:31:48 AM »
Quote from: CT III on October 11, 2012, 09:11:28 AM
I'm really trying to just let this whole thing go, but after reading Al's tripe I can't unread it.  He's such a goddamn train wreck.

I guess the good news for Bud Selig is that his new Wild Card format is working - Al apparently thinks that because 4 .500 teams competed for Wild Card spots at the end of the year (although none made it) that .500 or bust should be the goal.

Then there's Al's other inspiration:

QuoteFor example, look at the Oakland Athletics' playoff roster and the following players, all of whom were acquired by Billy Beane after the end of the 2011 season: Tom Milone, Pat Neshek, Jarrod Parker, George Kottaras, Derek Norris, Stephen Drew, Brandon Moss, Yoenis Cespedes, Jonny Gomes, Josh Reddick and Seth Smith.

With the possible exception of Cespedes -- and the Cubs bid on him too -- could you have honestly said that any of those players would have been key contributors to a 2012 playoff team, if you had been asked a year ago? The answer to that is "No way." But there they are, part of a 94-win team. And many of those players were acquired when Oakland traded away their best pitcher from last year, Gio Gonzalez, and their closer, Andrew Bailey.

So Al's dumbass plan is to emulate the results of the Oakland A's (a 20 win improvement year over year) but he never even suggests following the method they used (trading Garza and Marmol)?!?

Forget it CT, it's Yellontown

Quote from: Alvin Yellon...could you have honestly said that any of those players would have been key contributors to a 2012 playoff team, if you had been asked a year ago? The answer to that is "No way."

So his gloss on the A's strategy more or less boils down to "sign a bunch of guys no one thinks will get you to the playoffs and see how it plays out"?

This is giving me brain damage.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1691 on: October 11, 2012, 09:33:57 AM »

That's pretty amazing.

"Don't just give up before the season starts! Be like the A's, who kind of gave up before the season started!"

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1692 on: October 11, 2012, 09:51:18 AM »
Quote from: Eli on October 11, 2012, 09:33:57 AM

That's pretty amazing.

"Don't just give up before the season starts! Be like the A's, who kind of gave up before the season started!"

Just be like the A's who stockpiled an amazing array of quality arms over a few seasons but do it in one offseason magically I guess!

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #1693 on: October 11, 2012, 10:12:48 AM »
I'm breathlessly awaiting Al's next post on Part 2 of his Cubs Take The Wildcard In 2013 Plan.

I'm guessing it revolves around him petitioning Bud Selig to let the Cubs play Houston and Seattle 40 times each next season.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1694 on: October 11, 2012, 10:22:13 AM »
I can't wait for the 2013 baseball season to end.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.