News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Twins SPLOOGEFEST  ( 58,265 )

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Twins SPLOOGEFEST
« Reply #135 on: October 05, 2009, 01:33:36 PM »
I love the fact that Cabrera was picked up from jail by GM Dave Dombrowski.
"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #136 on: October 05, 2009, 01:49:04 PM »
Quote from: Dave B on October 05, 2009, 01:33:36 PM
I love the fact that Cabrera was picked up from jail by GM Dave Dombrowski.

Nice choice, Jim.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Lance Dicksons Arm

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #137 on: October 05, 2009, 02:03:36 PM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on October 05, 2009, 01:00:54 PM
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on October 05, 2009, 12:50:19 PM
You seem to be dodging my real question.  Are you saying that his behavior is OK, and that he deserves absolutely no backlash assuming the facts are as reported?

I think he deserves to take some grief for his actions. That said, as Pen notes, he's one of the guys that got them to this point in the first place.

My bigger quibble is with this (a far cry from saying he deserves more than "absolutely no backlash" for this behavior)...

Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on October 05, 2009, 11:48:20 AM
If I were a GM, this guy would be on my list of players I wouldn't get near with Joe Francis' cock.

Are you saying you wouldn't want this CLUBHOUSE CANCER anywhere near the Cubs, for example?

Because that would be a ludicrous thing to say.

It's less about him being a "Clubhouse Cancer", and more about the fact that I'd be nervous paying this guy an average of $19M over seven years when he clearly doesn't take care of himself...and apparently, has some pretty shitty judgment to go along with it.   If there's anything we've learned recently from the thrilling action of Cubs baseball...it should be the damage of bad/risky contracts that you can't unload.

Here's Cabrera's contract schedule:   08:$11.3M, 09:$15M, 10:$20M, 11:$20M, 12:$21M, 13:$21M, 14:$22M, 15:$22M

Sorry, you can have that.  Also, First Basemen with low .900 OPS basically grow on trees.  There were 12 of them that had a qualifying number of ABs.   Cabrera was eighth on the list.

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?teamPosCode=3&statType=1&timeFrame=1&c_id=mlb&statSet1=2&sitSplit=&venueID=&section1=1&subScope=pos&baseballScope=mlb&timeSubFrame=2009&&sortByStat=OPS

So yea...I don't really feel like I need him for that price.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #138 on: October 05, 2009, 02:04:11 PM »
Quote from: MAD on October 05, 2009, 01:14:51 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on October 05, 2009, 01:13:30 PM
Quote from: MAD on October 05, 2009, 01:10:44 PM
I don't know the strip clubs that PenFoe goes to, but if I thought that there was jizz that needed to be mopped at any of the places I had visited in my youth, I never would have set foot inside.  Gross.

We get it, you're cheap.

Perhaps, but I mainly try to stay away from strip clubs that have jizz on the floor.

We get it, you've never been to a strip club.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #139 on: October 05, 2009, 02:35:52 PM »
Quote from: motown on October 05, 2009, 12:51:44 PM
How bout Cabrera's wife? Is there a reason she's nagging him at that hour of the night?

Quote from: BH on October 05, 2009, 12:56:21 PM
What if he was drinking to relate more to depressed, jobless Detroit autoworkers?

I love these posts.
Hire Jim Essian!

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #140 on: October 05, 2009, 02:40:31 PM »
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on October 05, 2009, 02:03:36 PM
You seem to be dodging my real question.  Are you saying that his behavior is OK, and that he deserves absolutely no backlash assuming the facts are as reported?

I think he deserves to take some grief for his actions. That said, as Pen notes, he's one of the guys that got them to this point in the first place.

My bigger quibble is with this (a far cry from saying he deserves more than "absolutely no backlash" for this behavior)...

If I were a GM, this guy would be on my list of players I wouldn't get near with Joe Francis' cock.

Are you saying you wouldn't want this CLUBHOUSE CANCER anywhere near the Cubs, for example?

It's less about him being a "Clubhouse Cancer", and more about the fact that I'd be nervous paying this guy an average of $19M over seven years when he clearly doesn't take care of himself...and apparently, has some pretty shitty judgment to go along with it.   If there's anything we've learned recently from the thrilling action of Cubs baseball...it should be the damage of bad/risky contracts that you can't unload.

Here's Cabrera's contract schedule:   08:$11.3M, 09:$15M, 10:$20M, 11:$20M, 12:$21M, 13:$21M, 14:$22M, 15:$22M

Sorry, you can have that.  Also, First Basemen with low .900 OPS basically grow on trees.  There were 12 of them that had a qualifying number of ABs.   Cabrera was eighth on the list.

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?teamPosCode=3&statType=1&timeFrame=1&c_id=mlb&statSet1=2&sitSplit=&venueID=&section1=1&subScope=pos&baseballScope=mlb&timeSubFrame=2009&&sortByStat=OPS

Michael Rosenberg subscribes to LDA's newsletter.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

motown

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #141 on: October 05, 2009, 03:43:20 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on October 05, 2009, 02:40:31 PM

Well, fraternizing with the opposing team in the middle of a pennant race, being drunk late on a "work" night, and smacking his wife around... that's one thing. But:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20091005/SPORTS0104/910050376/Tigers-warned-Cabrera-after-bar-altercation-in-August--reports-show

Making fun of a fat kid? The straw that broke the camel's back.  I'm lobbying my Tiger fan friends to start a campaign to trade this loser ASAP. To the Cubs.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #142 on: October 05, 2009, 03:44:49 PM »
Quote from: motown on October 05, 2009, 03:43:20 PM
Making fun of a fat kid? The straw that broke the camel's back.  I'm lobbying my Tiger fan friends to start a campaign to trade this loser ASAP. To the Cubs.

Please don't.  Miguel Cabreras grow on trees.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #143 on: October 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM »

Well, fraternizing with the opposing team in the middle of a pennant race, being drunk late on a "work" night, and smacking his wife around... that's one thing. But:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20091005/SPORTS0104/910050376/Tigers-warned-Cabrera-after-bar-altercation-in-August--reports-show

Such a move would make make BananaHands devour some breakfast between heaving sobs.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #144 on: October 05, 2009, 03:51:31 PM »
Quote from: MAD on October 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Such a move would make make BananaHands devour some breakfast between heaving sobs.

Cabrera was a fat kid, he can make fun of other fat kids. It's a rule.
It's why Fork can make fun of unfunny people.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #145 on: October 05, 2009, 03:54:00 PM »
Quote from: BH on October 05, 2009, 03:51:31 PM
Quote from: MAD on October 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Cabrera was a fat kid, he can make fun of other fat kids. It's a rule.
It's why Fork can make fun of unfunny people.

Why Mike Douche can call mentally challenged people "retards" while wearing a bike helmet.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Lance Dicksons Arm

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #146 on: October 05, 2009, 03:55:06 PM »
So you guys think the upgrade from Lee to Cabrera is really worth $7M extra per season along with a 4-year investment at that cost?     

It's fine to say "Bring Miggy here"....but the Cubs don't really need him.  They certainly don't need his price tag...current state of affairs as they are.  Not unless you still believe this is all Monopoly money to the guys who will soon own the team.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #147 on: October 05, 2009, 04:01:21 PM »
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on October 05, 2009, 03:55:06 PM
So you guys think the upgrade from Lee to Cabrera is really worth $7M extra per season along with a 4-year investment at that cost?     

It's fine to say "Bring Miggy here"....but the Cubs don't really need him.  They certainly don't need his price tag...current state of affairs as they are.  Not unless you still believe this is all Monopoly money to the guys who will soon own the team.

I don't think anyone actually meant to trade for Miggy or figured out the logistics of how it would work, just that he's awesome and it would be great if he was on the Cubs.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #148 on: October 05, 2009, 04:15:08 PM »

I'm not saying Cabrera's worth the price, but you do realize 2 ABs
is not qualifying for anything other than not mattering in any way. 
A good rule of thumb that you might consider using is any list that
says Justin Huber is the 4th best 1B in the MLB is wrong.

Lee will be 34 and has a career 125 OPS+
Fatty will be 27 and has a career 140 OPS+

I like Lee, he's under contract, no way in the world the Cubs get
Cabrera, so it's a silly topic.

But to call him the 12th best 1B in the league is crazy crazy crazy
crazy sauce.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #149 on: October 05, 2009, 04:22:32 PM »
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on October 05, 2009, 03:55:06 PM

No one is talking about this.