News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The All-Purpose No Bullshit Tolerating Who Should Be the Next Manager Thread  ( 58,110 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Great news, everyone.

QuoteRyne Sandberg told ESPN Radio that he is "ready" to manage the Cubs.

IT'S RYNO TYME!!!
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

yeah, just wait until GEORGE HUTCHINS goes on his RYNO HUNT!!!
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
I'd be OK with this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5398820

QuoteFormer Florida Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez will be one of the candidates interviewed for the Chicago Cubs  managerial job, according to a major league source.

Gonzalez, who was fired by the Marlins on June 24, has a long personal and professional relationship with Cubs general manager Jim Hendry stemming from the time they worked together with the Marlins.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
I have a gut feeling that Hendry will conduct some kind of search in earnest, give guys like Sandberg and Brenly and whoever else a token interview and then have Tom Ricketts demand that he hire Sandberg. Hendry probably knows this, but what other choice does he have?

He's hardly the type to quit in a huff over being undermined by his boss, and a couple more years as GM gives him a chance to leave the Cubs when they're not in a world of hurt.

If Ricketts fired Hendry and brought in some new guy, that new guy would want to hire his own manager. I think some promise was made to Sandberg by one of the Ricketts, and that's why he's in Des Moines.  I also think that if he's not the manager, he'll cut ties from the organization.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Brownie on July 22, 2010, 09:41:07 AM
I have a gut feeling that Hendry will conduct some kind of search in earnest, give guys like Sandberg and Brenly and whoever else a token interview and then have Tom Ricketts demand that he hire Sandberg. Hendry probably knows this, but what other choice does he have?

He's hardly the type to quit in a huff over being undermined by his boss, and a couple more years as GM gives him a chance to leave the Cubs when they're not in a world of hurt.

If Ricketts fired Hendry and brought in some new guy, that new guy would want to hire his own manager. I think some promise was made to Sandberg by one of the Ricketts, and that's why he's in Des Moines.  I also think that if he's not the manager, he'll cut ties from the organization.

He's been cuckolded by the Cubs - the fact that the Cubs sent one of their all-time greats to manage A ball, and he took it, shows he'll pretty much eat whatever shit the Cubs feel like putting on his plate.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club

Agreed.

Unless they don't care about destroying their relationship with this generation's most popular Cub - who also happens to be a Hall of Famer - they really have no choice but to hire Sandberg whether he's up for the task or not. Hopefully he will be because it looks like he'll be the guy.

I'm really not sure how I feel about this. I hate to side with the meathead fanbase that only thinks RYNOOOOO WILL SAVE OUR CUBBIEEZZZ!!! but, when you stop and think about it, hiring him does make a certain amount of sense - and I can't believe I just typed that - from Ricketts' point of view.

If Ricketts is committed to building from within then hiring a guy who has managed at all levels of the system is probably the way to go. Sandberg's had three years working on the minor league side in spring training and has probably managed a number of prospects at more than one stop on the way up so he should have a pretty good idea how to manage the kids who are supposed to be on in Chicago in the near future.

Whether or not the Cubs should be committed to a youth movement is a completely separate discussion but if that's the way they're headed then an "organization" guy makes sense.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Armchair_QB on July 22, 2010, 09:58:34 AM
I hate to side with the meathead fanbase that only thinks RYNOOOOO WILL SAVE OUR CUBBIEEZZZ!!! but, when you stop and think about it, hiring him does make a certain amount of sense - and I can't believe I just typed that - from Ricketts' point of view.

Just so long as that sense has nothing to do with winning and only about "getting it."

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Fork on July 22, 2010, 09:55:08 AM

He's been cuckolded by the Cubs - the fact that the Cubs sent one of their all-time greats to manage A ball, and he took it, shows he'll pretty much eat whatever shit the Cubs feel like putting on his plate.

Unless, of course, he took the assignment to A ball with the expectation that they were prepping him for the major league club.

Which I think is what we all assume.

And in which case a snub would probably piss him off that much more.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 22, 2010, 10:11:45 AM
Quote from: Fork on July 22, 2010, 09:55:08 AM

Unless, of course, he took the assignment to A ball with the expectation that they were prepping him for the major league club.

Which I think is what we all assume.

And in which case a snub would probably piss him off that much more.

A team sending an HOFer to A ball to manage is hardly standard practice.
TIME TO POST!

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on July 22, 2010, 09:20:17 AM
I'd be OK with this:

QuoteFormer Florida Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez will be one of the candidates interviewed for the Chicago Cubs  managerial job, according to a major league source.

Gonzalez, who was fired by the Marlins on June 24, has a long personal and professional relationship with Cubs general manager Jim Hendry stemming from the time they worked together with the Marlins.

So, it's a given that Hendry's the general manager after the season?  I'm for serial.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on July 22, 2010, 11:15:50 AM
I'd be OK with this:

So, it's a given that Hendry's the general manager after the season?  I'm for serial.

Heh

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
I'd be OK with this:

Might not be the best move. But yeti thinks it's the right move.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: BH on July 22, 2010, 11:22:42 AM
I'd be OK with this:

Fuckin fuck fuck fuck.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: BH on July 22, 2010, 11:22:42 AM
I'd be OK with this:

Thanks PenFoe

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Fork on July 22, 2010, 10:17:33 AM
A team sending an HOFer to A ball to manage is hardly standard practice.

The Phillies did it to Mike Schmidt in hopes he'd say "fuck it" and quit and he did.  The Cubs?  Oh they're never that lucky.