News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The All-Purpose No Bullshit Tolerating Who Should Be the Next Manager Thread  ( 58,109 )

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Armchair_QB on July 26, 2010, 11:19:04 AM
I was impressed with Valentine as a pbp guy.

Wait.  You mean "color" guy, right?
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on July 26, 2010, 10:34:19 AM
Quote from: Armchair_QB on July 25, 2010, 11:07:52 PM
Bobby V spent three-and-a-half hours tonight interviewing for the job on ESPN. I don't think I've ever heard a national p-b-p guy spend an entire game analyzing only one team.

He did spend a significant amount of time discussing Jon Jay's swing as well.

Say what you will about Valentine (I'm neutral on him as a managerial candidate for the Cubs)...I think he's an interesting guy to listen to.  He has an opinion, it's not the same recycled shit that most other color guys provide.  I thought that broadcast last night was better than the last two Sunday nights with Miller and Morgan out of the way.

Then again, I like Joe Buck.  So I'm prepared to again sit by myself in the corner, drinking non-alcoholic beer, getting turned down by hairy tanged fat broads.

I thought that was a great crew last night as well. I didn't even notice that Miller wasn't there.

I was impressed with Valentine as a pbp guy. First time I've heard him. I know he talked about the Cards but it just seemed like he spent way too much time critiquing the Cub players. More than you would expect from a national guy who only sees a team once or twice a year.

I only heard extra innings from that ESPN team. Pat and Ron talked me home from Indy, and they were great. What I heard from Valentine et al. was kind of an unfunny clusterfuck. Beat the shit out of Miller/Morgan though.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: MAD on July 26, 2010, 11:22:30 AM

Schulman did PBP

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

He can't do color quite like ole Joe.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Yeti on July 26, 2010, 11:57:26 AM

8-year-old joke.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Internet Apex on July 26, 2010, 12:03:24 PM
Quote from: Yeti on July 26, 2010, 11:57:26 AM

8-year-old joke.

You didn't think that would be a perfect fit for me? My girlfriend texted it to me with this phone

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club

Oops. yeah, I do.

"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club

Racist.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
First up...Eric Wedge.

Former Cleveland Indians  manager Eric Wedge had a face-to-face interview with Cubs general manager Jim Hendry on Thursday in Cleveland, as Hendry searches for a replacement for retired manager Lou Piniella. Wedge managed the Indians from 2003-09, winning the American League Manager of the Year Award in 2007, when he guided the Indians to the ALCS, only to lose to the Boston Red Sox after going up 3-1. Wedge, 42, won over 500 games with the Indians, including a first-place finish in 2007 and finishing second in 2005 behind the world champion Chicago White Sox.

"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PenPho on August 26, 2010, 06:37:21 PM
First up...Eric Wedge.

Former Cleveland Indians  manager Eric Wedge had a face-to-face interview with Cubs general manager Jim Hendry on Thursday in Cleveland, as Hendry searches for a replacement for retired manager Lou Piniella. Wedge managed the Indians from 2003-09, winning the American League Manager of the Year Award in 2007, when he guided the Indians to the ALCS, only to lose to the Boston Red Sox after going up 3-1. Wedge, 42, won over 500 games with the Indians, including a first-place finish in 2007 and finishing second in 2005 behind the world champion Chicago White Sox.

Intrepid Reader: Yeti

I don't know about you guys, but anytime a GM interviews managerial candidates one-on-one, I take it as a sure sign he's about to get fired.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
First up...Eric Wedge.

Wedge GETS IT.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: R-V on August 26, 2010, 08:32:15 PM
First up...Eric Wedge.

Intrepid Reader: Yeti

I don't know about you guys, but anytime a GM interviews managerial candidates one-on-one, I take it as a sure sign he's about to get fired.

Fo shizzle.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
They could do a lot worse than Wedge.  Like Ryne Sandberg, for instance.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on August 27, 2010, 09:06:22 AM

Yeah, Wedge is a good candidate. It is just troubling that the GM-who-should-be-fired is the one doing the interviewing.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on August 27, 2010, 09:06:22 AM

That's just dumb.  A few years back, there was a guy named Mike Murphy calling the Twins new manager "Gardenvariety" because MacPhail was going to hire him on the cheap.  Instead, we got Don Baylor.

I wouldn't hire Sandberg and I hope the Cubs don't.  But that's only because Sandberg's ability is unknown.  We don't know if he'll be better or worse than Wedge.

:::UPDATE:::

Wow.  Did you know that before Wedge took the Injuns job he was their A manager, then their AA manager, then their AAA manager?

What a fucken pathetic track to become a manager at the major league level.