News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The All-Purpose No Bullshit Tolerating Who Should Be the Next Manager Thread  ( 58,111 )

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on August 27, 2010, 01:03:07 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on August 27, 2010, 12:30:20 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 27, 2010, 10:03:16 AM
Quote from: Eli on August 27, 2010, 09:57:53 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 27, 2010, 09:09:46 AM
Quote from: Eli on August 27, 2010, 09:06:22 AM
They could do a lot worse than Wedge.  Like Ryne Sandberg, for instance.

That's just dumb.  A few years back, there was a guy named Mike Murphy calling the Twins new manager "Gardenvariety" because MacPhail was going to hire him on the cheap.  Instead, we got Don Baylor.

I wouldn't hire Sandberg and I hope the Cubs don't.  But that's only because Sandberg's ability is unknown.  We don't know if he'll be better or worse than Wedge.

:::UPDATE:::

Wow.  Did you know that before Wedge took the Injuns job he was their A manager, then their AA manager, then their AAA manager?

What a fucken pathetic track to become a manager at the major league level.

I've read this three times and have no idea what your point is.

That explains a lot.

Please share an example of at least one thing that you think that explains.

Chuck thinks I'm stupid, I guess.

You could do a lot worse.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Yeti on August 27, 2010, 10:17:08 AM

That's just dumb.  A few years back, there was a guy named Mike Murphy calling the Twins new manager "Gardenvariety" because MacPhail was going to hire him on the cheap.  Instead, we got Don Baylor.

I wouldn't hire Sandberg and I hope the Cubs don't.  But that's only because Sandberg's ability is unknown.  We don't know if he'll be better or worse than Wedge.

Wow.  Did you know that before Wedge took the Injuns job he was their A manager, then their AA manager, then their AAA manager?

I think he point was that Sandberg and Wedge may be the same guy? I dunno.

No, I think that he was pointing out that this was the perfect illustration of the Peter Principle.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: CBStew on August 27, 2010, 01:15:58 PM

No, I think that he was pointing out that this was the perfect illustration of the Peter Principle.

Peter Principle
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search
For the BBC sitcom, see The Peter Principle (TV series).
The Peter Principle is the principle that "in a hierarchy every employee tends to rise to their level of incompetence".

It was formulated by Dr. Laurence J. Peter and Raymond Hull in their 1969 book The Peter Principle, a humorous treatise which also introduced the "salutary science of hierarchiology", "inadvertently founded" by Peter. It holds that in a hierarchy, members are promoted so long as they work competently. Sooner or later they are promoted to a position at which they are no longer competent (their "level of incompetence"), and there they remain, being unable to earn further promotions. This principle can be modelled and has theoretical validity.[1] Peter's Corollary states that "in time, every post tends to be occupied by an employee who is incompetent to carry out their duties" and adds that "work is accomplished by those employees who have not yet reached their level of incompetence".
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: CBStew on August 27, 2010, 01:19:11 PM
Quote from: CBStew on August 27, 2010, 01:15:58 PM

Peter Principle
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search
For the BBC sitcom, see The Peter Principle (TV series).
The Peter Principle is the principle that "in a hierarchy every employee tends to rise to their level of incompetence".

It was formulated by Dr. Laurence J. Peter and Raymond Hull in their 1969 book The Peter Principle, a humorous treatise which also introduced the "salutary science of hierarchiology", "inadvertently founded" by Peter. It holds that in a hierarchy, members are promoted so long as they work competently. Sooner or later they are promoted to a position at which they are no longer competent (their "level of incompetence"), and there they remain, being unable to earn further promotions. This principle can be modelled and has theoretical validity.[1] Peter's Corollary states that "in time, every post tends to be occupied by an employee who is incompetent to carry out their duties" and adds that "work is accomplished by those employees who have not yet reached their level of incompetence".

CBHStew

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
This doesn't really say anything about the managerial search.  It's great evidence for the statement, "Jon Greenberg is a crappy writer", though.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Night Man on August 29, 2010, 10:46:50 PM
This doesn't really say anything about the managerial search.  It's great evidence for the statement, "Jon Greenberg is a crappy writer", though.

Thanks for the link then?
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Internet Apex on August 29, 2010, 11:20:33 PM
Quote from: Night Man on August 29, 2010, 10:46:50 PM

Thanks for the link then?

This site is one of the greatest places for mocking crappiness in the important field of Chicago sports on the internet.  Show some respect.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
The Hawk didn't really slather his good buddy Ryno with effusive praise, did he?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-spt-0831-cubs-bits--20100830,0,3889520.story

Quote"I'm still kind of amazed that he wants to do it at this level," Dawson said. "It's different at the minor-league level when you're doing a little bit more evaluating and you're working with the kids and you're trying to get them to the next level. Here it's egos, attitudes, business and you're under the microscope a little bit more. Ryno, I never envisioned that as a player. He was a little bit more laid-back, quiet ...

"Maybe there's a different animal now that surfaced. But I wish him well. Anyone who wants to take that on, who wants that challenge, I really wish him the best. I think he'd do a good job at it. He's respected in that manner. He played the game the way he was supposed to play the game. He knows how to win the respect of his peers, of the players he'd be above.

"So I think he'd do very well at it, but initially if he's thrust in a situation where you're talking about winning right off the bat, it's going to be a little more complex for him. But I think eventually he's going to groom himself into an individual that's going to do a better than average job at it."

Sounds like the exact situation that we've all been wary of from the start.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Internet Apex on August 31, 2010, 09:41:28 AM
The Hawk didn't really slather his good buddy Ryno with effusive praise, did he?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-spt-0831-cubs-bits--20100830,0,3889520.story

Quote"I'm still kind of amazed that he wants to do it at this level," Dawson said. "It's different at the minor-league level when you're doing a little bit more evaluating and you're working with the kids and you're trying to get them to the next level. Here it's egos, attitudes, business and you're under the microscope a little bit more. Ryno, I never envisioned that as a player. He was a little bit more laid-back, quiet ...

"Maybe there's a different animal now that surfaced. But I wish him well. Anyone who wants to take that on, who wants that challenge, I really wish him the best. I think he'd do a good job at it. He's respected in that manner. He played the game the way he was supposed to play the game. He knows how to win the respect of his peers, of the players he'd be above.

"So I think he'd do very well at it, but initially if he's thrust in a situation where you're talking about winning right off the bat, it's going to be a little more complex for him. But I think eventually he's going to groom himself into an individual that's going to do a better than average job at it."

BETTER THAN AVERAGE!
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on August 31, 2010, 10:32:38 AM

BETTER THAN AVERAGE!

I'm just glad to learn that Ryno played the game the way it was meant to be played. I've always hoped that was true, but no one could ever confirm it by mentioning it every time his time as a player is discussed.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Bort on August 31, 2010, 10:35:44 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on August 31, 2010, 10:32:38 AM

BETTER THAN AVERAGE!

I'm just glad to learn that Ryno played the game the way it was meant to be played. I've always hoped that was true, but no one could ever confirm it by mentioning it every time his time as a player is discussed.

I remember when he hit two game-tying homers off of Bruce Sutter when NOBODY was doing that to Bruce Sutter. That is winning baseball the Ryne Sandberg way. If he can bring that element to the Cubs then I say sign him up to a lifetime contract. Just hand him a blank contract and let him write up the details and the fine print. Let his lawyers get buck nutty on the thing and hand it back to Hendry. You can't put a price on that kind of excellence in baseball playing correctness.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
I really wish someone would challenge this "playing the game the correct way."  Look, I know we poke fun at it whenever it's mentioned.  I don't know what "baseball playing correctness" translates for everyone here, but to me it means tha the player genuinely desires to do everything in his power to play the game in such a way (I know, I don't really know what that means) that makes his team better.  Practicing bunting.  Running out routine grounders.  Using your nonglove hand to assist in catching fly balls.  Diving.  Dirtying up a uniform.  Grit.  Determination.  Flipping your flip shades down when the ball is hit in the air for crying out loud.  Studying the opposing players and away parks.

All those things are played up by commentators and talking heads and downplayed by douchebag, mom's basement statatron types.  Certainly there's something admirable about those so called "intangibles".  That doesn't really make Ryne Sandberg a great baseball player or manager.  It makes him a more focused and dedicated player or manager and definitely gives him an edge, but it doesn't mean it's the be all and end all.

Why can't people just say that he fills a lineup card okay and plays the best players, doesn't run his starters into the ground and happens to get along with most the guys on the team?  That's really all managing is, right?  So easy even a caveman can do it?

Anyway, maybe I'm out of line.  It's football season, after all.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on August 31, 2010, 03:00:51 PM
I really wish someone would challenge this "playing the game the correct way."  Look, I know we poke fun at it whenever it's mentioned.  I don't know what "baseball playing correctness" translates for everyone here, but to me it means tha the player genuinely desires to do everything in his power to play the game in such a way (I know, I don't really know what that means) that makes his team better.  Practicing bunting.  Running out routine grounders.  Using your nonglove hand to assist in catching fly balls.  Diving.  Dirtying up a uniform.  Grit.  Determination.  Flipping your flip shades down when the ball is hit in the air for crying out loud.  Studying the opposing players and away parks.

All those things are played up by commentators and talking heads and downplayed by douchebag, mom's basement statatron types.  Certainly there's something admirable about those so called "intangibles".  That doesn't really make Ryne Sandberg a great baseball player or manager.  It makes him a more focused and dedicated player or manager and definitely gives him an edge, but it doesn't mean it's the be all and end all.

Why can't people just say that he fills a lineup card okay and plays the best players, doesn't run his starters into the ground and happens to get along with most the guys on the team?  That's really all managing is, right?  So easy even a caveman can do it?

Anyway, maybe I'm out of line.  It's football season, after all.

I, er, would like to kind of endorse this post

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: The All-Purpose No Bullshit Tolerating Who Should Be the Next Manager Thread
« Reply #133 on: September 02, 2010, 10:34:30 PM »
Two questions.

1. Does anybody think that the Cubs can possibly win a World Championship so long as Jim Hendry helms the organization?

2. If the answer to #1 is "hellz no," and if Hendry is indeed returning for 2011 -- and, Christ, possibly beyond -- does his choice of manager actually matter?

Therefore, it might as well be Ryne Sandberg.  It'll deceive Cub fans into a temporary state of happiness, right up until the continued shitty play of the club turns us against the greatest second baseman to ever wear a Cubs uniform. 

Of course, I'm talking about Glenn Beckert. 
M'lady.

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The All-Purpose No Bullshit Tolerating Who Should Be the Next Manager Thread
« Reply #134 on: September 02, 2010, 11:39:10 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on August 31, 2010, 03:00:51 PM
I really wish someone would challenge this "playing the game the correct way."  Look, I know we poke fun at it whenever it's mentioned.  I don't know what "baseball playing correctness" translates for everyone here...

To me it means playing NOT like Ryan Theriot. 
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!