News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The All-Purpose No Bullshit Tolerating Who Should Be the Next Manager Thread  ( 58,255 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: BH on October 02, 2013, 08:56:59 AM
Quote from: Eli on October 02, 2013, 08:46:16 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on October 01, 2013, 03:32:35 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 01, 2013, 02:20:16 PM
A.J. Hinch!

So...I never followed the D-Backs THAT closely when I lived in Arizona (did you guys know I lived there?) but I remember mostly unmitigated disaster.  It was due largely in part to him having no experience and being perceived as the forced-upon hire by the nerds running the show (sound familiar?)  and there was much rejoicing when Kirk Gibson was hired.  The subsequent winning was also further evidence for the meatballs that nerds are bad managers, even if those guys used to play.  

Really, I don't have much to add.  

I don't know anything about his managing style but I always felt like he was basically used as a scapegoat in Arizona. I've heard from a few fans who thought he was fairly smart and got a raw deal.

It's weird to feel so uninterested in a managerial search. None of it matters until they want to put a competitive team on the field, so I can't bring myself to get too fired up either way.

Arizona's young players did well under Hinch. And he made no huge managing mistakes. Yay?

This is reasonably true in the sense that those were Upton's better times before the fall from grace. But they also led the league in Ks in both 2009 and 2010 (by a wide margin) and got mixed years in there from Drew and Scherzer, both of whom were supposed to be part of the young core.

To Eli's point, it's a little hard to care about any of this, as long as they don't hire someone completely detestable (which I don't think Hinch is) but I was surprised to see his name re-appear.  To be fair, I don't think it should be surprising. He's clearly smart, was seen as an up-and-comer by many and was given a fairly crappy team and they performed crappy.  
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
The problem I see with a guy like Hinch is that they could have had him two years ago.  Why waste time with Dale if you coulda had Hinch (or someome like him in terms of experience level) this whole time?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 02, 2013, 10:15:49 AM
The problem I see with a guy like Hinch is that they could have had him two years ago.  Why waste time with Dale if you coulda had Hinch (or someome like him in terms of experience level) this whole time?

How's that time machine coming along?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

They thought Dale was that guy and he wasn't. 

We can do this in circles until the end of time, but I think at some point we're just going to have to accept that Theo and Jed made a mistake on Sveum and decided it was time to move on.

Shit happens. It doesn't invalidate everything else and good for them for cutting bait while they saw a problem.

They made a bad hire, it happens.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PenFoe on October 02, 2013, 10:30:57 AM

We can do this in circles until the end of time, but I think at some point we're just going to have to accept that Theo and Jed made a mistake on Sveum and decided it was time to move on.

Shit happens. It doesn't invalidate everything else and good for them for cutting bait while they saw a problem.

Chuck doesn't tolerate mistakes.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

I agree, but it seems like some are trying to spin this as, "It's not a mistake, they are just upgrading."

Mistakes happen. But missing the boat on a manager's ability to communicate with young players when you stated you are going young seems to be more than just a small mistake.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 02, 2013, 11:46:52 AM

I agree, but it seems like some are trying to spin this as, "It's not a mistake, they are just upgrading."

Mistakes happen. But missing the boat on a manager's ability to communicate with young players when you stated you are going young seems to be more than just a small mistake.

That seems like you are insinuating Theo and Jed knew Sveum was bad at communicating with young players before they hired him.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on October 02, 2013, 11:58:51 AM

That seems like you are insinuating Theo and Jed knew Sveum was bad at communicating with young players before they hired him.

I don't think that is what he's saying. He's just saying they misjudged that ability. Which they obviously did, but at least they owned up to it and decided to make a change.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on October 02, 2013, 12:42:53 PM

I don't think that is what he's saying. He's just saying they misjudged that ability. Which they obviously did, but at least they owned up to it and decided to make a change.

I don't understand why this is such a big mistake, as Chuck implies. Who cares. The team sucked and would have sucked with the best manager of all time leading the way. The cubs wanted a manager to sit in the dugout and fill out a crappy lineup card for several years until their plan started to get closer, which is exactly what they are doing.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: BH on October 02, 2013, 01:02:28 PM
Quote from: Eli on October 02, 2013, 12:42:53 PM

I don't understand why this is such a big mistake, as Chuck implies. Who cares. The team sucked and would have sucked with the best manager of all time leading the way. The cubs wanted a manager to sit in the dugout and fill out a crappy lineup card for several years until their plan started to get closer, which is exactly what they are doing.

But now Rizzo and Castro are ruined thanks to Sveum and will have to be firebarned.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

It wasn't about results. It was about helping young players develop and they felt that Sveum didn't do a good job of that. Or he showed that he wouldn't be good at it going forward. Or both.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on October 02, 2013, 01:15:11 PM

It wasn't about results. It was about helping young players develop and they felt that Sveum didn't do a good job of that. Or he showed that he wouldn't be good at it going forward. Or both.

I'll throw out a 3rd option... maybe they think someone would be available now that wouldn't be available next year.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: BH on October 02, 2013, 01:30:06 PM

I'll throw out a 3rd option... maybe they think someone would be available now that wouldn't be available next year.

Correct. But that means they know who the guy is and it's a lock to get him.

If this hire is due to a "now or never" opportunity to upgrade, great.  If they fired Dale because he didn't do as expected, Theo/Jed fucked up.  If that's what played out, at least they knew to cut bait now instead of waiting like Ricketts did with Hendry.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 02, 2013, 02:23:18 PM

If this hire is due to a "now or never" opportunity to upgrade, great.  If they fired Dale because he didn't do as expected, Theo/Jed fucked up.  If that's what played out, at least they knew to cut bait now instead of waiting like Ricketts did with Hendry.

If you expect perfection, then why the hell do you root for the Cubs?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: ChuckD on October 02, 2013, 02:32:52 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 02, 2013, 02:23:18 PM

If you expect perfection, then why the hell do you root for the Cubs?

Because no team gives him a better opportunity to bitch about the lack of it.