News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The All-Purpose No Bullshit Tolerating Who Should Be the Next Manager Thread  ( 58,101 )

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 02, 2013, 02:23:18 PM
Quote from: BH on October 02, 2013, 01:30:06 PM
Quote from: Eli on October 02, 2013, 01:15:11 PM
Quote from: BH on October 02, 2013, 01:02:28 PM
I don't understand why this is such a big mistake, as Chuck implies. Who cares. The team sucked and would have sucked with the best manager of all time leading the way. The cubs wanted a manager to sit in the dugout and fill out a crappy lineup card for several years until their plan started to get closer, which is exactly what they are doing.

It wasn't about results. It was about helping young players develop and they felt that Sveum didn't do a good job of that. Or he showed that he wouldn't be good at it going forward. Or both.

I'll throw out a 3rd option... maybe they think someone would be available now that wouldn't be available next year.

Correct. But that means they know who the guy is and it's a lock to get him.

If this hire is due to a "now or never" opportunity to upgrade, great.  If they fired Dale because he didn't do as expected, Theo/Jed fucked up.  If that's what played out, at least they knew to cut bait now instead of waiting like Ricketts did with Hendry.

It doesn't mean they're a lock to get their guy. It means the guy they wanted was available and they needed a managerial vacancy in order to make a run at him. The reports are today that they plan to make a serious offer to Girardi. Even if he turns them down, the loss of Dale Sveum in the attempt doesn't hurt them. He was a guy.

Sveum did the job he was asked to do: Manage the team while they lost hundreds of baseball games and never complain about a lack of talent or the loss of his roster via trade. He was being asked to help develop young talent? What young talent? His value over replacement slapdick A.J. Hinch is unknown but negligible enough that the mere opportunity to get Girardi is reason enough to move on.

And they didn't fuck Sveum over in my opinion. They didn't openly court Girardi while Sveum was still here and then deny it. I'm sure they were very open about the nature of the opportunity Sveum was getting when they signed him. Sveum seemed cool with it all along. Now he can go ride his bike and get another tattoo while he gets paid not to manage a sub-.500 ballclub.

Nothing is fucked here.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
I have never managed to care less about who's managing the Cubs. I mean, I want to make fun of Chuck for being wrongtarded or Stew for being The World's Oldest Meatball, or Yeti just out if habit, but hell if I can give a fuck about the firing, the speculation, or which slapdick we end up blaming for blowing out which other slapdick's pitching arm.

When the new guy needs a FIREBARNIN', give me a call.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Bort on October 02, 2013, 03:28:40 PM

First, how about a status update on Samardzija.  Why is he not yet firebarned?  I demand answers!
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 02, 2013, 03:17:12 PM
Even if he turns them down, the loss of Dale Sveum in the attempt doesn't hurt them. He was a guy.

DPD.  Dan Bernstein, is that you?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
This was a fun thread to catch up on.

God the Cubs are depressing.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 02, 2013, 04:31:46 PM
Even if he turns them down, the loss of Dale Sveum in the attempt doesn't hurt them. He was a guy.

I guess I listen to that show a lot.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 02, 2013, 04:44:45 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 02, 2013, 04:31:46 PM

I guess I listen to that show a lot.

You could do worse.  I still listen, even out here in homolib taxocrat land.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 02, 2013, 04:30:08 PM

First, how about a status update on Samardzija.  Why is he not yet firebarned?  I demand answers!

He's proving remarkably flame retardant.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
I have never managed to care less about who's managing the Cubs. I mean, I want to make fun of Chuck for being wrongtarded or Stew for being The World's Oldest Meatball, or Yeti just out if habit, but hell if I can give a fuck about the firing, the speculation, or which slapdick we end up blaming for blowing out which other slapdick's pitching arm.

No, no no, no, no.  I do not deny being a meatball.  But everyone in my generation is a meatball and some of them are even a week or two older than I.  I agree with Apex.  I think that Sveum deserves to be rewarded for being a good soldier, not fired
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: CBStew on October 02, 2013, 09:36:25 PM

No, no no, no, no.  I do not deny being a meatball.  But everyone in my generation is a meatball and some of them are even a week or two older than I.  I agree with Apex.  I think that Sveum deserves to be rewarded for being a good soldier, not fired

Did I say that? I guess I did. Theo should hand Sveum a plaque and a yoga coupon and thank him for his years of service. "Fire" is such an ugly word without the "barn" behind it.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Here's a hypothetical that'll never hai but it's a fun little complex: Tony LaRussa. Definitely had his St. Louis success, but we have so much hatred for him/them. So, discuss cause SPORTZ

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Yeti on October 03, 2013, 10:15:04 AM
Here's a hypothetical that'll never hai but it's a fun little complex: Tony LaRussa. Definitely had his St. Louis success, but we have so much hatred for him/them. So, discuss cause SPORTZ

Fun?  You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club

#STRONGTAEKS

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 02, 2013, 02:23:18 PM
Quote from: BH on October 02, 2013, 01:30:06 PM
Quote from: Eli on October 02, 2013, 01:15:11 PM
Quote from: BH on October 02, 2013, 01:02:28 PM
I don't understand why this is such a big mistake, as Chuck implies. Who cares. The team sucked and would have sucked with the best manager of all time leading the way. The cubs wanted a manager to sit in the dugout and fill out a crappy lineup card for several years until their plan started to get closer, which is exactly what they are doing.

It wasn't about results. It was about helping young players develop and they felt that Sveum didn't do a good job of that. Or he showed that he wouldn't be good at it going forward. Or both.

I'll throw out a 3rd option... maybe they think someone would be available now that wouldn't be available next year.

Correct. But that means they know who the guy is and it's a lock to get him.

If this hire is due to a "now or never" opportunity to upgrade, great.  If they fired Dale because he didn't do as expected, Theo/Jed fucked up.  If that's what played out, at least they knew to cut bait now instead of waiting like Ricketts did with Hendry.

It doesn't mean they're a lock to get their guy. It means the guy they wanted was available and they needed a managerial vacancy in order to make a run at him. The reports are today that they plan to make a serious offer to Girardi. Even if he turns them down, the loss of Dale Sveum in the attempt doesn't hurt them. He was a guy.

Sveum did the job he was asked to do: Manage the team while they lost hundreds of baseball games and never complain about a lack of talent or the loss of his roster via trade. He was being asked to help develop young talent? What young talent? His value over replacement slapdick A.J. Hinch is unknown but negligible enough that the mere opportunity to get Girardi is reason enough to move on.

And they didn't fuck Sveum over in my opinion. They didn't openly court Girardi while Sveum was still here and then deny it. I'm sure they were very open about the nature of the opportunity Sveum was getting when they signed him. Sveum seemed cool with it all along. Now he can go ride his bike and get another tattoo while he gets paid not to manage a sub-.500 ballclub to coach for the Royals.

Nothing is fucked here.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/10/03/4526855/royals-add-former-cubs-manager.html

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Tonker on October 03, 2013, 11:19:53 AM

Fun?  You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means.

I don't mean quell everybody's enthusiasm about this pending discussion but it seems our friend Tony has slipped around the bend.

http://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/tony-la-russa-17-cats/205986

QuoteLa Russa said there were 17 cats at the moment at his home in the Bay Area, all of them rescued. Now let's be clear: Only a handful were permanent members of the La Russa clan. The rest were foster cats, ones the La Russas were caring for temporarily until they could be placed in homes. Still, La Russa could name them, even the newcomers. It took a couple of minutes, a few pauses, but he ticked them off, one by one, as if running down a lineup card.

'Skye, Pearl, Slash — named after a rock 'n' roll guitarist—Sophia, Maggie, Jack — my daughter found him in the parking lot of a Jack in the Box—Stella, Sierra, Kachina, Lakota, Fergus, Dexter — he's very precocious — Misha, Cammie, Eddie, Patchy, Pawnee.'

Yes: That is all 17. Yes: It sounded as amazing as it reads.