News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Bar-b-Q?  ( 59,844 )

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Bar-b-Q?
« Reply #120 on: July 22, 2010, 09:01:47 AM »
Quote from: R-V on July 22, 2010, 08:47:45 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on July 22, 2010, 08:16:44 AM
BTW, Fork, if ever for some ungodly reason you find yourself stranded in Buffalo for a meal, Suzy Q's BBQ shack is actually pretty good.  Apart from Dinosaur, it's probably the best BBQ I've had north of the Carolinas and south of Canada.

Where should the rest of us go?

To hell. Where we belong.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #121 on: July 22, 2010, 09:08:20 AM »
Quote from: Bort on July 22, 2010, 09:01:47 AM
BTW, Fork, if ever for some ungodly reason you find yourself stranded in Buffalo for a meal, Suzy Q's BBQ shack is actually pretty good.  Apart from Dinosaur, it's probably the best BBQ I've had north of the Carolinas and south of Canada.

Bullshit. You've got to come to Buffalo like me.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #122 on: July 22, 2010, 09:11:14 AM »

To a place without mullets and muffin tops?
M'lady.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #123 on: July 22, 2010, 09:55:19 AM »
Quote from: Fork on July 22, 2010, 09:08:20 AM
Quote from: Bort on July 22, 2010, 09:01:47 AM

Bullshit. You've got to come to Buffalo like me.

Awww, maaaaaaan!
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #124 on: July 22, 2010, 09:58:39 AM »
Fine.  Nashville is kind of fun.  I've only been there once, but I got to hang out at Robert's.  For 5 bucks you get a fied bolgna snadwich, a PBR, and a moon pie.  It also has the finest country music you'll ever hear.  OK...that's not BBQ.  But...

There's a place right by it...I think it's called Rippy's or something.  Have their fried pickles.  Good shit.  Decent enough BBQ, too.

As for Memphis...well, ho-lee shit.  Interstate and Corky's were my favorite.  I also had Rendevoux, but it right after a long car ride and I didn't quite enjoy it as much.  I'm going to atrtruibute that to just getting out of a car after driving for how many ever hours.  I would definitely give it another shot.

Also, go hang out on Beale Street.  It's touristy, but it's fun.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #125 on: July 22, 2010, 10:42:46 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on July 22, 2010, 09:58:39 AM
Fine.  Nashville is kind of fun.  I've only been there once, but I got to hang out at Robert's.  For 5 bucks you get a fied bolgna snadwich, a PBR, and a moon pie.  It also has the finest country music you'll ever hear.  OK...that's not BBQ.  But...

There's a place right by it...I think it's called Rippy's or something.  Have their fried pickles.  Good shit.  Decent enough BBQ, too.

As for Memphis...well, ho-lee shit.  Interstate and Corky's were my favorite.  I also had Rendevoux, but it right after a long car ride and I didn't quite enjoy it as much.  I'm going to atrtruibute that to just getting out of a car after driving for how many ever hours.  I would definitely give it another shot.

They actually have a Corky's in Nashville too, where I have been. Great ribs, but the fried corn on the cob was a little unnecessary.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #126 on: July 22, 2010, 11:27:00 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on July 22, 2010, 09:58:39 AM

Sounds like some outstanding recommendations.  We'll I'll definitely try a few of these.
M'lady.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #127 on: January 07, 2011, 02:02:14 PM »
Just tried take-out from a new place in West Rogers Park (the better to serve the Muslim and Orthodox Jewish communities)...

http://www.rubbbqcompany.com/

Had the St. Louis ribs.

(While some Chicago BBQ places seem to feel obliged to have baby backs on the menu because that's what people here expect, even when they know the St. Louis are their money ribs (cf. Smoque), the spare ribs were the only option here. Fine by me.)

I'm not familiar enough with regional BBQ to know if their flavor is typical of some style or another, but it was definitely something different than I'm used to, in a good way. They were really good. The smoke was fairly low-key, with the spices in the rub taking center stage.

The ribs are served dry with up to three different sauces on the side. I did not try the hot sauce, and their basic house sauce was pretty good. But the rockstar was the citrus chipotle sauce. Even as it took the flavor even further afield from what I'm accustomed to, it was pretty outrageous.

They came with kettle chips and slaw and I added on a small side of mac and cheese, which was pretty good in its own right.

I'm not sure it'll supplant Bar-B-Que Bob's anytime soon for my local takeout needs (though Bob's sides do make for a weaker overall offering), but they do have some seating, so I could see myself going there for some sit-down swine.

And I'm pretty curious now to try their pulled pork sliders.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #128 on: January 07, 2011, 02:14:52 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on January 07, 2011, 02:02:14 PM
I'm not familiar enough with regional BBQ to know if their flavor is typical of some style or another, but it was definitely something different than I'm used to, in a good way. They were really good. The smoke was fairly low-key, with the spices in the rub taking center stage.

Sounds like Memphis style. Especially if they don't use that faggy mustard-based sauce that lets you know the Terrorists have won.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #129 on: January 07, 2011, 02:21:11 PM »
Quote from: Fork on January 07, 2011, 02:14:52 PM

Sounds like Memphis style. Especially if they don't use that faggy mustard-based sauce that lets you know the Terrorists have won.

It wouldn't surprise you to learn that I LOVE Carolina style BBQ. I also love the other kinds, but my point stands.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #130 on: January 07, 2011, 02:45:37 PM »

Again, I'm not all that well schooled on the different styles, but it wasn't so much the rub-centric preparation itself that I found somewhat unusual, but rather the particular mix of spices.

But, whatever... You definitely need to check this place out, Big Evanston.

Then you can tell us from first-hand experience.

*Neglected to mention above: BYOB. Delivers on weekends.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #131 on: January 07, 2011, 02:59:06 PM »

Pipe down, shecky.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #132 on: January 07, 2011, 03:55:53 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on January 07, 2011, 02:45:37 PM

Again, I'm not all that well schooled on the different styles, but it wasn't so much the rub-centric preparation itself that I found somewhat unusual, but rather the particular mix of spices.

But, whatever... You definitely need to check this place out, Big Evanston.

Then you can tell us from first-hand experience.

*Neglected to mention above: BYOB. Delivers on weekends.

I'd love to hear how it compares to all the NYC BBQ places fork used to frequent.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #133 on: January 27, 2011, 06:45:20 PM »
I'm not sure it'll supplant Bar-B-Que Bob's anytime soon for my local takeout needs...

Or maybe it will.

Bar-B-Que Bob's has apparently closed up shop.

(Don't you all start crying at once, now.)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #134 on: January 28, 2011, 07:44:56 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on January 27, 2011, 06:45:20 PM
I'm not sure it'll supplant Bar-B-Que Bob's anytime soon for my local takeout needs...

Or maybe it will.

Bar-B-Que Bob's has apparently closed up shop.

(Don't you all start crying at once, now.)

We still have the Fish Keg.
TIME TO POST!