News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Marquis de suc defenestration thread  ( 56,179 )

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Marquis de suc defenestration thread
« Reply #135 on: August 23, 2008, 10:05:27 AM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on August 23, 2008, 02:47:07 AM
The best insurance we could get in September would be for Marquis to be caught slip and fall in a bathroom shower stall with and land on either Cotts or Howry with each man suffering a broken arm.

Geico'd.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

The Paul Popovich Experience

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #136 on: August 27, 2008, 02:05:47 PM »
Marquis is overpaid for what he brings, but maybe he should be viewed in context. The guy is a 500 pitcher, 190 IP, high 4's ERA, double digit wins year in and year out. For a #5 pitcher, that's pretty damn acceptable. I don't like his smirky attitude, and sure, I'd rather have a Johan Santana as my 5th starter than a Marquis de Suck. But objectively, he's probably one of the top 5 #5 pitchers in baseball. Nothing wrong with that. And he will never start a post-season game barring injuries, so he can't hurt the team when it counts in October.

He kind of looks like Mark Cuban a bit, too, just noticed that.

RETIRED

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #137 on: August 27, 2008, 02:12:06 PM »
Quote from: The Paul Popovich Experience on August 27, 2008, 02:05:47 PM
Marquis is overpaid for what he brings, but maybe he should be viewed in context. The guy is a 500 pitcher, 190 IP, high 4's ERA, double digit wins year in and year out. For a #5 pitcher, that's pretty damn acceptable. I don't like his smirky attitude, and sure, I'd rather have a Johan Santana as my 5th starter than a Marquis de Suck. But objectively, he's probably one of the top 5 #5 pitchers in baseball. Nothing wrong with that. And he will never start a post-season game barring injuries, so he can't hurt the team when it counts in October.

He can also hit, run, bunt and fields his position better than any other guy on the staff. He just isn't the balls and considering that the other four starters are capable of delivering a masterpiece any given start, the fact that we have to brace ourselves and hope he keeps the team in it when he starts is such a letdown that we may be harder on him than he deserves. The lousy son of a bitch.

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #138 on: August 27, 2008, 02:14:22 PM »
Quote from: ~Apex on August 27, 2008, 02:12:06 PM

He can also hit, run, bunt and fields his position better than any other guy on the staff. He just isn't the balls and considering that the other four starters are capable of delivering a masterpiece any given start, the fact that we have to brace ourselves and hope he keeps the team in it when he starts is such a letdown that we may be harder on him than he deserves. The lousy son of a bitch.

Not to quibble, but he doesn't hit his position best, that would be Carlos. And he doesn't bunt the best, that would be Dempster. But overall he's not such a total slug, I agree. He's just mediocre, and I can identify with that. True story.

RETIRED

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #139 on: August 27, 2008, 02:54:23 PM »
Marquis >>>>>>>>>>> Estes

So there's that.

fiveouts

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #140 on: August 27, 2008, 03:01:00 PM »
Quote from: Kerm on August 27, 2008, 02:54:23 PM

So there's that.

Dave Dravecky Post Amputation>>>>>Estes.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #141 on: August 27, 2008, 03:16:38 PM »
Quote from: The Paul Popovich Experience on August 27, 2008, 02:14:22 PM
Quote from: ~Apex on August 27, 2008, 02:12:06 PM

Not to quibble, but he doesn't hit his position best, that would be Carlos. And he doesn't bunt the best, that would be Dempster. But overall he's not such a total slug, I agree. He's just mediocre, and I can identify with that. True story.

That sentence is poorly written but I only meant that he fields the best and does the other stuff adequately for a pitcher.

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #142 on: August 27, 2008, 03:17:18 PM »
Quote from: Kerm on August 27, 2008, 02:54:23 PM

So there's that.

I was just thinking that Marquis' bizarre 7 innings of shutout ball today reminded me of this game.

Obviously today's game wasn't as important, but both were surprisingly well-pitched games from a shitbird that the vast majority of us loathe(d).

Nice game today, shithead.

Al Czervik

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #143 on: August 27, 2008, 05:47:44 PM »

Probably right PPE.

We are a greedy lot.

A decade or so ago Marquis would've been our #2 behind Jose Guzman

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #144 on: August 27, 2008, 06:15:26 PM »
Quote from: Al Czervik on August 27, 2008, 05:47:44 PM

Probably right PPE.

We are a greedy lot.

A decade or so ago Marquis would've been our #2 behind Jose Guzman

There were times in the early 80s when he would have been the ace of the staff. Yes, the Cubs have been VERY bad in the past.

RETIRED

CT II

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #145 on: August 27, 2008, 08:25:49 PM »
Quote from: The Paul Popovich Experience on August 27, 2008, 06:15:26 PM

There were times in the early 80s when he would have been the ace of the staff. Yes, the Cubs have been VERY bad in the past.

What?!?  Why the fuck didn't anyone tell me before this?
I don't get this KurtEvans Photoshop at all

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #146 on: August 27, 2008, 08:50:57 PM »
But objectively, he's probably one of the top 5 #5 pitchers in baseball. Nothing wrong with that.
So, he's somewhere between the 121st and 125th best starter in MLB.  Yea?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #147 on: August 27, 2008, 08:53:42 PM »
The fact that Marquis shut down a team that sucked even before they traded 2 of their 3 best hitters doesn't impress me. 

He's still shitty.

butthead

• Fukakke Fan Club
    • aj_vassallo@hotmail.com
« Reply #148 on: August 27, 2008, 11:08:26 PM »
Who cares if he's shitty. He's going to start a few more games this year then do the same thing we all are going to do....watch the Cubs in the playoffs on TV.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #149 on: August 28, 2008, 05:51:13 AM »
Quote from: CT II on August 27, 2008, 08:25:49 PM
Quote from: The Paul Popovich Experience on August 27, 2008, 06:15:26 PM

What?!?  Why the fuck didn't anyone tell me before this?

When we were talking about it, you had your headphones on, knocking a foul ball away from Moises Alou. Then you went home to feed your goat and black cat.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16