News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Peter King's MMQB  ( 67,088 )

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Peter King's MMQB
« Reply #270 on: August 18, 2009, 03:18:36 PM »
Quote from: Slak on August 18, 2009, 03:15:34 PM
Quote from: CT III on August 18, 2009, 03:14:33 PM
Quote from: MAD on August 18, 2009, 01:58:55 PM
Quote from: Brownie on August 18, 2009, 01:56:44 PM
Ah, everybody missed yesterday's MMQB? King has three travel notes, all worth checking out, but here's his little ode to the Northwest Side:

QuoteEnjoyable/Aggravating Chicago Travel Note of the Week I

One hour and 26 minutes. That's how long it took me to drive the 19 miles from the fringe of downtown Chicago to the Hertz car-rental return area at O'Hare Airport Thursday evening around 7.

At one point, I was stopped in the far left lane of the four-lane westbound Kennedy Expressway for about two minutes. Dead stop. And there was no accident, at least none that I could see as I crawled along, and no sirens or lights flashing.

That drive -- the downtown area to O'Hare -- is officially the worst drive in the United States. None can top it. The Cross Bronx Expressway on an August Friday night at 6 contends, but it's just not the same. L.A. freeways are awful, consistently, but you move on them. Crawl sometimes, but you're moving faster than you do most of the time on the Kennedy. I've made it in 25 minutes a couple of times, but mostly in 50 minutes or longer, at all hours of the day and night. It is sheer misery. How do the people in Chicago stand it?

That's not even the worst drive in Chicago.  Try going from the post office to 53 on the Eisenhower during rush hour.

I'd say that the Eisenhower from the Hillside Strangler (88/294/290  Junction) to Austin is consistently the worst stretch of expressway in the area, regardless of time of day.  I can't exactly remember how the construction project to relieve congestion at the Strangler was supposed to work, but it didn't.  That little piece of heaven, combined with the idiotic ramps on the left side of the highway through Oak Park make that stretch a shitty drive no matter what the conditions.

True. It never fails that you'll slow down around Austin and Harlem no matter what time it is.

As long as you take those weird "exits" for Mannheim, you miss a lot of the backup at that section.  It probably saves 15 minutes a trip.
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #271 on: August 18, 2009, 03:34:55 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on August 18, 2009, 02:55:28 PM
Interestingly, here in Chicago we have these things called "traffic reports." BC, as we all remember, even utilized them after his death march of a drive to Green Bay a few years ago.

Did he drive an '83 Caddy?
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #272 on: August 18, 2009, 04:08:43 PM »
Quote from: TDubbs on August 18, 2009, 03:18:36 PM
Ah, everybody missed yesterday's MMQB? King has three travel notes, all worth checking out, but here's his little ode to the Northwest Side:

One hour and 26 minutes. That's how long it took me to drive the 19 miles from the fringe of downtown Chicago to the Hertz car-rental return area at O'Hare Airport Thursday evening around 7.

At one point, I was stopped in the far left lane of the four-lane westbound Kennedy Expressway for about two minutes. Dead stop. And there was no accident, at least none that I could see as I crawled along, and no sirens or lights flashing.

That drive -- the downtown area to O'Hare -- is officially the worst drive in the United States. None can top it. The Cross Bronx Expressway on an August Friday night at 6 contends, but it's just not the same. L.A. freeways are awful, consistently, but you move on them. Crawl sometimes, but you're moving faster than you do most of the time on the Kennedy. I've made it in 25 minutes a couple of times, but mostly in 50 minutes or longer, at all hours of the day and night. It is sheer misery. How do the people in Chicago stand it?

That's not even the worst drive in Chicago.  Try going from the post office to 53 on the Eisenhower during rush hour.

I'd say that the Eisenhower from the Hillside Strangler (88/294/290  Junction) to Austin is consistently the worst stretch of expressway in the area, regardless of time of day.  I can't exactly remember how the construction project to relieve congestion at the Strangler was supposed to work, but it didn't.  That little piece of heaven, combined with the idiotic ramps on the left side of the highway through Oak Park make that stretch a shitty drive no matter what the conditions.

True. It never fails that you'll slow down around Austin and Harlem no matter what time it is.

As long as you take those weird "exits" for Mannheim, you miss a lot of the backup at that section.  It probably saves 15 minutes a trip.

Wow.  What a traffic-prolonging douche move.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #273 on: August 18, 2009, 04:37:20 PM »
Indeed, why is this dipshit renting a car for a one day stay in Chicago in the first place?

Capt. Over

• Jimmy, you ever seen a grown man naked?
  • Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #274 on: August 18, 2009, 05:00:20 PM »
Quote from: Andy on August 18, 2009, 04:37:20 PM
Indeed, why is this dipshit renting a car for a one day stay in Chicago in the first place?

I think his giant head is too big for public transportation.

http://bountybowl.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/peterking1.jpg
Trying to ignore sense of self-awareness and post more often.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #275 on: August 18, 2009, 05:06:00 PM »
Quote from: MAD on August 18, 2009, 04:08:43 PM

As long as you take those weird "exits" for Mannheim, you miss a lot of the backup at that section.  It probably saves 15 minutes a trip.

Whatever, dude.  I just got home in 29 minutes.  Sure, I ran a couple of red lights and drove the wrong way up a one-way street, but it shaved a good three minutes off my commute.
Hire Jim Essian!

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #276 on: August 18, 2009, 05:31:08 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on August 18, 2009, 05:06:00 PM
Quote from: MAD on August 18, 2009, 04:08:43 PM

Whatever, dude.  I just got home in 29 minutes.  Sure, I ran a couple of red lights and drove the wrong way up a one-way street, but it shaved a good three minutes off my commute.

Your forgot the

Intrepid Reader:  TDubbs

part.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #277 on: August 19, 2009, 12:57:26 PM »
We all know that Peter King is a dope, but Josh Levin does a great job of compiling King's brilliant observations on Brett Favre over the course of both of their careers. 

http://www.slate.com/id/2225648

The best part, King's final line:

QuoteFavre's the wishy-washiest player in memory—and the Vikings are his enablers. It's ridiculous.

Yes Peter, those lousy Vikings are his enablers.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #278 on: November 08, 2009, 06:29:00 PM »
Peter King on NBC, summing up his conversation with Raheem Morris after the Bucs' upset of Green Bay...

QuoteHe was as vanilla as can be.

This was apparently a compliment.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?