News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Peter King's MMQB  ( 67,085 )

The Slak

• Former Aardsomologist; Current Cottolingist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Peter King's MMQB
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2006, 09:44:25 AM »
Quote from: KD on September 11, 2006, 11:09:00 PM
Quote from: The Slak on September 11, 2006, 04:07:45 PM
Quote from: CPT on September 11, 2006, 03:54:12 PM
Quote from: Huey on September 11, 2006, 03:51:33 PM
It's not that I'm dyslexic, but seeing the "Q" in there threw me off, and in my mind's eye, I reversed it with the "B" and thought this was a thread about Peter King's "Monday Morning Barbecue" (MMBQ) which, were it true, would be one of the longest articles ever written.

Oh, and Peter King's a douche.

I believe that it's Peter King's Monday Morning BBBQ.

I'd love to read a Slaky reaction to Simmons picks.  Or to just about anything he writes. 

I know I ran across some blogger via Deadspin who writes reviews of Simmons' articles. It was as weak as...well, as weak as Simmons probably is. He actually tried to objectively review them and actually praised some of them. How lame.

Oh, and Kelly kicks Simmons in the dick tip when it comes to writing on the NBA.

Cheers.  I'm a top notch dick tip kicker. 

Simmons knows his stuff when it comes to the NBA, I have to give him credit for that -- but he gets stuck in these "it sounds good in my head" ruts that he refuses to crawl out of, sort of the NBA version of the Curly Haired Boyfriend's curse-heavy style.  If he'd approach the game with the idea that, shock horror, he could learn something new from each game he watches or stat sheet he trawls through, then he might be better. 

What continually gets me about Simmons is, and even among a-hole sportswriters he sticks out ... is there a bigger misogynist out there?  Can't some copy editor at espen change all those "girls" to "women" in his next missive?  I can Champ Kind it up with the best of them, but dayum ...

He's pretty bad in that regard too. But he does it to get a cheap laugh out of his big demographic...you know...misogynists. We can all be that way from time to time. Sometimes when we do a thread on different names for vagina or words women hate, some people can think that these are things I actually call women and some people can think it's all for the sake of a cheap laugh on a message board full of guys. As you like it.

CPT

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2006, 12:52:39 PM »
Bump.

CPT's Peter King crusade will never end.  This week, it appears that King either didn't bother to watch the Sunday night game, or was simply too lazy to go back and write more than 4 lines about it in his article.  Seriously, there's more content devoted to the price of hotels in Baltimore than there is to what was supposed to be one of the biggest games of the week.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/09/29/mmqb/index.html
If we're so fucking superior, why are we working here?

The Slak

• Former Aardsomologist; Current Cottolingist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2006, 12:54:54 PM »
Quote from: CPT on October 02, 2006, 12:52:39 PM
Bump.

CPT's Peter King crusade will never end.  This week, it appears that King either didn't bother to watch the Sunday night game, or was simply too lazy to go back and write more than 4 lines about it in his article.  Seriously, there's more content devoted to the price of hotels in Baltimore than there is to what was supposed to be one of the biggest games of the week.

Any emotion knowing this could be the last time you play Favre?

FUCK OFF.

Wow, so there is some emotion.

Bad Kermit

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2006, 02:41:20 PM »
Quote from: The Slak on October 02, 2006, 12:54:54 PM
Quote from: CPT on October 02, 2006, 12:52:39 PM
Bump.

Any emotion knowing this could be the last time you play Favre?

f@#$ OFF.

Wow, so there is some emotion.

Jeter, Mauer, and Ortiz for AL MVP?  Jesus, he didn't even get the most valuable player from the TWINS right (Morneau).  And what about Ortiz's pants-crapping every time they played the Yankees this year?

CPT

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2006, 01:47:53 PM »
It's that time again:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/10/09/mmqb/index.html 

Two Bears players actually get mentioned by name in this one(outside of Rex in the Fine 15)!  Danieal Manning is mentioned so that Peter can mock the pronunciation of his name.  And since this team is destroying people in all aspects of the game, Robbie Gould gets a whole sentence devoted to him.
If we're so fucking superior, why are we working here?

bozos72

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2006, 02:29:38 PM »
Quote from: CPT on October 09, 2006, 01:47:53 PM
It's that time again:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/10/09/mmqb/index.html 

Two Bears players actually get mentioned by name in this one(outside of Rex in the Fine 15)!  Danieal Manning is mentioned so that Peter can mock the pronunciation of his name.  And since this team is destroying people in all aspects of the game, Robbie Gould gets a whole sentence devoted to him.

Crap!  I totally missed that TO was back in Philly this weekend!  Too bad no one talked about it this week, otherwise, I would have totally watched!
Validated Kermit, 6/11/2007

HollywoodCubbie

• I Hate This Team!
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2006, 03:33:34 PM »
Apparently being the most dominant team in football is not newsworthy... being a .500 team is newsworthy.

Maybe Bernard Berrian should fake a suicide attempt to get the press he deserves.

I can't wait until monday when I enjoy nosebleed tickets in Arizona!
"We may be losing, but I ain't no loser" -Dusty Baker

Ho Ho Kamper

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2006, 04:03:10 PM »
QuoteI can't wait until monday when I enjoy nosebleed tickets in Arizona!

Hey HollywoodCubbie, I'll be at that game too! Can't wait! I'll look for you in the cheap seats!

JS

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2006, 12:38:09 PM »
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/10/16/mmqb/index.html

Quote9. I think I hate to do this. I really do. We're in Week 6 of the football season, but I have to give some advice to Joe Torre and Brian Cashman right now, because they are decent men, even if they do work for the Evil Empire. Get in a car sometime this month, and drive 3½ hours up I-95 to Foxboro. Visit the Patriots. Or if you're inclined to go a place where you might be more invisible, fly to Chicago, rent a car and drive north to Lake Forest, where the Bears are headquartered. Learn how to build a winning team and how to navigate through the noise that disrupts every big-market team today.

Football isn't baseball, you'll argue. Football is the ultimate team game, and baseball is more of a stars' game. But the one thing all good baseball teams have is the one thing all good football teams have -- role players. Guys who don't need the credit and who don't earn the big money. In baseball, David Eckstein is a winning player, much the same as Mike Vrabel is. It wasn't so long ago that both of them were on the street. The best team in football right now is the Chicago Bears. Look at their roster. Ever hear of Bernard Berrian, Rashied Davis, Mark Anderson, Tank Johnson, Alfonso Boone or Jason McKie? Don't feel bad. Not many football fans have, either.

Those are six of the 25 or 30 most important players on the team rampaging its way through the NFL right now. I'm guessing their combined salaries equal one month of Alex Rodriguez's. This is what Bears GM Jerry Angelo told me the other day: "One of the things I learned from the Patriots and Steelers in the last few years is they lost more than they gained in free agency, and they never were worried about it. They drafted rank-and-file players, developed them, were patient with them, knew the exact roles they wanted them to play and put them in those roles. Dan Graham, Asante Samuel, Eugene Wilson ... are any of them stars? No. Are they Patriots players? Yes. And that's all they care about.''

Before this season, Angelo was assailed for not getting a big-name receiver in free agency. He was in the game for Antwaan Randle El but didn't think he was worth $6 million a year, and lost him to Washington. "I got hammered by the local media for not getting a good receiver,'' he said, "but I said, 'Guys, we've got good receivers here. They fit the profile of what we want in a receiver.' But because we'd done a poor job of stabilizing the quarterback position, you couldn't tell what we had at receiver. We'd gone for five years playing three or four quarterbacks almost every year. How do you know if your receivers are any good? They never work with the same quarterback. Now that we've had Rex for an offseason and he's been healthy for the regular season, now we can judge the receivers. And what we have is pretty good.'' To say the least. It's a lesson for all other franchises, regardless of the sport.

Some Jerry Angelo praise.

TG

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2007, 09:23:14 AM »
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/01/07/playoffs/index.html

King's most predictable garbage of the year; he blows Tom Brady and Belichick lovingly (says Brady is the best quarterback we'll ever see), he ranks the Bears all the way down at No, 6, and he makes excuses for Tony Romo.

QuoteBut did you see the ball that was snapped to Tony Romo on the botched field-goal hold? Looked very shiny, perhaps slippery. It was one of the "K'' balls. Each game, 12 balls used only for special teams plays are kept on the sidelines, and when there's a punt or a kickoff or a placekick, one of those 12 balls is put into play. The ball came back to Romo on a good snap, and as he transferred the ball in his hands to put it down for the kick, it slipped from his grip. Wish I had a chance to ask him about it after the game. The way it slipped made the ball look like some of the waxy sheen was still on it from having just come out of the box.

Huey

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2007, 09:28:22 AM »
Quote from: TG on January 08, 2007, 09:23:14 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/01/07/playoffs/index.html

King's most predictable garbage of the year; he blows Tom Brady and Belichick lovingly (says Brady is the best quarterback we'll ever see), he ranks the Bears all the way down at No, 6, and he makes excuses for Tony Romo.

QuoteBut did you see the ball that was snapped to Tony Romo on the botched field-goal hold? Looked very shiny, perhaps slippery. It was one of the "K'' balls. Each game, 12 balls used only for special teams plays are kept on the sidelines, and when there's a punt or a kickoff or a placekick, one of those 12 balls is put into play. The ball came back to Romo on a good snap, and as he transferred the ball in his hands to put it down for the kick, it slipped from his grip. Wish I had a chance to ask him about it after the game. The way it slipped made the ball look like some of the waxy sheen was still on it from having just come out of the box.

Damn that's goin' out of yer way to defend the guy. 

I think the media has found their successor to Brett Favre.  He can retire now.  Tony Romo might as well be named "Brett Favre Jr."

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »

Can't you just see Peter walking up to the sobbing Romo in the locker room? He'd like to peel off his jacket, Dwight Schrute-style and put his arm around him consolingly.

I've seen and heard enough of this Tony Homo shit to make me sick for the rest of my life. He is not Brett Favre. He doesn't have the arm. He is not Michael Vick either. What he is or what could be is a slightly less effeminate version of Jeff Garcia. Now Garcia is a three-time Pro-Bowler and a very tough guy. But he's not going to the Hall of Fame on anybody's ballot.

Get. Over. It.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

TG

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2007, 09:30:42 AM »
Quote from: Apex on January 08, 2007, 09:29:00 AM

Can't you just see Peter walking up to the sobbing Romo in the locker room? He'd like to peel off his jacket, Dwight Schrute-style and put his arm around him consolingly.

I'm sure someone more clever than I am can put together a Dwight/Romo exchange in the locker room.

JS

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2007, 09:41:58 AM »
Quote from: Huey on January 08, 2007, 09:28:22 AM

Damn that's goin' out of yer way to defend the guy. 

I think the media has found their successor to Brett Favre.  He can retire now.  Tony Romo might as well be named "Brett Favre Jr."

So when will Peter change his last name to Romo?

JD, Too

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2007, 09:44:10 AM »
He's got Dallas ahead of Seattle in his rankings!  Way to make a point, douche.  This guy is unbelievable.  That's almost as good as when he had Mark Brunell as his offensive player of the week for his work on the Redskins scout team.
"Ad hominem attacks, and childish ones at that, do not an argument make."----- IT