News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Peter King's MMQB  ( 67,108 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Peter King's MMQB
« Reply #240 on: August 06, 2009, 05:42:21 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on August 06, 2009, 05:39:24 PM
Quote from: Slak on August 06, 2009, 05:34:32 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/08/06/nfl.nflpa.benefits/index.html?eref=sircrc

Pete King says NFL football in 2011 is not looking real good.

Quote from: paragraph 1
If I were a football fan, I'd be worried about the NFL season in 2011.

Quote from: paragraph 2
Should you care? Not yet.

I wanted to get the Peter King Hateslide lubed up.

Mission accomplished.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #241 on: August 06, 2009, 05:46:47 PM »
Quote from: Slak on August 06, 2009, 05:42:21 PM
Quote from: Oleg on August 06, 2009, 05:39:24 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/08/06/nfl.nflpa.benefits/index.html?eref=sircrc

Quote from: paragraph 1
If I were a football fan, I'd be worried about the NFL season in 2011.

Quote from: paragraph 2
Should you care? Not yet.

I wanted to get the Peter King Hateslide lubed up.

Mission accomplished.

Meh. Niether P. King nor I are football fans, so we don't care. Yet.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #242 on: August 06, 2009, 06:27:25 PM »
Quote from: CT III on April 02, 2009, 08:10:48 PM
Yeah, that McDaniel is a fucking genius.  I'm sure the latest fucknut to fall out of the Belicheck Tree isn't going to be a collosal failure like, well, all the rest of those guys.

I hadn't seen this before until someone bumped this thread today, but it's a really valid and under publicized point. 
Too many people confuse the Parcells Coaching Tree (rather successful) with the Belichick Coaching Tree (completely unsuccessful to date).

Not saying that McDaniels is a bad Coach or Jay Cutler isn't missing out on a good system for him, but the assumption that all things Belichick are successful is a complete fallacy.

Just to put specific names to it...guys with NFL Head Coaching experience who previously worked under Belichick:
    * Romeo Crennel, Cleveland Browns (2005–2008) Record: 24-40
    * Al Groh, New York Jets (2000) Record: 9-7
    * Josh McDaniels, Denver Broncos (2009–present) No record
    * Eric Mangini, New York Jets (2006–2008), Cleveland Browns (2009–present) Record: 23-25
    * Nick Saban, Miami Dolphins (2005–2006) Record: 15-17
    * Jim Schwartz, Detroit Lions (2009–present) No Record.

Granted, these guys all took over pretty bad franchises and Crennel's record really kills the group, but that's a total career record of 71-89.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #243 on: August 06, 2009, 06:31:35 PM »

"And over the phone from his Washington office, Smith told me he was concerned by "a lack of progress on a new CBA'' after two meetings between owners and players"

The current contract expires two years from now and they still haven't negotiated a successor?   Wow.  That is unprecedented in the Labor movement.

If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #244 on: August 06, 2009, 07:07:31 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on August 06, 2009, 06:27:25 PM
Yeah, that McDaniel is a fucking genius.  I'm sure the latest fucknut to fall out of the Belicheck Tree isn't going to be a collosal failure like, well, all the rest of those guys.

I hadn't seen this before until someone bumped this thread today, but it's a really valid and under publicized point.  
Too many people confuse the Parcells Coaching Tree (rather successful) with the Belichick Coaching Tree (completely unsuccessful to date).

Not saying that McDaniels is a bad Coach or Jay Cutler isn't missing out on a good system for him, but the assumption that all things Belichick are successful is a complete fallacy.

Just to put specific names to it...guys with NFL Head Coaching experience who previously worked under Belichick:
   * Eric Mangini, New York Jets (2006–2008), Cleveland Browns (2009–present) Record: 23-25

Granted, these guys all took over pretty bad franchises and Crennel's record really kills the group, but that's a total career record of 71-89.

McDaniel's may end up being a good coach, but first off, I love how people forget that what Started the Cutler problem was McDaniel's WANTING to trade Jay. Jay's really not all that great for the horizontal offense McDaniel's likes to run, and McDaniel's wanted someone who plays a safer style of football in Matt Cassel. Also, the problem with both Mangini and McDaniel's is that they both get a lot of credit for being prodigies, but they both were simply coordinators who took over highly successful units and managed not to fuck them up. Crennel was the defensive coordinator, so he got the Browns job. Mangini took over the d-coordinator job and simply kept the thing running at the pace it had already been running at. McDaniel's took over for Weis and did the same thing. Neither one of them developed the system or even the players In it.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #245 on: August 06, 2009, 07:22:06 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on August 06, 2009, 06:31:35 PM

"And over the phone from his Washington office, Smith told me he was concerned by "a lack of progress on a new CBA'' after two meetings between owners and players"

The current contract expires two years from now and they still haven't negotiated a successor?   Wow.  That is unprecedented in the Labor movement.

Unprecedented, I tell you.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #246 on: August 06, 2009, 08:35:42 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 06, 2009, 07:07:31 PM
Yeah, that McDaniel is a fucking genius.  I'm sure the latest fucknut to fall out of the Belicheck Tree isn't going to be a collosal failure like, well, all the rest of those guys.

McDaniel's may end up being a good coach, but first off, I love how people forget that what Started the Cutler problem was McDaniel's WANTING to trade Jay. Jay's really not all that great for the horizontal defense McDaniel's likes to run, and McDaniel's wanted someone who plays a safer style of football in Matt Cassel. Also, the problem with both Mangini and McDaniel's is that they both get a lot of credit for being prodigies, but they both were simply coordinators who took over highly successful units and managed not to fuck them up. Crennel was the defensive coordinator, so he got the Browns job. Mangini took over the d-coordinator job and simply kept the thing running at the pace it had already been running at. McDaniel's took over for Weis and did the same thing. Neither one of them developed the system or even the players In it.

McDaniel's?

air2300

• Hank White Fan Club
    • air2300
« Reply #247 on: August 06, 2009, 08:49:43 PM »

McDaniel's may end up being a good coach, but first off, I love how people forget that what Started the Cutler problem was McDaniel's WANTING to trade Jay. Jay's really not all that great for the horizontal defense McDaniel's likes to run, and McDaniel's wanted someone who plays a safer style of football in Matt Cassel. Also, the problem with both Mangini and McDaniel's is that they both get a lot of credit for being prodigies, but they both were simply coordinators who took over highly successful units and managed not to fuck them up. Crennel was the defensive coordinator, so he got the Browns job. Mangini took over the d-coordinator job and simply kept the thing running at the pace it had already been running at. McDaniel's took over for Weis and did the same thing. Neither one of them developed the system or even the players In it.
I don't get the whole obsession with McDaniels.  Is this the bears fans' way of trying to justify the trade?  The bears got one of the best Qb in the league, so why bother getting our panties in a bunch over what the media says or anybody else? 

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #248 on: August 06, 2009, 09:24:31 PM »
Quote from: air2300 on August 06, 2009, 08:49:43 PM

I don't get the whole obsession with McDaniels.  Is this the bears fans' way of trying to justify the trade?  The bears got one of the best Qb in the league, so why bother getting our panties in a bunch over what the media says or anybody else? 

I'm not particularly obsessed with him or the Broncos. As a fan of Kyle Orton, I'd like him And them to do well this year. I was more replying to this:

QuoteJay Cutler has three people to blame for his trade from the most talented young offensive team in football to one of the least:

1. Jay Cutler.

2. Jay Cutler.

3. Jay Cutler.

QuoteThe saddest thing here? Cutler could have been a truly great player in McDaniels' offense.

QuoteWhatever he says now, I know he'll always wonder how great he could have been in that offense, with that bright young coach -- whether he liked McDaniels or not.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #249 on: August 07, 2009, 09:56:00 AM »

You know what his problem is?  He's so possessive!

Get it?  High five!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #250 on: August 07, 2009, 10:04:22 AM »
Sure. You add 7 or 8 apostrophes where they don't belong and suddenly everyone is a grammar teacher.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #251 on: August 10, 2009, 09:14:55 AM »
Quote from: CT III on August 06, 2009, 08:35:42 PM

McDaniel's?

Don't eat there, it's just a rip-off of McDowell's.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #252 on: August 10, 2009, 12:56:35 PM »
Quote from: Fork on August 10, 2009, 09:14:55 AM
Quote from: CT III on August 06, 2009, 08:35:42 PM

McDaniel's?

Don't eat there, it's just a rip-off of McDowell's.

Stay off the drugs, son.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #253 on: August 18, 2009, 01:56:44 PM »
Ah, everybody missed yesterday's MMQB? King has three travel notes, all worth checking out, but here's his little ode to the Northwest Side:

QuoteEnjoyable/Aggravating Chicago Travel Note of the Week I

One hour and 26 minutes. That's how long it took me to drive the 19 miles from the fringe of downtown Chicago to the Hertz car-rental return area at O'Hare Airport Thursday evening around 7.

At one point, I was stopped in the far left lane of the four-lane westbound Kennedy Expressway for about two minutes. Dead stop. And there was no accident, at least none that I could see as I crawled along, and no sirens or lights flashing.

That drive -- the downtown area to O'Hare -- is officially the worst drive in the United States. None can top it. The Cross Bronx Expressway on an August Friday night at 6 contends, but it's just not the same. L.A. freeways are awful, consistently, but you move on them. Crawl sometimes, but you're moving faster than you do most of the time on the Kennedy. I've made it in 25 minutes a couple of times, but mostly in 50 minutes or longer, at all hours of the day and night. It is sheer misery. How do the people in Chicago stand it?

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #254 on: August 18, 2009, 01:58:55 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on August 18, 2009, 01:56:44 PM
Ah, everybody missed yesterday's MMQB? King has three travel notes, all worth checking out, but here's his little ode to the Northwest Side:

QuoteEnjoyable/Aggravating Chicago Travel Note of the Week I

One hour and 26 minutes. That's how long it took me to drive the 19 miles from the fringe of downtown Chicago to the Hertz car-rental return area at O'Hare Airport Thursday evening around 7.

At one point, I was stopped in the far left lane of the four-lane westbound Kennedy Expressway for about two minutes. Dead stop. And there was no accident, at least none that I could see as I crawled along, and no sirens or lights flashing.

That drive -- the downtown area to O'Hare -- is officially the worst drive in the United States. None can top it. The Cross Bronx Expressway on an August Friday night at 6 contends, but it's just not the same. L.A. freeways are awful, consistently, but you move on them. Crawl sometimes, but you're moving faster than you do most of the time on the Kennedy. I've made it in 25 minutes a couple of times, but mostly in 50 minutes or longer, at all hours of the day and night. It is sheer misery. How do the people in Chicago stand it?

That's not even the worst drive in Chicago.  Try going from the post office to 53 on the Eisenhower during rush hour.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)