News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: MLB 2K9  ( 110,110 )

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: MLB 2K9
« Reply #345 on: March 04, 2009, 10:35:50 AM »
Quote from: Pre on March 03, 2009, 11:43:15 PM
This game is, to use a technical term, not good.

I don't feel like going into loads of the bugs I've found in two whole games, but my favorite
is that about 1/3rd of the throws to first pull the 1B off the bag (including soft throws), and
even if the runner is out by 45 feet it's almost impossible to get the bag.  The franchise bugs
I'm reading about are pretty awesome too.

I don't know why I bother buying these shitty MLB2K games.

I think I'll end up getting the psp The Show for my baseball fix.

Really?  That sucks.  I've seen some funky things in several games, but I've only gotten that first base glitch twice, and it didn't bother me that much.  I'm playing with the batting cursor on, and it's hard as hell, but very fun.  The hit variety is very realistic with the batting cursor, and I've only hit two home runs in about six games on All-Star difficulty with it.

One thing that's been annoying me is the fact that I can't figure out a way to save my camera settings.  Does anyone know how?
Hire Jim Essian!

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #346 on: March 04, 2009, 10:47:37 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 04, 2009, 10:31:57 AM
Quote from: TDubbs on March 03, 2009, 07:01:13 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 03, 2009, 04:34:54 PM
Quote from: Slakee on March 03, 2009, 02:43:45 PM
Quote from: TDubbs on March 03, 2009, 12:02:13 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 03, 2009, 11:58:13 AM
Quote from: TDubbs on March 03, 2009, 11:43:20 AM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 03, 2009, 11:05:50 AM
Quote from: Weebs on March 03, 2009, 11:03:36 AM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 03, 2009, 11:01:53 AM
Quote from: Weebs on March 03, 2009, 10:52:01 AM
I just picked up my copy and have been playing around a bit.  Kerm, just to let you know, when you go to Play Now, as the game is loading, you can hit Start and adjust your lineup/starter.  I'm finding the Zone Hitting really hard to use so far.  I'm trying to figure out if you turn off the actual option for it, if the system itself will still work but that damn bat won't show up.  It's making it really hard to judge pitch location and I'm swinging late on everything.  I'd rather have the system still there, but just remove the bat.

Yeah, I'm late on everything, too.  I'm getting pretty much exclusively opposite-field hits.  In Play Now, can you change the CPU's lineup, though?  I don't think you can.

I didn't try to adjust the CPU.  I only switched my lineup and put Harden in to start.  Do you have any idea if the system behind Zone Hitting still applies when the actual option is turned off?  That bat takes up way too much of the screen and I'm thinking unless the pitch speed is drastically lowered, it's going to be too hard to hit.

What level are you playing on?  I'm on default All-Star, and I'm making contact, for the most part.  I think the bat is bat-sized.

The fact that Weebs is blatently not going to class/not doing his algebra homework/continuing to not try to score with slutty college girls is pretty standard.  The fact that Kerm skipped work to play a video game is beyond me. 

And God knows you understand practically EVERYTHING.

He knows that I understand everything PRACTICALLY.

You'd rather go to work than play a video game?

Yes, because video games are for NERDS.  Accounting is for cool people.

I'd rather not waste a personal/vacation day to play a video game, when, if I were I that big of a nerd, I could just wait until I got home from work that night, or heaven forbid, three days until the weekend.

Do you want me to bore you with the details of the doctor's appointment I had yesterday, or are you just going to continue being a dick?

It always comes back to cancer with you, doesn't it?
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #347 on: March 04, 2009, 10:53:30 AM »
For Andy and Pre, I wonder if the first baseman glitch has to do with you guys using the face buttons to throw instead of using the right thumbstick.  I use the thumbstick, and I've only seen that glitch twice in about six games.  It sounds like you guys are seeing it several times a game.  I wonder if that's the problem.
Hire Jim Essian!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #348 on: March 04, 2009, 11:18:42 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 04, 2009, 10:53:30 AM
For Andy and Pre, I wonder if the first baseman glitch has to do with you guys using the face buttons to throw instead of using the right thumbstick.  I use the thumbstick, and I've only seen that glitch twice in about six games.  It sounds like you guys are seeing it several times a game.  I wonder if that's the problem.

I had it happen once, but didn't think much of it.  I figured the first baseman just got pulled off the bag from the throw.  A simple error.  I think the problem may just be the fielding in general.  I played an All-Star game, and even though Hanley Ramirez is a pretty shitty fielder in real life, there's no reason he should have booted just about every ball that came his way.  I think he may have fielded one clean grounder, and managed to make a couple poor throws.  I don't know if 2K have admitted on their forums that these are actual bugs, or rather problems that can be fixed by changing the sliders.  Speaking of which, has anyone found a good set of sliders yet?

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #349 on: March 04, 2009, 11:19:41 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on March 04, 2009, 11:18:42 AM

I had it happen once, but didn't think much of it.  I figured the first baseman just got pulled off the bag from the throw.  A simple error.  I think the problem may just be the fielding in general.  I played an All-Star game, and even though Hanley Ramirez is a pretty shitty fielder in real life, there's no reason he should have booted just about every ball that came his way.  I think he may have fielded one clean grounder, and managed to make a couple poor throws.  I don't know if 2K have admitted on their forums that these are actual bugs, or rather problems that can be fixed by changing the sliders.  Speaking of which, has anyone found a good set of sliders yet?

Check your trousers, Francis.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #350 on: March 04, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »

I'm going to play on default All-Star for a while so I can unlock some of the cards (I have no idea why).  If you use custom sliders, you can't earn cards, which is, of course, idiotic.
Hire Jim Essian!

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #351 on: March 04, 2009, 11:31:44 AM »

Maybe because your real life fielding skills are transfered into your video game fielding skills?  Like, it downloads from your fingertips in the the facebookcontroller and comes out on screen?  Hence .. tons of errors for you.
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #352 on: March 04, 2009, 01:23:11 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on March 04, 2009, 10:47:37 AM
I just picked up my copy and have been playing around a bit.  Kerm, just to let you know, when you go to Play Now, as the game is loading, you can hit Start and adjust your lineup/starter.  I'm finding the Zone Hitting really hard to use so far.  I'm trying to figure out if you turn off the actual option for it, if the system itself will still work but that damn bat won't show up.  It's making it really hard to judge pitch location and I'm swinging late on everything.  I'd rather have the system still there, but just remove the bat.

Yeah, I'm late on everything, too.  I'm getting pretty much exclusively opposite-field hits.  In Play Now, can you change the CPU's lineup, though?  I don't think you can.

I didn't try to adjust the CPU.  I only switched my lineup and put Harden in to start.  Do you have any idea if the system behind Zone Hitting still applies when the actual option is turned off?  That bat takes up way too much of the screen and I'm thinking unless the pitch speed is drastically lowered, it's going to be too hard to hit.

What level are you playing on?  I'm on default All-Star, and I'm making contact, for the most part.  I think the bat is bat-sized.

The fact that Weebs is blatently not going to class/not doing his algebra homework/continuing to not try to score with slutty college girls is pretty standard.  The fact that Kerm skipped work to play a video game is beyond me. 

I'd rather not waste a personal/vacation day to play a video game, when, if I were I that big of a nerd, I could just wait until I got home from work that night, or heaven forbid, three days until the weekend.

Do you want me to bore you with the details of the doctor's appointment I had yesterday, or are you just going to continue being a dick?

No, just a pinched nerve this time.
Hire Jim Essian!

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #353 on: March 04, 2009, 01:35:39 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 04, 2009, 01:23:11 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on March 04, 2009, 10:47:37 AM

No, just a pinched nerve this time.

So you have cancer of the pinched nerve? Bummer.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Simmer

• Play Ball
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #354 on: March 04, 2009, 01:45:45 PM »
I've heard a lot of bad things about this game, so this will be Year 4 of no new baseball game for me. 

Hanley isn't that bad of a defender, (26, 24, 22 E in the last 3 seasons, career .960+ F%).  Maybe he needs to be moved to first base in the game, so he can use his range to NOT get pulled off the bag.

Word of warning, I have no idea what it entails, but I've been told about franchise-crushing bugs, so buyer beware! 

(Also, just to be an ass, I have to mention that Gary Thorne is one of the worst in the business.  Maybe I'm saying that because whenever he calls an Iowa game, he turns into a biased prick.  STICK TO HOCKEE THORNE!  He's the main pbp guy for the Orioles.  All my DC-area friends want his ass GONE.  To be a non-ass, I bet he's not so insufferable in this game.  He cannot be as bad as Verne Lundquist in College Hoops 2K7.)
2010 Chicago Cubs
75-87

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #355 on: March 04, 2009, 01:49:51 PM »
Quote from: Simmer on March 04, 2009, 01:45:45 PM
I've heard a lot of bad things about this game, so this will be Year 4 of no new baseball game for me. 

Hanley isn't that bad of a defender, (26, 24, 22 E in the last 3 seasons, career .960+ F%).  Maybe he needs to be moved to first base in the game, so he can use his range to NOT get pulled off the bag.

Word of warning, I have no idea what it entails, but I've been told about franchise-crushing bugs, so buyer beware! 

(Also, just to be an ass, I have to mention that Gary Thorne is one of the worst in the business.  Maybe I'm saying that because whenever he calls an Iowa game, he turns into a biased prick.  STICK TO HOCKEE THORNE!  He's the main pbp guy for the Orioles.  All my DC-area friends want his ass GONE.  To be a non-ass, I bet he's not so insufferable in this game.  He cannot be as bad as Verne Lundquist in College Hoops 2K7.)

I thought I was the only one that hated Thorne. Welcome to the club!

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #356 on: March 04, 2009, 02:00:12 PM »
Quote from: Slakee on March 04, 2009, 01:49:51 PM
Quote from: Simmer on March 04, 2009, 01:45:45 PM

I thought I was the only one that hated Thorne. Welcome to the club!

I'm quickly learning to hate him.  If I make it through more games before I give up,
I'm sure I'll be asking to learn the secret handshake.

Timmy B

• Hank White Fan Club
    • moviemantim@hotmail.com
« Reply #357 on: March 04, 2009, 02:10:42 PM »
I picked 2K9 up last night, and ... ugh. I'm just not that impressed with it, and it's really not fun. Pitching is pretty good, but the rest of it falls flat. Especially Gary fucking Thorne, although he's still a far sight better than Morgan and Miller.

Also, holy shit, IGN posted their review of the game, and it's 6.9/10. Usually they suck 2K's dick.

On another forum, I just read a pretty funny glitch:

Quotestats box below Chipper Jones while he's at-bat: "Chipper Jones has the nickname Chipper"

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #358 on: March 04, 2009, 02:16:19 PM »
Quote from: Timmy B on March 04, 2009, 02:10:42 PM
I picked 2K9 up last night, and ... ugh. I'm just not that impressed with it, and it's really not fun. Pitching is pretty good, but the rest of it falls flat. Especially Gary fucking Thorne, although he's still a far sight better than Morgan and Miller.

Also, holy shit, IGN posted their review of the game, and it's 6.9/10. Usually they suck 2K's dick.

Quotestats box below Chipper Jones while he's at-bat: "Chipper Jones has the nickname Chipper"

God damn it.

No joke - I'm glad I didn't buy this. Thanks for your help everyone.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #359 on: March 04, 2009, 02:19:15 PM »
Quote from: Timmy B on March 04, 2009, 02:10:42 PM

They say the same thing for some Cubs players.  Theriot's nickname is "The Riot," Aramis's is "A Ram," and Lee's is "D Lee."  Lame.  The stats box below Carlos Lee told me he ranked, like, 8th in the league last year in saves.  Huh?  Plus, for some reason, "2008" (as in the year), shows up in the stats box as "216."  But I think hitting and pitching are really, really fun.  The fielding is messed up, obviously.  Did you try cursor hitting yet?
Hire Jim Essian!