News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Winter Olympics 2010  ( 34,420 )

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Winter Olympics 2010
« Reply #210 on: February 22, 2010, 10:57:30 AM »
Quote from: Jon on February 22, 2010, 09:46:59 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on February 22, 2010, 09:40:43 AM
Quote from: Oleg on February 22, 2010, 09:30:29 AM
Quote from: CBStew on February 22, 2010, 09:18:47 AM
I am not a fan of the White people's Olympics, nor am I a hockey fan.  However, I found last night's game to be very intense, especially the final five minutes.  Who knows?  Maybe I will watch more of this stuff.

Stew, I think your TV is still set at 1936.

Um...  That Olympics was all about Jesse Owens.

Oleg is watching his Olympics from a Harry Turtledove alternate reality where Hitler got the A-bomb.

I thought it the one where the South won the Civil War and the 1936 Olympics were in Richmond.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #211 on: February 22, 2010, 10:58:14 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on February 22, 2010, 10:48:16 AM
Besides, Chuck, having seen Contact and remember details from the awful movie are two different things.

Contact was terrific.  Well, except for Mr. Chuck's remembrance of Jody Foster.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #212 on: February 22, 2010, 10:59:36 AM »
Quote from: Tinker to Evers to Chance on February 22, 2010, 10:57:30 AM
Quote from: Jon on February 22, 2010, 09:46:59 AM
I am not a fan of the White people's Olympics, nor am I a hockey fan.  However, I found last night's game to be very intense, especially the final five minutes.  Who knows?  Maybe I will watch more of this stuff.

Oleg is watching his Olympics from a Harry Turtledove alternate reality where Hitler got the A-bomb.

I thought it the one where the South won the Civil War and the 1936 Olympics were in Richmond.

The important thing to remember: President Charles Lindbergh.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #213 on: February 22, 2010, 11:13:00 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on February 22, 2010, 10:48:16 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on February 22, 2010, 10:46:08 AM
Quote from: Oleg on February 22, 2010, 10:26:37 AM

Sorry, in a Winter Olympics 2010 thread I was crazy enough to think we were discussing the Winter Olympics.

If you've seen Contact, you know that the 1936 Summer Games (with Jesse Owens) were the first Olympics broadcast on television.

To be fair, when I got the idea for the response, I was thinking about the Summer Games.  Then before posting, I decided to Wikipedia to the '36 Winter Games.  And, here we are.

Besides, Chuck, having seen Contact and remember details from the awful movie are two different things.

What the hell's wrong with "Contact"?  Seems like a pretty imaginative movie for a godless heathen such as yourself.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #214 on: February 22, 2010, 11:21:14 AM »
Quote from: MAD on February 22, 2010, 11:13:00 AM

What the hell's wrong with "Contact"?  Seems like a pretty imaginative movie for a godless heathen such as yourself.

He didn't like that it left the possibility of YAHWEH's existence as a possibility.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #215 on: February 22, 2010, 11:24:50 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on February 22, 2010, 11:21:14 AM

He didn't like that it left the possibility of YAHWEH's existence as a possibility.

To say the least...

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #216 on: February 22, 2010, 11:26:56 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on February 22, 2010, 11:24:50 AM

To say the least...

Oleg said "least."
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #217 on: February 22, 2010, 11:31:42 AM »

Funny.  I thought Carl Sagan went to his grave a devout atheist.  Or are you saying the movie distorted the book's spirit?  C'mon.  Since when does Hollywood do that?
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #218 on: February 22, 2010, 11:33:24 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on February 22, 2010, 10:26:37 AM

Sorry, in a Winter Olympics 2010 thread I was crazy enough to think we were discussing the Winter Olympics.

Sonja Henie's biggest benefactors: Hitler and Arthur Wirtz.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #219 on: February 22, 2010, 11:35:43 AM »
Quote from: MAD on February 22, 2010, 11:31:42 AM

Funny.  I thought Carl Sagan went to his grave a devout atheist.  Or are you saying the movie distorted the book's spirit?  C'mon.  Since when does Hollywood do that?

That depends on how you define "atheist"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Sagan#Personal_life_and_beliefs

QuoteSagan wrote frequently about religion and the relationship between religion and science, expressing his skepticism about the conventional conceptualization of God as a sapient being. For example:

QuoteSome people think God is an outsized, light-skinned male with a long white beard, sitting on a throne somewhere up there in the sky, busily tallying the fall of every sparrow. Others—for example Baruch Spinoza and Albert Einstein—considered God to be essentially the sum total of the physical laws which describe the universe. I do not know of any compelling evidence for anthropomorphic patriarchs controlling human destiny from some hidden celestial vantage point, but it would be madness to deny the existence of physical laws.

Sagan, however, denied that he was an atheist: "An atheist has to know a lot more than I know." In reply to a question in 1996 about his religious beliefs, Sagan answered, "I'm agnostic." Sagan maintained that the idea of a creator of the universe was difficult to prove or disprove and that the only conceivable scientific discovery that could challenge it would be an infinitely old universe.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #220 on: February 22, 2010, 11:40:18 AM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on February 22, 2010, 11:35:43 AM

QuoteSagan wrote frequently about religion and the relationship between religion and science, expressing his skepticism about the conventional conceptualization of God as a sapient being. For example:

QuoteSome people think God is an outsized, light-skinned male with a long white beard, sitting on a throne somewhere up there in the sky, busily tallying the fall of every sparrow. Others—for example Baruch Spinoza and Albert Einstein—considered God to be essentially the sum total of the physical laws which describe the universe. I do not know of any compelling evidence for anthropomorphic patriarchs controlling human destiny from some hidden celestial vantage point, but it would be madness to deny the existence of physical laws.

Sagan, however, denied that he was an atheist: "An atheist has to know a lot more than I know." In reply to a question in 1996 about his religious beliefs, Sagan answered, "I'm agnostic." Sagan maintained that the idea of a creator of the universe was difficult to prove or disprove and that the only conceivable scientific discovery that could challenge it would be an infinitely old universe.

So what you're saying is, Contact was really good. I bet Oleg didn't like Red Dawn either.

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #221 on: February 22, 2010, 11:49:41 AM »
Quote from: R-V on February 22, 2010, 11:40:18 AM

So what you're saying is, Contact was really good. I bet Oleg didn't like Red Dawn either.

He probably liked the beginning.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #222 on: February 22, 2010, 11:53:33 AM »
"Contact" is a great book.  Sagan devoted much of it to both sides on the religion v. science issue.  And kept it all entertaining.  He's well regarded for his ability to explain science in terms dopes like us could understand, but he was a hell of an author, too.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #223 on: February 22, 2010, 11:55:23 AM »
Quote from: Tinker to Evers to Chance on February 22, 2010, 11:49:41 AM

Red Dawn keeps coming in conversation among a couple of co-wrokers and me.  I don't think I've ever seen.   I do hear they're remaking it.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #224 on: February 22, 2010, 12:00:54 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on February 22, 2010, 11:55:23 AM
Quote from: Tinker to Evers to Chance on February 22, 2010, 11:49:41 AM

Red Dawn keeps coming in conversation among a couple of co-wrokers and me.  I don't think I've ever seen.   I do hear they're remaking it.

Awesome at the time, but I don't think it holds up well at all.

Figures a commie like you never saw it though.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.