News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Phil Emery Is God - The 2014 Bears  ( 21,291 )

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Phil Emery Is God - The 2014 Bears
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2014, 06:26:38 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on January 02, 2014, 06:24:58 PM
Quote from: PANK! on January 02, 2014, 06:18:24 PM
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on January 02, 2014, 06:03:57 PM
Quote from: Fork on January 02, 2014, 03:21:02 PM
Usually meatballs are good and illogical, and I am happy in my avoidance of sports radio, but other than Career Backup McCown, did anyone offer up any options other than Cutler?

I was a fan of the tank on purpose for Jameis Winston strategy.  Why have an aging Cutler for 3+ years when you can have Cam Newton on steroids for 10?

But three more years of an aging top-15 QB who is inconsistent, throws way too many god-awful picks, can't beat the Packers, is consistently enigmatic in games (look at his career 2nd and 3rd quarter QB rating relative to 1st and 4th), locks into B-Marsh way too frequently and misses other open throws, and has no track record of meaningful success (and a record of crapping the bed in big games, actually) is an unabashedly good thing, when it's entirely possible right now with a porous defense to go the "suck for Luck" route?  (You have to feel for the Colts, going from franchise QB to.... .... ... franchise QB.)

I know we've been starved for good QB play for a long time, but seriously, fans of this are just a bunch of rabidly hungry dogs who will defend their ribeye from Outback like its a porterhouse from Peter Lugar's.  Eating scraps from the dumpster for a year would've been worth it to get Winston.

You're trolling us on purpose, right?  Is that what this is?

I don't think that people appreciate that Winston will be the best QB drafted since Peyton Manning.  I'd happily suffer through 16 games of Krenzel or Jonathan Quinn if it meant the opportunity to draft him.  I'd buy all 13 opponents' jerseys and wear them on Sunday if it meant the opportunity to draft him.

Maybe the Cubs trade the Rangers for his rights, and get 2/5 of the way to a starting rotation of otherwise would've-been first-round NFL picks.  I could live with that, but whoever wins the Winston draft-lottery is going to be set for a long time at the position.

Allegedly.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2014, 06:36:14 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 02, 2014, 06:26:38 PM
Usually meatballs are good and illogical, and I am happy in my avoidance of sports radio, but other than Career Backup McCown, did anyone offer up any options other than Cutler?

I was a fan of the tank on purpose for Jameis Winston strategy.  Why have an aging Cutler for 3+ years when you can have Cam Newton on steroids for 10?

But three more years of an aging top-15 QB who is inconsistent, throws way too many god-awful picks, can't beat the Packers, is consistently enigmatic in games (look at his career 2nd and 3rd quarter QB rating relative to 1st and 4th), locks into B-Marsh way too frequently and misses other open throws, and has no track record of meaningful success (and a record of crapping the bed in big games, actually) is an unabashedly good thing, when it's entirely possible right now with a porous defense to go the "suck for Luck" route?  (You have to feel for the Colts, going from franchise QB to.... .... ... franchise QB.)

I know we've been starved for good QB play for a long time, but seriously, fans of this are just a bunch of rabidly hungry dogs who will defend their ribeye from Outback like its a porterhouse from Peter Lugar's.  Eating scraps from the dumpster for a year would've been worth it to get Winston.

I don't think that people appreciate that Winston will be the best QB drafted since Peyton Manning.  I'd happily suffer through 16 games of Krenzel or Jonathan Quinn if it meant the opportunity to draft him.  I'd buy all 13 opponents' jerseys and wear them on Sunday if it meant the opportunity to draft him.

Maybe the Cubs trade the Rangers for his rights, and get 2/5 of the way to a starting rotation of otherwise would've-been first-round NFL picks.  I could live with that, but whoever wins the Winston draft-lottery is going to be set for a long time at the position.

Allegedly.

I'll happily take bets on Jameis Winston Super Bowl appearances to Cutler over the course of their careers.

And what did I say about Cutler that was incorrect?
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2014, 06:42:55 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on January 02, 2014, 06:36:14 PM

Allegedly.

I'll happily take bets on Jameis Winston Super Bowl appearances to Cutler over the course of their careers.

I'm no expert, but I'd call a trip to the NFC Championship game a meaningful success.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CubFaninHydePark

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2014, 06:55:59 PM »
Quote from: Fork on January 02, 2014, 06:42:55 PM
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on January 02, 2014, 06:36:14 PM

I was a fan of the tank on purpose for Jameis Winston strategy.  Why have an aging Cutler for 3+ years when you can have Cam Newton on steroids for 10?

But three more years of an aging top-15 QB who is inconsistent, throws way too many god-awful picks, can't beat the Packers, is consistently enigmatic in games (look at his career 2nd and 3rd quarter QB rating relative to 1st and 4th), locks into B-Marsh way too frequently and misses other open throws, and has no track record of meaningful success (and a record of crapping the bed in big games, actually) is an unabashedly good thing, when it's entirely possible right now with a porous defense to go the "suck for Luck" route?  (You have to feel for the Colts, going from franchise QB to.... .... ... franchise QB.)

I know we've been starved for good QB play for a long time, but seriously, fans of this are just a bunch of rabidly hungry dogs who will defend their ribeye from Outback like its a porterhouse from Peter Lugar's.  Eating scraps from the dumpster for a year would've been worth it to get Winston.

You're trolling us on purpose, right?  Is that what this is?

Allegedly.

I'm no expert, but I'd call a trip to the NFC Championship game a meaningful success.

4QBs get to play in a championship game every year - one year of playing in it is hardly the thing memorable careers are built upon.  Having a miserable first half even before getting hurt, even less of an accomplishment.  Or to quote Derrick Coleman: "whoop de damn do."

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2014, 07:36:25 PM »

Go home, CFiHP; you're drunk.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2014, 08:54:20 PM »
I know there's a lot here to digest, but I'd just like to point out that "consistently enigmatic" is my new favorite thing.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2014, 09:27:58 PM »
Quote from: CT III on January 02, 2014, 08:54:20 PM
I know there's a lot here to digest, but I'd just like to point out that "consistently enigmatic" is my new favorite thing.

"(look at his career 2nd and 3rd quarter QB rating relative to 1st and 4th)"

Jay Cutler's Career Passer Rating/Completion % by Quarter:

1st: 84.4/62.9%
2nd: 85.4/63.0%
3rd: 85.4/64.7%
4th: 79.4/57.2%

Consistently enigmatic, indeed.

"locks into B-Marsh way too frequently"
Brandon Marshall targets with Jay Cutler at QB: 101.
Alshon Jeffery targets with Jay Cutler at QB: 91.

Truly it's a terrible thing to target your five time Pro Bowl WR an average of one more fucking time per game than your #2 wideout.

"misses other open throws"

Apparently Jay Cutler, he of the 63.1 completion %, misses too many open throws, but Andrew Luck, Franchise QBTM and his 59.4% and career QB rating of 81.5 are worth tanking for.

You teach us so much, CFiHP. You teach us all. I'm so glad you can continue to enjoy Jay Cutler for another 3-7 years, you fuckhead.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2014, 10:37:52 PM »
Why have an aging Cutler for 3+ years when you can have Cam Newton on steroids for 10?

Because Forte, Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett, and the O-line are good right now.

CubFaninHydePark

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2014, 10:41:28 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 02, 2014, 09:27:58 PM
Quote from: CT III on January 02, 2014, 08:54:20 PM

"(look at his career 2nd and 3rd quarter QB rating relative to 1st and 4th)"

Jay Cutler's Career Passer Rating/Completion % by Quarter:

1st: 84.4/62.9%
2nd: 85.4/63.0%
3rd: 85.4/64.7%
4th: 79.4/57.2%

Consistently enigmatic, indeed.

"locks into B-Marsh way too frequently"
Brandon Marshall targets with Jay Cutler at QB: 101.
Alshon Jeffery targets with Jay Cutler at QB: 91.

Truly it's a terrible thing to target your five time Pro Bowl WR an average of one more fucking time per game than your #2 wideout.

"misses other open throws"

Apparently Jay Cutler, he of the 63.1 completion %, misses too many open throws, but Andrew Luck, Franchise QBTM and his 59.4% and career QB rating of 81.5 are worth tanking for.

You teach us so much, CFiHP. You teach us all. I'm so glad you can continue to enjoy Jay Cutler for another 3-7 years, you fuckhead.

The last three seasons, Cutler has had horrible quarters (they've rotated) of sub-70 (or even sub-60) QBRs.  He looks consistent over the course of his career, but most individual seasons have some astonishing differentials by quarter.

More telling though is that in 7 years as a starter, Cutler's only +14 in TD passes to INTs.  This season alone, Brees was +17.  Luck was +14 this season alone and is +19 in his 2-season career.  Rodgers was +11 in his limited this season, and he's a disgusting +136 in a career that's only 2 years longer than Jay.  And Rodgers has had some pretty shitty/beat up o-lines in Green Bay and has never thrown a pass to a receiver as good as B-Marsh.

How can a franchise QB have gone 7 seasons as a starter and only thrown 14 more TDs than INTs?  That's pretty fucking pathetic.  That number should be somewhere around +40 - +50 by now.

Oh, Cutler has thrown more than twice as many picks as Rodgers has in their respective careers (112 - 52).  That's...ummmm....a lot?  At least enough that you can't ignore the fact that there's a yawning chasm between Jay and the top 5 QBs in the league...And I swear half of Jay's were against Green Bay.

But Jay is basically getting paid as well as Rodgers.  Talk about laughing (or crying) all the way to the bank.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2014, 10:43:44 PM »

Good sentence.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2014, 12:08:17 AM »
So if you have the #2 offense in the NFL, with only 2 starters over the age of 30, and a shitpile of a defense, the surest way to build a contender is to tear apart said offense and intentionally lose games so you can get a quarterback who may eventually be better than the one you have right now, who just lead the NFL's #2 ranked scoring offense.

Barring that, just draft the greatest quarterback of all time and five pro bowl linemen.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

CubFaninHydePark

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2014, 02:01:36 AM »
Quote from: SKO on January 03, 2014, 12:08:17 AM
So if you have the #2 offense in the NFL, with only 2 starters over the age of 30, and a shitpile of a defense, the surest way to build a contender is to tear apart said offense and intentionally lose games so you can get a quarterback who may eventually be better than the one you have right now, who just lead the NFL's #2 ranked scoring offense.

Barring that, just draft the greatest quarterback of all time and five pro bowl linemen.

Doesn't the fact that they were able to sustain the pace with a career backup say two things?

1. That it's the offense, not the QB?

And/or

2. That a QB as valuable as Cutler supposedly is should be putting up noticeably better #'s under that system than the career backup, not equivalent numbers with more INTs?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2014, 08:25:46 AM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on January 03, 2014, 02:01:36 AM

Doesn't the fact that they were able to sustain the pace with a career backup say two things?

And/or

2. That a QB as valuable as Cutler supposedly is should be putting up noticeably better #'s under that system than the career backup, not equivalent numbers with more INTs?

In 1995, in Trestman's offense, Elvis Grbac had a higher completion %, rating, and YPA than Steve Young in five starts. It's almost like backups sometimes go on inexplicably good runs before defenses adjust to them. Or they just play bad defenses.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2014, 08:45:53 AM »

And/or

Or,

3. McCown was fortunate to play against the worst defenses in the NFL in the games he started.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2014, 09:03:31 AM »
Quote from: Eli on January 03, 2014, 08:45:53 AM

And/or

Or,

3. McCown was fortunate to play against the worst defenses in the NFL in the games he started.

Including the Vikings who kicked his ugly white ass all over the carpet.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.