News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Phil Emery Is God - The 2014 Bears  ( 21,315 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Phil Emery Is God - The 2014 Bears
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2014, 12:17:00 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on January 04, 2014, 11:39:09 AM
The burden is on Cutler defenders here.

Oh, OK.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2014, 03:18:00 PM »
Quote from: Eli on January 04, 2014, 12:17:00 PM
The burden is on Cutler defenders here.

Oh, OK.

I for one, surrender to this superior logic.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2014, 04:27:08 PM »
I just wish we had Luck. Right?

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2014, 05:54:23 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 04, 2014, 04:27:08 PM

Don't speak so soon - Colts are down, but still very much in the game....

Edit: So, you were saying....?

And yeah, I'd take a much younger Luck over Cutler right now.  That's sort of a no brainer.  That scoop of the fumble and dive into the end zone is going to be a staple of highlight films for years...and could very well be a career-defining moment.  What a game.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2014, 06:21:37 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on January 04, 2014, 05:54:23 PM

Don't speak so soon - Colts are down, but still very much in the game.

And yeah, I'd take a much younger Luck over Cutler right now.  That's sort of a no brainer.

Right that wrong, Emstink.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2014, 07:01:39 PM »

And yeah, I'd take a much younger Luck over Cutler right now.  That's sort of a no brainer.

Cool - I'm sure the Colts would be excited to give him up

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2014, 08:12:58 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on January 04, 2014, 07:01:39 PM

Cool - I'm sure the Colts would be excited to give him up

He certainly was consistently enigmatic today.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2014, 09:31:27 AM »
The last time I dropped acid it was when I saw Consistently Enigmatic open for Because Fuck Steve Trachsel.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2014, 10:37:19 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on January 05, 2014, 09:31:27 AM
The last time I dropped acid it was when I saw Consistently Enigmatic open for Because Fuck Steve Trachsel.

Urban Thoreau pulled out of that tour because we had an offer to open for the Brando Pranksters.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2014, 07:00:05 PM »
Quote from: CT III on January 03, 2014, 09:04:43 AM
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on January 03, 2014, 02:01:36 AM
Quote from: SKO on January 03, 2014, 12:08:17 AM
So if you have the #2 offense in the NFL, with only 2 starters over the age of 30, and a shitpile of a defense, the surest way to build a contender is to tear apart said offense and intentionally lose games so you can get a quarterback who may eventually be better than the one you have right now, who just lead the NFL's #2 ranked scoring offense.

Barring that, just draft the greatest quarterback of all time and five pro bowl linemen.

Doesn't the fact that they were able to sustain the pace with a career backup say two things?

1. That it's the offense, not the QB?

And/or

2. That a QB as valuable as Cutler supposedly is should be putting up noticeably better #'s under that system than the career backup, not equivalent numbers with more INTs?

So if your argument is that the offense makes the man, why are you advocating "tanking" an entire season to get the first pick in the draft and take a franchise QB?

Because an excellent QB should be able to put up even better numbers in a good offense?  Can you imagine Rodgers for a full season in this offense?  He could've raced Manning this season if he were wearing a Bears jersey.  Instead we pay a guy Rodgers money to play significantly worse than him when he's not injured.

The burden is on Cutler defenders here.  Why has he only thrown 18 more TDs than INTs over HIS ENTIRE CAREER?  Why does he continue to throw the same fucking lazy INTs off his back foot, sailing balls over open receivers or causing his receivers to only be able to tip them to defenders?  Oh, and the injury prone-ness and horrific record against winning teams (something like 10-28 since 2009).

Cutler is every bit the fraud that Romo is, getting paid the same money as guys who actually earn it season in and season out.

As long as the Packers have a relatively young Rodgers, every team in the NFC North is locked in an arms race that they can't win on offense.  There are two strategies that I think are viable: 1. build a defense that, when coupled with an offense that may not be prolific, but can possess the ball and be responsible with it, can let you win a close, low-scoring game, or 2. concede the arms race in the short-term, devote your resources towards youth and finding a franchise QB in the draft that will be ready to exert Rodgers-like dominance of the division right at the time that Rodgers is getting old.

The Bears obviously decided to move away from strategy #1, in fairness, because it was probably still suboptimal and proved to be as the 1-8 mark against them of late has proved.  But trying to outscore the Packers with a healthy Rodgers is also likely to fail.

The real plan this GM should be judged on is what he does to build the team for the post-Rodgers NFC North.

Aaron Rodgers and your beloved Packers just lost another home playoff game for you to conveniently forget the next time you unsnap your cockholster to tell us all how great they are.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2014, 08:37:20 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 05, 2014, 07:00:05 PM
Quote from: CT III on January 03, 2014, 09:04:43 AM
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on January 03, 2014, 02:01:36 AM
Quote from: SKO on January 03, 2014, 12:08:17 AM
So if you have the #2 offense in the NFL, with only 2 starters over the age of 30, and a shitpile of a defense, the surest way to build a contender is to tear apart said offense and intentionally lose games so you can get a quarterback who may eventually be better than the one you have right now, who just lead the NFL's #2 ranked scoring offense.

Barring that, just draft the greatest quarterback of all time and five pro bowl linemen.

Doesn't the fact that they were able to sustain the pace with a career backup say two things?

1. That it's the offense, not the QB?

And/or

2. That a QB as valuable as Cutler supposedly is should be putting up noticeably better #'s under that system than the career backup, not equivalent numbers with more INTs?

So if your argument is that the offense makes the man, why are you advocating "tanking" an entire season to get the first pick in the draft and take a franchise QB?

Because an excellent QB should be able to put up even better numbers in a good offense?  Can you imagine Rodgers for a full season in this offense?  He could've raced Manning this season if he were wearing a Bears jersey.  Instead we pay a guy Rodgers money to play significantly worse than him when he's not injured.

The burden is on Cutler defenders here.  Why has he only thrown 18 more TDs than INTs over HIS ENTIRE CAREER?  Why does he continue to throw the same fucking lazy INTs off his back foot, sailing balls over open receivers or causing his receivers to only be able to tip them to defenders?  Oh, and the injury prone-ness and horrific record against winning teams (something like 10-28 since 2009).

Cutler is every bit the fraud that Romo is, getting paid the same money as guys who actually earn it season in and season out.

As long as the Packers have a relatively young Rodgers, every team in the NFC North is locked in an arms race that they can't win on offense.  There are two strategies that I think are viable: 1. build a defense that, when coupled with an offense that may not be prolific, but can possess the ball and be responsible with it, can let you win a close, low-scoring game, or 2. concede the arms race in the short-term, devote your resources towards youth and finding a franchise QB in the draft that will be ready to exert Rodgers-like dominance of the division right at the time that Rodgers is getting old.

The Bears obviously decided to move away from strategy #1, in fairness, because it was probably still suboptimal and proved to be as the 1-8 mark against them of late has proved.  But trying to outscore the Packers with a healthy Rodgers is also likely to fail.

The real plan this GM should be judged on is what he does to build the team for the post-Rodgers NFC North.

Aaron Rodgers and your beloved Packers just lost another home playoff game for you to conveniently forget the next time you unsnap your cockholster to tell us all how great they are.

If the Bears had Aaron Rodgers they could have lost yesterday instead of the Packers.  Cutstink is terrible.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2014, 09:05:04 AM »
Because an excellent QB should be able to put up even better numbers in a good offense?

Gerard: Why did Richard Kimble kill his wife.

CopFromHydePark: He did it for the money.

Gerard: What do you mean, he did it for the money? He's a doctor. He's already rich.

CopFromHydePark: But she was more rich.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2014, 10:12:51 AM »
So let's start throwing some free agent names out there. Who's going to actually be available? Who will be franchised or re-signed? Which signings will prepare the Bears for the only era that matters, the post-Rodgers NFC North?

TJ Ward
Jairus Byrd
Michael Bennett
Michael Johnson
Greg Hardy
Alex Mack

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2014, 11:08:37 AM »
Rankings by Bleacher Report:

1. Greg Hardy, 25

There is very little chance the Carolina Panthers allow him to hit the open market after his 15 sacks and No. 3 billing among 4-3 defensive ends at Pro Football Focus (subscription required). Hardy might be headed for the franchise tag, according to a tweet from Steve Reed of the Associated Press.

2. Jared Allen, 31

Pass-rushers like Allen usually are not available. Despite getting up there in years, you cannot deny his consistent production. He's surpassed double digits in sacks each of the past seven years. His age and price tag make it unlikely he returns to the Minnesota Vikings.

3. Michael Johnson, 26

The Cincinnati Bengals have a strong and deep defensive front, and Johnson slumped from 11.5 sacks in 2012 to just 3.5 this year. His No. 4 ranking at PFF should net him a solid contract on the market, especially when you consider he is just now entering his prime years of production.

4. Lamarr Houston, 26

He told Jerry McDonald of the Oakland Tribune he expects the Oakland Raiders to allow him to move on this winter. His age and durability should help him line up plenty of suitors, even if he is better against the run than rushing the passer.

5. Michael Bennett, 28

He has posted back-to-back healthy and solid seasons, totaling 17.5 sacks between the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Seattle Seahawks. The Seahawks' depth might afford him an opportunity on the open market again this winter.

6. Justin Tuck, 30

He had a well-timed rebound season and has told the New York Post's Bart Hubbuch there will be no "hometown discount" in a potential return to the New York Giants, who have Jason Pierre-Paul and Damontre Moore under contract as bookends. His veteran leadership is intriguing, but his medicals are a bit sketchy. He has dealt with chronic neck issues.

7. Arthur Jones, 27

The cap crunch likely means Jones priced himself out of the Baltimore Ravens' range. Jones had four sacks and rated as the 12th-best 3-4 defensive end, according to PFF.

8. Robert Ayers, 28

He had a solid first season replacing Elvis Dumervil, registering 5.5 sacks and ranking 14th at PFF among 4-3 defensive ends.

9. Anthony Spencer, 29

Microfracture knee surgery has ended careers of athletes in recent years, but name and potential might drum up some interest in Spencer this winter.

10. Antonio Smith, 32

It helped having J.J. Watt drawing the extra attention on the other side, but Smith earned his own keep with five sacks.

Best of the Rest

Frostee Rucker, 30
    Brett Keisel, 35
    Ziggy Hood, 26

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2014, 11:09:14 AM »
DTs

1. Henry Melton, 27

The Chicago Bears missed Melton so much after he went down with a torn ACL that they wound up having the worst run defense in football. The injury makes him a bit of a risk, but he is young enough to rebound and earn something this winter.

2. Jason Hatcher, 31

The cap-strapped Dallas Cowboys likely cannot afford Hatcher after a career year when he totaled 11 sacks, which is almost triple his previous career high. He is going to earn a market-value deal based on his numbers, numbers which are unlikely to be repeated as he enters the twilight of his career.

3. Randy Starks, 30

He has always been a bit under-appreciated, but Pro Football Focus (subscription required) might change that by grading him as the seventh-best defensive tackle in football. He rates just above fellow free-agent teammate Paul Soliai here.

4. Linval Joseph, 25

The New York Giants have depth along the defensive line, but they will want to keep it that way when it comes to Joseph. The East Carolina product might have priced himself out of town, though.

5. B.J. Raji, 27

Although he hasn't recorded a sack in either of the past two seasons, he's still a load to handle in the running game. Expect the Green Bay Packers to re-sign him.

Honorable Mention: Paul Soliai, 30

He is a run-stuffer who might be more affordable to bring back than Starks. The Dolphins need to try to re-sign both.

Best of the Rest

Clinton McDonald, 26
    Vance Walker, 26
    Jonathan Babineaux, 32
    Kevin Williams, 33
    Fred Evans, 30
    Aubrayo Franklin, 33
    Shaun Rogers, 34