News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Phil Emery Is God - The 2014 Bears  ( 21,348 )

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Phil Emery Is God - The 2014 Bears
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2014, 11:18:55 AM »
Scouring the interwebs for the latest news on the guys on RV's list.

TJ Ward - Wants to return to Cleveland, he says. Doubt they'd let him go.
Jairus Byrd - Will be re-signed or tagged by the Bills per their GM in season-review press conference.
Michael Bennett - Definitely an option, since Martellus plays here and the two are close. Seattke is deep enough to let him walk.
Michael Johnson - Not sure who that is. I think he plays soccer and made some homophobic remarks that got him in trouble.
Greg Hardy - After talking "hometown discount" the self-styled "Kraken" now wants a "big number, nothing imaginary." Panthers might very well tag him.
Alex Mack - Although he's a UFA, he says he will give Cleveland right of first refusal when and if he hits the market. He also wants to stay in Cleveland. What's wrong with people?

EDIT: The Michael Johnson who plays for the Bengals?
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2014, 11:21:17 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 06, 2014, 11:08:37 AM
Rankings by Bleacher Report:

The expert take?
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2014, 11:34:35 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 06, 2014, 11:18:55 AM

Jairus Byrd - Will be re-signed or tagged by the Bills per their GM in season-review press conference.
Michael Bennett - Definitely an option, since Martellus plays here and the two are close. Seattke is deep enough to let him walk.
Michael Johnson - Not sure who that is. I think he plays soccer and made some homophobic remarks that got him in trouble.
Greg Hardy - After talking "hometown discount" the self-styled "Kraken" now wants a "big number, nothing imaginary." Panthers might very well tag him.
Alex Mack - Although he's a UFA, he says he will give Cleveland right of first refusal when and if he hits the market. He also wants to stay in Cleveland. What's wrong with people?

Yes, I imagine so. 

He's going to be an FA, though coming off a bit of a down year (tackles were up, sacks way down.) 

He'll be expensive, for sure.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2014, 12:25:48 PM »

*sigh*
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2014, 12:29:57 PM »

Sounds like Wyrd & Bard are long shots, which is a shame. I want this to be the year that the Bears get a safety who's worth a shit.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2014, 12:32:35 PM »
Quote from: R-V on January 06, 2014, 12:29:57 PM

Sounds like Wyrd & Bard are long shots, which is a shame. I want this to be the year that the Bears get a safety who's worth a shit.

I want it to be the year that they get so many good pass-rushing linemen that whatever safeties they scrape up look competent enough to win.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2014, 01:44:24 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 06, 2014, 12:32:35 PM

I want it to be the year that they get so many good pass-rushing linemen that whatever safeties they scrape up look competent enough to win.

My practical and somewhat realistic scenario is Michael Bennett and Donte Whitner as their two big defensive FAs, followed by some "prove it" deals to Henry Melton and Nate Collins and Ratliff, with several other veteran one year deals with the option of getting extended on The Slauson Plan if you perform. Then in the draft I'd expect best available safety/DL in round one and whatever they don't nab in round one in round 2.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2014, 02:07:34 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 06, 2014, 01:44:24 PM

My practical and somewhat realistic scenario is Michael Bennett and Donte Whitner as their two big defensive FAs, followed by some "prove it" deals to Henry Melton and Nate Collins and Ratliff, with several other veteran one year deals with the option of getting extended on The Slauson Plan if you perform. Then in the draft I'd expect best available safety/DL in round one and whatever they don't nab in round one in round 2.

And Peppers is gone?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2014, 02:28:26 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 06, 2014, 02:07:34 PM

And Peppers is gone?

Yeah I think he has to be. Reading through this conversation:

https://twitter.com/djdurkin/status/420269666250915840

The Bears have about $121 M in current 2014 commitments and the cap is going to be about $126 M. That means only $5 M in cap space for free agents.

Cutting Bush, Conte, Earl and Podlesh frees up about $5 M in cap space, so that's $10 M to spend without cutting Peppers.

Cut Peppers and that frees up another $10 M, so that would give Phil $20 M to spend.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2014, 02:32:00 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 06, 2014, 02:07:34 PM

And Peppers is gone?

Peppers is so gone, but probably not until after June 1st. If they make a him a post June 1st cut they can save up to $14 mil against this year's cap vs. just 9 mil if they cut him before.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2014, 02:50:56 PM »
And available cap space on January 6th matters about as much as the number of unicorns on the practice squad. Worth noting that I believe the Bears supposedly entered free agency last year with just 9.5 mil in space and turned that into Bushrod and Marty B. and then an avalanche of veteran minimum players like Slauson.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2014, 06:17:22 PM »
Has anyone else yet figured out how 155 minus 112 is 18? By my math that's 43. Granted that's far from the td:int ratio that Aaron Rodgers has, and Lord knows you either have Aaron Rodgers or you are fucked, but happy once again to point out that ole fuckwit either can't read or can't do basic fucking math

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2014, 06:49:10 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 06, 2014, 06:17:22 PM
Has anyone else yet figured out how 155 minus 112 is 18? By my math that's 43. Granted that's far from the td:int ratio that Aaron Rodgers has, and Lord knows you either have Aaron Rodgers or you are fucked, but happy once again to point out that ole fuckwit either can't read or can't do basic fucking math

Perhaps he's posting from 2010.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2014, 07:04:37 PM »
I also love that your two strategies are either a: be bad offense, good defense and try to beat Aaron Rodgers 17-14, or b: just sit this thing out until Aaron Rodgers chooses to go away and leave you be. God forbid you go the good offense, slightly less than fucking terrible defense route, because for fuck's sake they just lost said arms race by five fucking points thanks to Chris Conte.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2014, 08:13:46 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 06, 2014, 07:04:37 PM
I also love that your two strategies are either a: be bad offense, good defense and try to beat Aaron Rodgers 17-14, or b: just sit this thing out until Aaron Rodgers chooses to go away and leave you be. God forbid you go the good offense, slightly less than fucking terrible defense route, because for fuck's sake they just lost said arms race by five fucking points thanks to Chris Conte.

If Chris Conte played the same number of snaps for San Francisco the Niners would not have won yesterday.