News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Phil Emery Is God - The 2014 Bears  ( 21,314 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Phil Emery Is God - The 2014 Bears
« Reply #135 on: March 11, 2014, 03:51:41 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on March 11, 2014, 03:40:10 PM
Quote from: SKO on March 11, 2014, 03:26:56 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on March 11, 2014, 03:20:52 PM
Quote from: SKO on March 11, 2014, 03:07:36 PM
Quote from: SKO on March 11, 2014, 08:10:20 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on March 10, 2014, 09:20:42 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on March 07, 2014, 12:07:51 PM
So that report was stupid and wrong: Bennett is testing free agency. Come on, Black Unicorn, work your magic.

Julius Peppers or bust!

I wanted Bennett as much as anybody but there are still options. Lamarr Houston is certainly a capable generic Michael Bennett replacement.

Good call, Me

Yeah, you were one of only a handful of hundreds of sources indicating that the Bears had an interest in Houston.

Glad we agree that I was right.

Try to go two-for-two and tell us whether he's worth a shit.

Short answer: absolutely.
Long answer: There will be rage as he'll probably never get more than 7 or 8 sacks in a season. He'll move from DE to DT and almost single-handedly shut down half the field in run defense as he led the entire NFL in run stop % as a DE last year, but the short-sighted comparison will be to Julius Peppers or the DANIMAL or whoever the fuck and he'll be found wanting despite giving the defense a hell of a lot more flexibility.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #136 on: March 11, 2014, 03:56:48 PM »
I'd also say he's a relative bargain in this market given that he got far less money than Michael Johnson and Everson Griffin (36th ranked DE in 2013=43 million by Vikings Math) and almost 10 million less in guaranteed money than Bennett.

You want numbers?

According to PFF he was their 11th overall 4-3 DE last year. He was 1st in run stop % (runs stopped for a loss or a gain of less than 3 yards). He was 8th in QB Hits at 16, and 9th in QB Pressures at 41.

I say good deal.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #137 on: March 11, 2014, 04:08:12 PM »
So Peppers is now going to get cut, right?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #138 on: March 11, 2014, 04:11:52 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on March 11, 2014, 04:08:12 PM
So Peppers is now going to get cut, right?

I really can't imagine a scenario in which he wouldn't, but the fact that they haven't cut him yet is interesting.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #139 on: March 11, 2014, 04:23:24 PM »
Quote from: SKO on March 11, 2014, 03:56:48 PM
I'd also say he's a relative bargain in this market given that he got far less money than Michael Johnson and Everson Griffin (36th ranked DE in 2013=43 million by Vikings Math) and almost 10 million less in guaranteed money than Bennett.

You want numbers?

According to PFF he was their 11th overall 4-3 DE last year. He was 1st in run stop % (runs stopped for a loss or a gain of less than 3 yards). He was 8th in QB Hits at 16, and 9th in QB Pressures at 41.

I say good deal.

He has a very strange surface.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #140 on: March 11, 2014, 04:32:50 PM »
They also re-signed D.J. Williams and are reportedly close to a deal with former Giants/Steelers safety Ryan Mundy.

So there is stuff that is happening.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #141 on: March 11, 2014, 04:33:43 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on March 11, 2014, 04:32:50 PM
They also re-signed D.J. Williams and are reportedly close to a deal with former Giants/Steelers safety Ryan Mundy.

Both of whom are just average. Which is exponentially better than what they fielded at MLB safety the last 9 games last year. So huzzah

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #142 on: March 11, 2014, 04:35:23 PM »

Stuff is happening.  Has Chris Conte been released/defenestrated/tarred and feathered/exiled yet?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #143 on: March 11, 2014, 04:38:38 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on March 11, 2014, 04:35:23 PM

Stuff is happening.  Has Chris Conte been released/defenestrated/tarred and feathered/exiled yet?

He's on the team for next year. Major Wrong won't be returning. I would expect them to draft a safety to compete with Conte for the starting gig and hopefully Chris makes an impact and breaks his clavicle on special teams.  

And I'm hearing Ryan Mundy was responsible for the coverage gaffe that allowed Tebow to chase Demaryus Thomas all the way into the tunnel and do gross things to him in the playoffs. So... he's the black Conte I guess. Pen?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #144 on: March 11, 2014, 04:41:36 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on March 11, 2014, 04:38:38 PM

Stuff is happening.  Has Chris Conte been released/defenestrated/tarred and feathered/exiled yet?

He's on the team for next year. Major Wrong won't be returning. I would expect them to draft a safety to compete with Conte for the starting gig and hopefully Chris makes an impact and breaks his clavicle on special teams.  

And I'm hearing Ryan Mundy was responsible for the coverage gaffe that allowed Tebow to chase Demaryus Thomas all the way into the tunnel and do gross things to him in the playoffs. So... he's the black Conte I guess. Pen?

Fuck.  Emstink is terrible.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #145 on: March 11, 2014, 04:52:32 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on March 11, 2014, 04:41:36 PM

I'm hearing Mundy is mostly a special teamer. Meh.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #146 on: March 11, 2014, 04:53:11 PM »

I doubt they've penciled Mundy in as a starter anyway. My guess is they're not done adding safeties. They may not add one of the big names but they're probably waiting for guys in the middle tier to see what the market is.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #147 on: March 11, 2014, 05:04:40 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on March 11, 2014, 04:52:32 PM

Stuff is happening.  Has Chris Conte been released/defenestrated/tarred and feathered/exiled yet?

Special teams would probably be fine for him.  I'm desperate for impact players on defense.  It's okay though... Phil's got a process.

Now Hub is on B&B to tell everyone how much he hated these moves and how Phil doesn't know what he's doing.  As soon as Hub takes a stand, I'll know what to think about these moves: the opposite of Hub.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #148 on: March 11, 2014, 10:25:17 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on March 11, 2014, 05:04:40 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on March 11, 2014, 04:52:32 PM

Special teams would probably be fine for him.  I'm desperate for impact players on defense.  It's okay though... Phil's got a process.

Now Hub is on B&B to tell everyone how much he hated these moves and how Phil doesn't know what he's doing.  As soon as Hub takes a stand, I'll know what to think about these moves: the opposite of Hub.

Mundy lost his starting spot last year in the juggernaut that was the Giants secondary.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.