News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: MLB 2K9  ( 110,117 )

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: MLB 2K9
« Reply #255 on: February 19, 2009, 01:42:47 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on February 19, 2009, 01:21:26 PM
Franchise sounds pretty awesome, and those are some decent-looking sim stats.  He also mentions that the updated code is running smoothly.

The guy who wrote that did a good job of managing his season by sending Zito away for Byrd and signing Pedro.  Also, the Berkman deal was tits for him.  I like what I'm reading.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Timmy B

• Hank White Fan Club
    • moviemantim@hotmail.com
« Reply #256 on: February 19, 2009, 06:54:38 PM »
Something that's bugged me for a while -- not long after Electronic Arts nabbed the NFL license, the company made a separate deal to acquire the ESPN license (which had until then been in the hands of Sega / 2K; I think the last game to utilize it was NFL2K5). EA has done fuck-all with the ESPN licensing.

It stuck out to me when I heard that end-of-inning music in the Cubs-Cards footage -- the stuff that sounds like a really close knock-off of the Baseball Tonight music.

It's superficial, I know, but I miss the added punch that games had when they licensed the graphics, sounds, etc., of the stations. Then again, if it keeps us from MLB 2K10 with FOX Sports and Joe Buck and Tim McCarver, I guess it's not a huge loss.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #257 on: February 19, 2009, 07:34:45 PM »
Quote from: Timmy B on February 19, 2009, 06:54:38 PM
Something that's bugged me for a while -- not long after Electronic Arts nabbed the NFL license, the company made a separate deal to acquire the ESPN license (which had until then been in the hands of Sega / 2K; I think the last game to utilize it was NFL2K5). EA has done fuck-all with the ESPN licensing.

It stuck out to me when I heard that end-of-inning music in the Cubs-Cards footage -- the stuff that sounds like a really close knock-off of the Baseball Tonight music.

It's superficial, I know, but I miss the added punch that games had when they licensed the graphics, sounds, etc., of the stations. Then again, if it keeps us from MLB 2K10 with FOX Sports and Joe Buck and Tim McCarver, I guess it's not a huge loss.

All they've really done is use it to give us ESPN podcasts and radio updates from 2 days ago when we log in to Xbox live at the start of a game. Even a neato little scrolling ticker that shows you current scores of games around the world. Only if you decided to switch menu screens (which is only happening constantly) the scores reset.

In other words: what TimmyB said.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #258 on: February 19, 2009, 07:35:50 PM »

That's a good point about the graphics and statistical overlays from the official sports stations.  NFL 2K5 did it to perfection.  It always felt like an ESPN Sunday Night NFL broadcast.

Since 2K9 has gone into the MLB.com think, I wouldn't be surprised if they team up for next year with MLB Network and use their graphics and whatnot.  We're not used to them now, but they may become iconic by the end of the season as I plan on seeing a lot of MLB Network over ESPN this summer.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #259 on: February 20, 2009, 11:59:40 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on February 19, 2009, 07:35:50 PM

That's a good point about the graphics and statistical overlays from the official sports stations.  NFL 2K5 did it to perfection.  It always felt like an ESPN Sunday Night NFL broadcast.

Since 2K9 has gone into the MLB.com think, I wouldn't be surprised if they team up for next year with MLB Network and use their graphics and whatnot.  We're not used to them now, but they may become iconic by the end of the season as I plan on seeing a lot of MLB Network over ESPN this summer.

I despise Berman, but the NFL 2K5 Halftime Show was the coolest goddamn thing in sports video games.
Hire Jim Essian!

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #260 on: February 20, 2009, 01:05:24 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on February 20, 2009, 11:59:40 AM

I despise Berman, but the NFL 2K5 Halftime Show was the coolest goddamn thing in sports video games.

What's up with 45 minutes of TOP in the first half?

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #261 on: February 20, 2009, 01:47:05 PM »
Quote from: Slakee on February 20, 2009, 01:05:24 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on February 20, 2009, 11:59:40 AM

What's up with 45 minutes of TOP in the first half?

I'm sure it was some teeny-bopper playing 30-minute quarters, or something.  I didn't even notice it, as I was hypnotized by virtual Chris "It Must be Freezing in Here, Because I Keep Saying" Berman.
Hire Jim Essian!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #262 on: February 20, 2009, 05:30:56 PM »
For anyone that wants this the day it comes out but doesn't want to get off their ass and go to the store, EB/Gamestop currently has free overnight shipping when you pre-order online:

http://www.ebgames.com/stores/stopwatch/stopwatch.aspx

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
« Reply #263 on: February 20, 2009, 11:09:38 PM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on February 19, 2009, 01:42:47 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on February 19, 2009, 01:21:26 PM
Franchise sounds pretty awesome, and those are some decent-looking sim stats.  He also mentions that the updated code is running smoothly.

The guy who wrote that did a good job of managing his season by sending Zito away for Byrd and signing Pedro.  Also, the Berkman deal was tits for him.  I like what I'm reading.

I thought the HR numbers were a tad high for everyone except Berkman, but the other numbers are pretty realistic.

The only other number that caught my eye was Wellemeyer going 17-9. Even I, who always considers the Cardinals a threat, think that will never happen. The rest of it looks good.

And it was nice to see somebody finally having a "heartbreaking" playoff series loss TO the Cubs rather than the other way around.
Desipio is a free-flowing website that occasionally touches on the immaturity, foolishness and outright stupidity of its readership.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #264 on: February 23, 2009, 07:38:31 PM »
A 3-inning demo between the Rays and Phillies is coming out tomorrow for the 360 (4 a.m. is the usual release time).  I think it comes out Thursday for the PS3.
Hire Jim Essian!

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #265 on: February 24, 2009, 10:54:31 AM »
My impressions (with apologies to Andy, since I didn't want to rewrite all that nonsense).
Hire Jim Essian!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #266 on: February 24, 2009, 11:59:01 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on February 24, 2009, 10:54:31 AM
My impressions (with apologies to Andy, since I didn't want to rewrite all that nonsense).

I just played through 3 innings.  I was pretty impressed.  My two main complaints were the baserunner icon (that thing is retarded) and the pitching was a bit too easy.  I didn't give up a hit in the 3 innings.  And I got 6 hits myself, but didn't score any runs.  The few balls hit in the air in the outfield were also kind of hard to track down, but I couldn't tell if that's because the momentum of the fielders was just very realistic, or way too slow.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #267 on: February 24, 2009, 12:07:54 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on February 24, 2009, 11:59:01 AM

I just played through 3 innings.  I was pretty impressed.  My two main complaints were the baserunner icon (that thing is retarded) and the pitching was a bit too easy.  I didn't give up a hit in the 3 innings.  And I got 6 hits myself, but didn't score any runs.  The few balls hit in the air in the outfield were also kind of hard to track down, but I couldn't tell if that's because the momentum of the fielders was just very realistic, or way too slow.

I must suck at this game.  I got one hit in six innings.
Hire Jim Essian!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #268 on: February 24, 2009, 12:10:45 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on February 24, 2009, 12:07:54 PM
Quote from: Weebs on February 24, 2009, 11:59:01 AM

I must suck at this game.  I got one hit in six innings.

I still don't have the timing down right.  I found myself not swinging at a lot of pitches because apparently I wasn't pulling back at the right time.  It was really bizarre.  I can say the baserunning is pretty awful though.  I think to switch runners now, you have to cycle through them with the A button.  That's the only way I found to do it.  Also, I couldn't find a button to steal a base.  I had Crawford and Upton on, led off with them, and tried just about every button I could think of.  Nothing worked.  Was it some kind of combination of buttons you had to press in last year's game?

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #269 on: February 24, 2009, 01:07:41 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on February 24, 2009, 12:10:45 PM
I can say the baserunning is pretty awful though.  I think to switch runners now, you have to cycle through them with the A button.  That's the only way I found to do it.  Also, I couldn't find a button to steal a base.  I had Crawford and Upton on, led off with them, and tried just about every button I could think of.  Nothing worked.  Was it some kind of combination of buttons you had to press in last year's game?

So, you don't even know how to steal a base, but you are ready to proclaim
the base running system is awful? 

Is it impossible to steal a base at all this year?

Perhaps you might want to wait until you learn how to play the game before
passing judgment.

I have no idea if the games any good.  I haven't played the demo yet as a start. 
But I'm pretty sure if we label everything that you are ignorant about as awful then
there's not going to be a lot of awesome in this world.  And a lot of us are going to
have to change our opinion on sex with girls.