News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2015: The Back To The Future Season  ( 113,043 )

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2015: The Back To The Future Season
« Reply #660 on: July 17, 2015, 10:37:43 AM »
Has there been any news on rehab assignments for Baez & La Stella? Has Mendy been playing 2B for the most part this year, or somewhere else? A Castro trade may be a long shot at this point, but wondering what the non-Herrera 2B options would be if it does happen.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #661 on: July 17, 2015, 10:50:20 AM »
Quote from: R-V on July 17, 2015, 10:37:43 AM
Has there been any news on rehab assignments for Baez & La Stella? Has Mendy been playing 2B for the most part this year, or somewhere else? A Castro trade may be a long shot at this point, but wondering what the non-Herrera 2B options would be if it does happen.

Javy was cleared to swing a bat on July 10th

QuoteINF Tommy La Stella appeared in only two games for the Cubs before sustaining a right oblique injury. He was moved to the 60-day disabled list last week and doesn't seem likely to be back anytime soon.
That was from an article dated 7-16: http://www.4029tv.com/sports/whos-hurting-health-status-of-all-30-mlb-teams/34197506

Mendy has 49 games at 2B. 44 games in the OF. 9 games at 3B/SS.

I think beyond those guys, there's no one that's close enough to matter

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #662 on: July 17, 2015, 10:54:43 AM »

Phil Rogers says Javy is actually close to a rehab assignment. So he's probably dead.

As for Mendy, he's not been very good at Iowa, and even at one point when he was batting over .300 down there they still didn't recall him. Sahadev hinted on twitter awhile ago that it's possible Theo and Co aren't really high on him as a prospect.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #663 on: July 17, 2015, 11:29:18 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 17, 2015, 10:54:43 AM

Phil Rogers says Javy is actually close to a rehab assignment. So he's probably dead.

As for Mendy, he's not been very good at Iowa, and even at one point when he was batting over .300 down there they still didn't recall him. Sahadev hinted on twitter awhile ago that it's possible Theo and Co aren't really high on him as a prospect.

No wonder. Very scandalous to suggest that Theo and Jed aren't impressed by poor offensive performance. The blindest of blind items. The coyest of coy.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #664 on: July 17, 2015, 11:32:32 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 17, 2015, 11:29:18 AM

No wonder. Very scandalous to suggest that Theo and Jed aren't impressed by poor offensive performance. The blindest of blind items. The coyest of coy.

Well at the time Sahedev said that Mendy was hitting well at Iowa and people were asking why he wasn't up and why Herrera wasn't unemployed. At the time it was a valid question because Mendy was hitting well, the last month or so the question has kinda answered itself.

Edited to include this:

I mean the question was asked sometime around then. It was pretty hard to understand at that point why Mendy wasn't back up while Herrara was getting spot starts against the Nationals and stuff, so it wasn't exactly obvious that "he's not hitting well and duh that's why."
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #665 on: July 17, 2015, 11:56:42 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 17, 2015, 11:32:32 AM

Well at the time Sahedev said that Mendy was hitting well at Iowa and people were asking why he wasn't up and why Herrera wasn't unemployed. At the time it was a valid question because Mendy was hitting well, the last month or so the question has kinda answered itself.

Edited to include this:

I mean the question was asked sometime around then. It was pretty hard to understand at that point why Mendy wasn't back up while Herrara was getting spot starts against the Nationals and stuff, so it wasn't exactly obvious that "he's not hitting well and duh that's why."

We already have the awful performance in MLB. And at no point this season in Iowa has his cumulative line translated well to MLB. And even that is buoyed by the offense-leaning PCL. Still don't think it was anywhere close to being the kind of thing that needed explaining or "hinting" at. Are you tilting at those random hive mind Twittiot windmills that MUST be responded to again?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #666 on: July 17, 2015, 12:12:44 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 17, 2015, 11:56:42 AM

Edited to include this:

We already have the awful performance in MLB. And at no point this season in Iowa has his cumulative line translated well to MLB. And even that is buoyed by the offense-leaning PCL. Still don't think it was anywhere close to being the kind of thing that needed explaining or "hinting" at. Are you tilting at those random hive mind Twittiot windmills that MUST be responded to again?

I laughed. Sterling, take the rest of the week off.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #667 on: July 17, 2015, 12:30:58 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on July 17, 2015, 12:12:44 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 17, 2015, 11:56:42 AM

Edited to include this:

I laughed. Sterling, take the rest of the week off.

That was pretty funny.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #668 on: July 24, 2015, 07:34:39 PM »
Time for some spleen venting following a terrible loss, albeit one that was kind of predictable given how much BABIP luck Motte has had lately - he's given up a shitpile of hard hit outs in his last 2 or 3 saves and on a hot, windy day like today it's not surprising some of those rockets finally fell in.

I had this extremely arbitrary hope in my head that Rizzo & Bryant would both be 6 WAR players and hit 35+ dongs this season. I'm kind of butthurt that it's not going to happen.

I was also thinking 25-30 bombs for Soler. I'm kind of shellshocked that he's somehow only hit 5 this year and (not racist) worried that we've got another Cespedes on our hands whose production never really matches his tools.

Finally, I've got this terrible feeling in my gut that Theo & Jed have put together a team full of guys who have amazing strike zone judgment, but it's not going to give them any long-term competitive advantage because the vast majority of umpires are calling anything above the shoe tops as a strike.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #669 on: July 24, 2015, 08:36:40 PM »
Quote from: R-V on July 24, 2015, 07:34:39 PM
Time for some spleen venting following a terrible loss, albeit one that was kind of predictable given how much BABIP luck Motte has had lately - he's given up a shitpile of hard hit outs in his last 2 or 3 saves and on a hot, windy day like today it's not surprising some of those rockets finally fell in.

I had this extremely arbitrary hope in my head that Rizzo & Bryant would both be 6 WAR players and hit 35+ dongs this season. I'm kind of butthurt that it's not going to happen.

I was also thinking 25-30 bombs for Soler. I'm kind of shellshocked that he's somehow only hit 5 this year and (not racist) worried that we've got another Cespedes on our hands whose production never really matches

Finally, I've got this terrible feeling in my gut that Theo & Jed have put together a team full of guys who have amazing strike zone judgment, but it's not going to give them any long-term competitive advantage because the vast majority of umpires are calling anything above the shoe tops as a strike.

A moral victory!
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #670 on: July 24, 2015, 10:20:17 PM »

I was also thinking 25-30 bombs for Soler. I'm kind of shellshocked that he's somehow only hit 5 this year and (not racist) worried that we've got another Cespedes on our hands whose production never really matches his tools.

I think we may have finally done the impossible and found an actual use for Google Glass. Enhanced Strike Zone Vision for Umpires. Tie it in to the PitchFX/Sportview cameras and have the home plate umpire wear one to help him call balls and strikes because my bullshit tolerance has reached its limit. DO SOMETHING, MANFRED

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #671 on: July 26, 2015, 02:47:48 PM »

I would kill for Soler to have Cespedes numbers at this point. As of right now he can't hit for average or power, he doesn't walk, he strikes out in a third of his ABs, and he's a terrible defender in right.  Please,  Christ,  give me Cespedes numbers from him.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #672 on: July 27, 2015, 12:22:35 PM »
Cubs offensive WAR ranks by position:

C: 28th
1B: 2nd
2B: 28th
SS: 14th
3B: 13th
OF: 26th

C: 12th
1B: 4th
2B: 24th
SS: 30th
3B: 6th
OF: 22nd

So good progress at C and 3B, and slight improvements at 2B & OF have been almost completely offset by a complete nosedive at SS.

I really think they need to pursue a legit star-level outfielder this offseason - or by all means, go grab Carlos Gomez this week.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #673 on: July 29, 2015, 12:21:53 PM »
Tommy La Stella is not dead. He's headed to AA to begin rehab.

(waits for Fork joke...)
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #674 on: August 02, 2015, 05:06:07 PM »
Ten over for the first time this year, back in a tie for the wildcard. It's gonna hai