News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2015: The Back To The Future Season  ( 112,975 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2015: The Back To The Future Season
« Reply #690 on: August 04, 2015, 08:57:54 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on August 04, 2015, 08:53:24 AM
Quote from: Eli on August 04, 2015, 08:45:29 AM
Quote from: PANK! on August 04, 2015, 08:37:05 AM
Quote from: Eli on August 04, 2015, 08:19:59 AM
Quote from: SKO on August 04, 2015, 08:14:22 AM
So is Joe doing the "look at this shit you gave me to work with?" thing with Soriano that he did with Schlitter and Coke? Is he trying to get the front office to admit defeat and cut the guy? That's got to be it, right? There's no way he actually thinks that guy can be useful, is there?

Probably. The front office is great and they need to have more of a process than us lazy fans on the couch BUT I do think they're sometimes slow to admit mistakes. It seems pretty obvious that Soriano has nothing left in the tank (he didn't last year either). Why are they still messing around with him?

5 games indicates they're too slow to admit a mistake?   I think it was fair to give him more than 5 appearances to see if maybe his arm needed to wake up.  Last night was his 6th appearance and if they DFA him now I find it hard to assert that they took too long to make the decision.

On the other hand If they don't DFA him now I might be inclined to your line of thinking but I just don't see how 2.5 weeks is slow to admit a mistake.  

That's all fair. I was probably being a bit pre-emptive in that I'd be surprised if he was shipped off anytime in the next few weeks.

Last night seemed like the perfect use for Soriano, I thought.

I don't think they should just punt on a game because their starter was removed for a rain delay. That's why Travis Wood exists and they brought him in once Soriano predictably shat the tub, anyway. Not sure why they wouldn't do what they can to use the better half of the pen and win that game, since you hopefully plan on Arrieta going 7 or 8 the next night.

It didn't seem like much at the time but that Neil Ramirez injury has really caused quite the ripple effect on the season. It led to several winnable games being lost early in the season thanks to guys like Schlitter, and now it's led to trying to make this Soriano thing work. Would be awesome if Carl Edwards, Jr. would stop walking everybody at Iowa so he could come up and use that curveball to drink the blood of the nonbelievers.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #691 on: August 04, 2015, 09:05:29 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 04, 2015, 08:57:54 AM
So is Joe doing the "look at this shit you gave me to work with?" thing with Soriano that he did with Schlitter and Coke? Is he trying to get the front office to admit defeat and cut the guy? That's got to be it, right? There's no way he actually thinks that guy can be useful, is there?

Probably. The front office is great and they need to have more of a process than us lazy fans on the couch BUT I do think they're sometimes slow to admit mistakes. It seems pretty obvious that Soriano has nothing left in the tank (he didn't last year either). Why are they still messing around with him?

5 games indicates they're too slow to admit a mistake?   I think it was fair to give him more than 5 appearances to see if maybe his arm needed to wake up.  Last night was his 6th appearance and if they DFA him now I find it hard to assert that they took too long to make the decision.

On the other hand If they don't DFA him now I might be inclined to your line of thinking but I just don't see how 2.5 weeks is slow to admit a mistake.  

That's all fair. I was probably being a bit pre-emptive in that I'd be surprised if he was shipped off anytime in the next few weeks.

I don't think they should just punt on a game because their starter was removed for a rain delay. That's why Travis Wood exists and they brought him in once Soriano predictably shat the tub, anyway. Not sure why they wouldn't do what they can to use the better half of the pen and win that game, since you hopefully plan on Arrieta going 7 or 8 the next night.

It didn't seem like much at the time but that Neil Ramirez injury has really caused quite the ripple effect on the season. It led to several winnable games being lost early in the season thanks to guys like Schlitter, and now it's led to trying to make this Soriano thing work. Would be awesome if Carl Edwards, Jr. would stop walking everybody at Iowa so he could come up and use that curveball to drink the blood of the nonbelievers.

I wouldn't call it punting the game. There was a small window to get that thing in and it was slightly risky sending anybody other than your shittiest reliever and your long man out in it. If it doesn't work out and you end up playing the game well... that's what Travis Wood is for.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I did not see one second of the game. The cable isn't on at my spot yet.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #692 on: August 04, 2015, 09:16:35 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on August 04, 2015, 09:05:29 AM

I wouldn't call it punting the game. There was a small window to get that thing in and it was slightly risky sending anybody other than your shittiest reliever and your long man out in it. If it doesn't work out and you end up playing the game well... that's what Travis Wood is for.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I did not see one second of the game. The cable isn't on at my spot yet.

I get what you're saying, my approach would be the opposite, honestly. I'd bank on that game getting rained out after 5 and do my best to win it before then. Use your pen in reverse. Run out Strop and Rondon and try to keep the Pirates off the board, put in Schwarber and try to drive one or two in before 5 innings are up. If you have to play a full game, well, use Travis Wood for the last 3-4 innings and hope he can hang on. Then you hope Arrieta goes his usual 7+ innings of ass kicking and you can get out of tonight using just Rondon, maybe.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #693 on: August 04, 2015, 09:22:55 AM »

Hunter was a pretty nice pickup, especially since he only cost Junior Lake. Watching him throw that upper-90s gas makes me wonder how in the world he doesn't have a K/9 higher than 6.4 this year.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #694 on: August 04, 2015, 09:26:48 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on August 04, 2015, 09:22:55 AM

Hunter was a pretty nice pickup, especially since he only cost Junior Lake. Watching him throw that upper-90s gas makes me wonder how in the world he doesn't have a K/9 higher than 6.4 this year.

INTREPID READER JASON MOTTE:

I bet I know.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #695 on: August 04, 2015, 03:02:58 PM »
Even a lineup with David Ross in it can make NORTHWESTERN ALUM* J.A. Happ sorry he ever picked up a baseball, right?

* We're still clinging tight to the Joe Girardi/Mark Loretta/Bo Schultz/George Kontos eras. All those memories of all those College World Series non-appearances. We are amazingly good at baseball. And sports. And maybe unionizing them.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #696 on: August 04, 2015, 03:05:27 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on August 04, 2015, 03:02:58 PM
Even a lineup with David Ross in it can make NORTHWESTERN ALUM* J.A. Happ sorry he ever picked up a baseball, right?

* We're still clinging tight to the Joe Girardi/Mark Loretta/Bo Schultz/George Kontos eras. All those memories of all those College World Series non-appearances. We are amazingly good at baseball. And sports. And maybe unionizing them.

Don't do this.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #697 on: August 04, 2015, 03:33:24 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on August 04, 2015, 03:05:27 PM
Don't do this.

The point was, let's ruin J.A. Happ.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #698 on: August 04, 2015, 06:26:41 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on August 04, 2015, 03:33:24 PM
Don't do this.

The point should be Russell should be batting 6th or 7th when the human firebarn is catching, and the firebarn should hit 9th.

Also, Castro can just get hit by a bus.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #699 on: August 04, 2015, 07:54:07 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on August 04, 2015, 06:26:41 PM
Don't do this.

The point should be Russell should be batting 6th or 7th when the human firebarn is catching, and the firebarn should hit 9th.

Very productive.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #700 on: August 04, 2015, 07:54:43 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on August 04, 2015, 06:26:41 PM
Don't do this.

Quite apart from whether or not you agree with the concept of batting the pitcher eighth, you clearly don't understand the rationale behind the Cubs doing it.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #701 on: August 04, 2015, 07:56:52 PM »

Based on his history with Soriano, I'd guess Joe would be the one who give him the benefit of the doubt more than the front office would.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #702 on: August 07, 2015, 12:18:48 PM »
Coghlan at second today, Schwarber in left. Starlin on the bench. Let's get weird, fellas.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #703 on: August 07, 2015, 01:08:23 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 07, 2015, 12:18:48 PM
Coghlan at second today, Schwarber in left. Starlin on the bench. Let's get weird, fellas.

When does Maddon give us a lefty-throwing catcher? Seems more like a matter of when than if.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #704 on: August 07, 2015, 06:20:58 PM »
Hell yeah