News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2015: The Back To The Future Season  ( 112,984 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2015: The Back To The Future Season
« Reply #705 on: August 08, 2015, 11:09:36 PM »
I've been to two of the last three games and I'm probably going tomorrow and let me tell you this season is giving me some feelings.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #706 on: August 09, 2015, 01:53:19 AM »
Had a convo yesterday with a a friend of mine (we used to cut school together to go to games), and he offered an interesting take about this team...

He thought that whatever happens this season, Cub fans can be in a very Zen place. Even if there were to be a Bartman redux. He thought it was because if somehow they go down in flames this season there could be a calming belief that this wasn't going to be our one and only chance.

I told him that there was no way in Hell Chicago sports fans could be in a Zen place about anything, it's pretty goddamn clear that watching this aggregate of very yound and very good Cubs could only lead to one assumption.

It's not a matter of if, only a matter of when. We're looking at the main bunch of guys who are winning a World Series.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #707 on: August 09, 2015, 08:17:52 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on August 09, 2015, 01:53:19 AM
He thought that whatever happens this season, Cub fans can be in a very Zen place. Even if there were to be a Bartman redux. He thought it was because if somehow they go down in flames this season there could be a calming belief that this wasn't going to be our one and only chance.

When Bartman happened, the team was built around extremely young, extremely good pitching. No one thought that would be their "one and only chance" either. You can look back at their roster now in hindsight and argue otherwise, but everyone thought that rotation was going to be the foundation of a long run of sustained success. It's a nice sentiment by your friend, but you had it right -- Zen-ness has a way of disappearing in big moments (which is fine, because sports).

If anyone does feel more Zen now than they did back then, it's only because Theo and Co. are way better at PR than Hendry was and they've been setting up a public narrative for years now.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #708 on: August 09, 2015, 08:41:46 AM »
Quote from: Eli on August 09, 2015, 08:17:52 AM

When Bartman happened, the team was built around extremely young, extremely good pitching. No one thought that would be their "one and only chance" either. You can look back at their roster now in hindsight and argue otherwise, but everyone thought that rotation was going to be the foundation of a long run of sustained success. It's a nice sentiment by your friend, but you had it right -- Zen-ness has a way of disappearing in big moments (which is fine, because sports).

If anyone does feel more Zen now than they did back then, it's only because Theo and Co. are way better at PR than Hendry was and they've been setting up a public narrative for years now.

Come on man, seriously? The ONLY reason one might feel more confident about the 2015 Cubs long-term prospects than the 2003 Cubs long-term prospects is because Theo Goebbels is a PR genius? Not because he's got a track record of building a sustained winner elsewhere, and Hendry didn't? Not because he's built a stable of prospects that Hendry never did?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #709 on: August 09, 2015, 08:48:11 AM »
Quote from: R-V on August 09, 2015, 08:41:46 AM

Come on man, seriously? The ONLY reason one might feel more confident about the 2015 Cubs long-term prospects than the 2003 Cubs long-term prospects is because Theo Goebbels is a PR genius? Not because he's got a track record of building a sustained winner elsewhere, and Hendry didn't? Not because he's built a stable of prospects that Hendry never did?

I'm mostly saying that the outlook was pretty rosy even after Bartman happened, too. And people still lost their minds over every little foible.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #710 on: August 09, 2015, 09:24:19 AM »
Quote from: Eli on August 09, 2015, 08:48:11 AM

I'm mostly saying that the outlook was pretty rosy even after Bartman happened, too. And people still lost their minds over every little foible.

However, the 03 Cubs was for most of us (the 30 somethings) our first foray into real Cubs heartbreak. The older guys here knew it in 69 and 84. We only really had heard about those. 03 and to maybe a greater extent, 08, broke me down pretty good.

But I was younger then. Now I know better. These Cubs aren't relying on a couple of power arms to carry them through a decade. They're set up way better than those teams were.

I defnitely do not agree with Fork that it's a matter of when not if. Winning a Series still comes down to more than just talent.

I'll never be surprised when things go wrong because that's how I've been conditioned as a Cubs fan. Fuck zen. In the ninth inning yesterday as Motte and Russell shat the mound I was fearing the absolute worst. It'll never change.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #711 on: August 09, 2015, 10:08:51 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 09, 2015, 09:24:19 AM
Quote from: Eli on August 09, 2015, 08:48:11 AM

However, the 03 Cubs was for most of us (the 30 somethings) our first foray into real Cubs heartbreak. The older guys here knew it in 69 and 84. We only really had heard about those. 03 and to maybe a greater extent, 08, broke me down pretty good.

But I was younger then. Now I know better. These Cubs aren't relying on a couple of power arms to carry them through a decade. They're set up way better than those teams were.

I defnitely do not agree with Fork that it's a matter of when not if. Winning a Series still comes down to more than just talent.

I'll never be surprised when things go wrong because that's how I've been conditioned as a Cubs fan. Fuck zen. In the ninth inning yesterday as Motte and Russell shat the mound I was fearing the absolute worst. It'll never change.
There was a time when I would get tied up in knots over a ninth inning like yesterday's.  But I guess I have entered a zone of zen.  "Come on Jake.  It's Wrigley."  Ought to start a thread with that in the subject line.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #712 on: August 09, 2015, 10:28:09 AM »
This team is good enough to win a world series and should have have chance to do so. If they don't win it it'll be a disappointment. Sure I'll be as excited if not more so next year than I've ever been,  but you're guaranteed nothing. If you get that close it blows not to finish the deal and it'll never not blow.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #713 on: August 09, 2015, 10:39:27 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 09, 2015, 09:24:19 AM

Mostly this. It feels dramatic and badass to be all "when not if," but it ignores the entire issue of luck. And the fact that the Cubs aren't the only team in baseball -- they have to deal with the Cardinals, Pirates, Astros and Dodgers, who have an equal (or better) amount of young talent plus an endless supply of money.

That's not to say the Cubs don't have an excellent shot at a World Series in the next 0-6 years. But if they blow a chance this year or next and people act like it's no big deal, that's going to be annoying and I'm going to totally subtweet them.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #714 on: August 09, 2015, 04:40:31 PM »
Holy shit. Man I forgot how strangely good it feels to have your heart literally pounding over a baseball game.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #715 on: August 09, 2015, 04:41:04 PM »
SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP

Time to remind my Giants fan coworkers how much shit they talked about this series all week.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #716 on: August 09, 2015, 04:44:53 PM »

What a nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #717 on: August 09, 2015, 05:09:57 PM »
DPD:

Right now I kind of feel like I do after a Hawks Sunday afternoon matinee win. Give me the appropriate 30 minute refractory period and lets go again.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #718 on: August 09, 2015, 05:13:49 PM »
Quote from: flannj on August 09, 2015, 05:09:57 PM
DPD:

Right now I kind of feel like I do after a Hawks Sunday afternoon matinee win. Give me the appropriate 30 minute refractory period and lets go again.

I'm fairly disappointed tomorrow is an off day.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #719 on: August 09, 2015, 05:22:47 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on August 09, 2015, 05:13:49 PM
Quote from: flannj on August 09, 2015, 05:09:57 PM
DPD:

I'm fairly disappointed tomorrow is an off day.

My heart needs it. So does Hector's arm