News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2015: The Back To The Future Season  ( 112,942 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2015: The Back To The Future Season
« Reply #795 on: August 17, 2015, 06:52:25 AM »
So there's the notion that Schwarber's presence--and subsequent production-- has benefitted Bryant and Soler by taking some of the pressure off them.  I know we're treading on the nebulous "intangibles" discussion here but following the same notion, I'm looking for Baez' return to coincide with Schwarber's cooling off.

Also, though I think it'd make a great story if Castro had big hits in September and beyond, when he does something like drop a throw at second base like he did yesterday I can't help but immediately think it's one more play closer to seeing Baez there.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #796 on: August 17, 2015, 07:25:39 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on August 17, 2015, 06:52:25 AM
So there's the notion that Schwarber's presence--and subsequent production-- has benefitted Bryant and Soler by taking some of the pressure off them.  I know we're treading on the nebulous "intangibles" discussion here but following the same notion, I'm looking for Baez' return to coincide with Schwarber's cooling off.

Also, though I think it'd make a great story if Castro had big hits in September and beyond, when he does something like drop a throw at second base like he did yesterday I can't help but immediately think it's one more play closer to seeing Baez there.

It's possible? But really I just think it's simple positive regression/experience. Bryant hit the wall like all rookies do and had a rough July, figured it out and started hitting again. My guess is he'd be doing it even if Schwarber was in Iowa. Same goes for Jorge. Schwarber's call up just coincided perfectly with when those two (and Rizzo and Fowler) were ready to bust out anyway. This team managed to survive a July where no one hit a fucking thing, and logic dictated that most of them would then go through a phase where they hit everything, and so they have.

Updated to include August stats for these four just because they make me happy:

Bryant: .319/.439/.511/.949
Soler: .326/.415/.413/.828
Rizzo: .362/.466/.702/1.168
Schwarber: .298/.393/.660/1.052.

I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #797 on: August 17, 2015, 08:09:57 AM »
I can't help but immediately think it's one more play closer to seeing Baez there.

Probably true, but while Baez is OPSing an even .800 since returning to AAA from his injury, he's in a funk again. Last 10 games: .200/.293/.286/.578. 9:5 K:BB.  Can't see him here until after 9/1, maybe 9/8 the day after the Iowa season ends.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #798 on: August 17, 2015, 08:15:34 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 17, 2015, 08:09:57 AM
I can't help but immediately think it's one more play closer to seeing Baez there.

Probably true, but while Baez is OPSing an even .800 since returning to AAA from his injury, he's in a funk again. Last 10 games: .200/.293/.286/.578. 9:5 K:BB.  Can't see him here until after 9/1, maybe 9/8 the day after the Iowa season ends.

Yeah I don't know how much Baez will help offensively. Probably not enough right away to take over for Coghlan. Could see him being a late inning defensive replacement for Coghlan who cracks a majestic dong.

He also went 2-4 with a walk last night, for what it's worth. I'm also encouraged that while he has been scuffling the last two weeks he hasn't been striking out an ugly amount. If he's just having some BABIP luck or his timing is still off on his swing I find that less upsetting than if he was K'ing 30+ % of the time, which he's not.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #799 on: August 17, 2015, 08:28:45 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 17, 2015, 08:15:34 AM

Yeah I don't know how much Baez will help offensively. Probably not enough right away to take over for Coghlan. Could see him being a late inning defensive replacement for Coghlan who cracks a majestic dong.

He also went 2-4 with a walk last night, for what it's worth. I'm also encouraged that while he has been scuffling the last two weeks he hasn't been striking out an ugly amount. If he's just having some BABIP luck or his timing is still off on his swing I find that less upsetting than if he was K'ing 30+ % of the time, which he's not.

Once he cycles out of it, the timing will be perfect.  By then La Stella will have replaced Coghlan, who will hopefully begin to settle in to his role as a pinch-hitter and and prepare as much as he can for his hopefully pivotal role in the postseason. As far as the right-handed side of that platoon with La Stella is concerned, it would come down to Castro and Baez and I just think by the time September's underway Baez will have overtaken Castro just like Russell did at short.  It's this team's fucking destiny. 

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #800 on: August 17, 2015, 08:39:05 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on August 17, 2015, 08:28:45 AM

Once he cycles out of it, the timing will be perfect.  By then La Stella will have replaced Coghlan, who will hopefully begin to settle in to his role as a pinch-hitter and and prepare as much as he can for his hopefully pivotal role in the postseason. As far as the right-handed side of that platoon with La Stella is concerned, it would come down to Castro and Baez and I just think by the time September's underway Baez will have overtaken Castro just like Russell did at short.  It's this team's fucking destiny. 

Is Baez going to get that many at-bats as one half of the right side of a platoon to prove he's ready to take on a larger role?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #801 on: August 17, 2015, 08:42:13 AM »
Quote from: Tony on August 17, 2015, 08:39:05 AM
Quote from: PANK! on August 17, 2015, 08:28:45 AM

Is Baez going to get that many at-bats as one half of the right side of a platoon to prove he's ready to take on a larger role?

Knowing Maddon, he may slide Baez to third base from time to time, give Bryant a breather, and also get Javy some AB's against righties.  I guess if you're talking strict platoon, then la Stella would be getting more of the at-bats, including the postseason so that's a good point I hadn't really considered.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #802 on: August 17, 2015, 08:45:37 AM »
Also I hadn't realized La Stella's only played 1 season and didn't fare that well.  He kinda sucks.  Why have I been waiting all year for this guy again?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #803 on: August 17, 2015, 08:48:51 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on August 17, 2015, 08:45:37 AM
Also I hadn't realized La Stella's only played 1 season and didn't fare that well.  He kinda sucks.  Why have I been waiting all year for this guy again?

Also is he aiming to set some sort of record for longest minor league rehab stint? I feel like he's been down there for a month.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #804 on: August 17, 2015, 08:50:13 AM »

I thought he was a fictional character. He's real?

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #805 on: August 17, 2015, 08:52:37 AM »
Quote from: R-V on August 17, 2015, 08:48:51 AM

Also is he aiming to set some sort of record for longest minor league rehab stint? I feel like he's been down there for a month.
To be fair, he did actually die for a while there. Give him time.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #806 on: August 17, 2015, 08:55:20 AM »

Because for a while there the Cubs were starting Johnny Buckets on a semi-regular basis, and their top pinch hitter was Mike Baxter. It's like when you watch Jonathan Quinn and Craig Krenzel and Chad Hutchinson for 13 games and convince yourself that Rex Grossman is your savior.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #807 on: August 17, 2015, 08:56:26 AM »

There isn't a way to give him regular playing time at the major league level and it's still unclear if he would be an actual improvement over anyone currently up here. So playing every day in Iowa is probably the best way for him to develop and be evaluated for his role next year. So I agree that's where he'll stay for another few weeks.

On a secondary level, that approach probably also keeps his trade value at its highest juuust in case that's needed this offseason.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #808 on: August 17, 2015, 08:59:04 AM »
Quote from: Eli on August 17, 2015, 08:56:26 AM

There isn't a way to give him regular playing time at the major league level and it's still unclear if he would be an actual improvement over anyone currently up here. So playing every day in Iowa is probably the best way for him to develop and be evaluated for his role next year. So I agree that's where he'll stay for another few weeks.

On a secondary level, that approach probably also keeps his trade value at its highest juuust in case that's needed this offseason.

Yup. They'll call him up in September, they'll be very picky about the matchups he gets, and he'll earn playing time if he hits. They absolutely will not throw him out there every day right off the bat because if he gets exposed again like last year that's it for his value.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #809 on: August 17, 2015, 08:59:21 AM »
Quote from: Eli on August 17, 2015, 08:56:26 AM

Exactly. He's just not going to play much. Castro barely plays now.