News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs Offseason 2014: So, what did your team do this offseason? Isn't that cute.  ( 67,893 )

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Fork on January 05, 2015, 08:39:07 AM
Quote from: SKO on January 05, 2015, 08:28:51 AM
Quote from: Eli on January 05, 2015, 08:20:23 AM
Nick Cafardo, who is generally a legitimate reporter, has the Cubs interested in Zobrist and Shields.

Quote3. Ben Zobrist, 2B/RF, Rays — Zobrist, 33, has one of the biggest trade markets out there. The super utilityman is being pursued seriously by the Giants, Nationals, Angels, and Cubs. The Rays recently acquired Asdrubal Cabrera on a one-year deal, sparking further speculation that Zobrist might be on the move. The Rays are said to be asking for at least one top prospect and a mid-level one.

QuoteJames Shields, RHP, free agent — It hasn't been easy to determine Shields's market. Jon Lester's negotiations were so public, yet Shields's have been private. Still, the teams who have had discussions or shown interest, according to a major league source, are the Red Sox, Cubs, Angels, Dodgers, Rangers, Blue Jays, and Giants.

I don't really see Shields happening, but Zobrist would be awesome.

Zobrist would be a great move. More than capable of being a quality OF if things work out in the IF with Javy and Bryant, but able to take over at 2nd or 3rd if needed.

I'd want Shields mostly for the fact that the Cubs would have one of the best rotations in the NL for sure with him on board, but also because I'd love to see Gordo try to spin how the Ricketts are still broke as shit since he went with "the Lester contract was every dime they had saved for three years and now they're tapped angle."

Zobrist could also mean a competent backup for Rizzo.

True, but I wouldn't be willing to trade much for one year of Zobrist. There are contending teams who need him to start at one spot that ought to easily outbid the Cubs for his services now. Maybe next year.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Nick Cafardo, who is generally a legitimate reporter, has the Cubs interested in Zobrist and Shields.

Quote3. Ben Zobrist, 2B/RF, Rays — Zobrist, 33, has one of the biggest trade markets out there. The super utilityman is being pursued seriously by the Giants, Nationals, Angels, and Cubs. The Rays recently acquired Asdrubal Cabrera on a one-year deal, sparking further speculation that Zobrist might be on the move. The Rays are said to be asking for at least one top prospect and a mid-level one.

QuoteJames Shields, RHP, free agent — It hasn't been easy to determine Shields's market. Jon Lester's negotiations were so public, yet Shields's have been private. Still, the teams who have had discussions or shown interest, according to a major league source, are the Red Sox, Cubs, Angels, Dodgers, Rangers, Blue Jays, and Giants.

Zobrist would be a great move. More than capable of being a quality OF if things work out in the IF with Javy and Bryant, but able to take over at 2nd or 3rd if needed.

I'd want Shields mostly for the fact that the Cubs would have one of the best rotations in the NL for sure with him on board, but also because I'd love to see Gordo try to spin how the Ricketts are still broke as shit since he went with "the Lester contract was every dime they had saved for three years and now they're tapped angle."

The whole tapped angle?
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Tonker on January 05, 2015, 09:21:45 AM

The whole tapped angle?

The Whole Tapped Angle had a few hits back in my day.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on January 05, 2015, 09:30:22 AM

The whole tapped angle?

CHINESE FOOD MAKES ME SICK
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Fork on January 05, 2015, 10:39:20 AM

The whole tapped angle?

AND I WANNA TRADE ALL MY PROSPECTS TO TAMPA FOR ZOBRIST
HE'S THE DOPEST!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: InternetApex on January 05, 2015, 11:08:40 AM

The whole tapped angle?

HE'S THE DOPEST!

What is fair compensation for Zobrist? I don't think anyone's going to be giving up an A prospect for him given the one year deal/age, but I think the Cubs probably have better B level prospects to offer for him than just about anybody. Would depend on what Tampa is looking for but definitely wouldn't mind a guy like Vogelbach or something for Zobrist.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on January 05, 2015, 11:20:16 AM

The whole tapped angle?

HE'S THE DOPEST!

What is fair compensation for Zobrist? I don't think anyone's going to be giving up an A prospect for him given the one year deal/age, but I think the Cubs probably have better B level prospects to offer for him than just about anybody. Would depend on what Tampa is looking for but definitely wouldn't mind a guy like Vogelbach or something for Zobrist.

I have a feeling that no one is ever going to trade for Vogelbach. 
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PenFoe on January 05, 2015, 11:25:30 AM

The whole tapped angle?

HE'S THE DOPEST!

Why? He has raw power coming out of his big, fat ass and has a really good to great hitting tool.  And, he's 22 years old.

Also, The Cubs' 11-20 ranked prospects would probably end up on many teams' top 10.  The Cubs can go out and get whomever they want without touching the prospect core.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Oleg on January 05, 2015, 11:31:56 AM

The whole tapped angle?

HE'S THE DOPEST!

Why? He has raw power coming out of his big, fat ass and has a really good to great hitting tool.  And, he's 22 years old.

Also, The Cubs' 11-20 ranked prospects would probably end up on many teams' top 10.  The Cubs can go out and get whomever they want without touching the prospect core.

I'm fine with trading something that looks like Vogelbach for one year of Ben Zobrist.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: InternetApex on January 05, 2015, 11:40:21 AM

The whole tapped angle?

HE'S THE DOPEST!

I'm fine with trading something that looks like Vogelbach for one year of Ben Zobrist.

On the other hand, he hasn't reached AA yet.  It would probably take a bit more.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

The whole tapped angle?

HE'S THE DOPEST!

I just get the feeling that Vogelbach is due to be the guy who we talk about forever.  No hate there.

Also - any chance that they can *just* flip Castillo for Zobrist?  Seems like Tampa doesn't have much at catcher, unless I'm misremembering.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

I think people just assume he has power because he's fat. None of that has really translated to in-game power. And he absolutely has to be a DH since his defense is so bad, so he will have to hit a TON, which he hasn't done in two years.

Having to repeat high-A ball at 21 and losing 100 OPS points from your first go-round isn't a good sign. I think there's a decent chance he doesn't ever get more than a few hundred at-bats in the majors, if he ever even gets there.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PenFoe on January 05, 2015, 11:44:44 AM

The whole tapped angle?

HE'S THE DOPEST!

Why? He has raw power coming out of his big, fat ass and has a really good to great hitting tool.  And, he's 22 years old.

Also, The Cubs' 11-20 ranked prospects would probably end up on many teams' top 10.  The Cubs can go out and get whomever they want without touching the prospect core.

I just get the feeling that Vogelbach is due to be the guy who we talk about forever.  No hate there.

Also - any chance that they can *just* flip Castillo for Zobrist?  Seems like Tampa doesn't have much at catcher, unless I'm misremembering.

I think they have one of the Molinas, who's is only slightly younger than Pujol's grandson.  I'm sure that's not nearly enough.

Quote from: Eli on January 05, 2015, 11:45:19 AM
Why? He has raw power coming out of his big, fat ass and has a really good to great hitting tool.  And, he's 22 years old.

I think people just assume he has power because he's fat. None of that has really translated to in-game power. And he absolutely has to be a DH since his defense is so bad, so he will have to hit a TON, which he hasn't done in two years.

Having to repeat high-A ball at 21 and losing 100 OPS points from your first go-round isn't a good sign. I think there's a decent chance he doesn't ever get more than a few hundred at-bats in the majors, if he ever even gets there.

I don't think a 429 SLG in the FSL is anything to sneeze at.  He'll be at AA this year, so let's see how it plays out?  BP seems to like him a lot (they give him a realistic role of a major league regular as The Cubs #9 prospect).

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Oleg on January 05, 2015, 11:50:15 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on January 05, 2015, 11:44:44 AM

The whole tapped angle?

HE'S THE DOPEST!

I think they have one of the Molina's, who's is only slightly younger than Pujol's grandson.  I'm sure that's not nearly enough.

I don't think a 429 SLG in the FSL is anything to sneeze at.  He'll be at AA this year, so let's see how it plays out?  BP seems to like him a lot (they give him a realistic role of a major league regular as The Cubs #9 prospect).

Make it happen, Theo.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

I had the same thought, but then I noticed that his first go round was, like, four ABs, so I stopped hyperventilating and remembered that he's only just turned 22.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.