News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs Offseason 2014: So, what did your team do this offseason? Isn't that cute.  ( 67,900 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
How much do people think Zimmerman will cost? I might want to go that route
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on February 10, 2015, 11:07:01 AM

I'd guess he'd cost less than Price, partially just based on name recognition and his more checkered injury history (TJS). I'd imagine his value is heavily dependent on if he can repeat 2014.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on February 10, 2015, 09:46:26 AM
I'm not ready to trade for Hamels now. I'd like to see 3 months of Soler, Bryant, Baez and even MiLB Russell. I want to know the offense is what we expect before I'd commit to a trade of a top prospect for pitching.  If those 4 guys don't pan out, Hamels won't get you there.

That said, if the market for Hamels pops now (i.e. the Cards are going to get him in May), I go get him.

I wait if I can set the timetable.  If I can't, I made a deal.  I don't really think the need for Hamels in 2015 is as great as it will be in 2016.

But I think you might want to make your move while Ruben Amaro's still answering the phones there.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on February 10, 2015, 11:16:11 AM

I'd guess he'd cost less than Price, partially just based on name recognition and his more checkered injury history (TJS). I'd imagine his value is heavily dependent on if he can repeat 2014.

Yeah. His 2013 didn't look bad, either. He's intriguing. Also as much as we joke about it I'm not really sure that bringing back Snork (if he's amenable to it) is a bad idea. He'd be younger than Hamels, and despite being older than Zimmerman and Price, I believe, he's also got fewer than 800 innings of wear and tear on his arm.

Suffice it to say there are enough options that I'd hesitate to give up a player of Addison's caliber just yet, but, like Chuck said, it could be worth going after Hamels if a team like the Cardinals were close to acquiring him instead, especially since they generally lack the cash to go after a guy like Price on the open market.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on February 10, 2015, 11:28:17 AM

Yeah. His 2013 didn't look bad, either. He's intriguing. Also as much as we joke about it I'm not really sure that bringing back Snork (if he's amenable to it) is a bad idea. He'd be younger than Hamels, and despite being older than Zimmerman and Price, I believe, he's also got fewer than 800 innings of wear and tear on his arm.

Suffice it to say there are enough options that I'd hesitate to give up a player of Addison's caliber just yet, but, like Chuck said, it could be worth going after Hamels if a team like the Cardinals were close to acquiring him instead, especially since they generally lack the cash to go after a guy like Price on the open market.

I'm sure it's possible to get Hamels without giving up Russell, but I just put him in there because it was more clear in terms of picturing the cost. Maybe they'd take a Baez-Edwards-McKinney-Castillo (note: I spent 4 seconds thinking about that, so don't get too hung up on who's named) quantity package eventually, but that's tougher to break down value-wise.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on February 10, 2015, 11:44:11 AM

I'm sure it's possible to get Hamels without giving up Russell, but I just put him in there because it was more clear in terms of picturing the cost. Maybe they'd take a Baez-Edwards-McKinney-Castillo (note: I spent 4 seconds thinking about that, so don't get too hung up on who's named) quantity package eventually, but that's tougher to break down value-wise.

I think that's why the best case scenario right now is for Hamels to start the season with the Phillies. By July the Cubs will have some things clarified. If Baez still looks like the guy he did after his callup last year, they should probably hang onto Addison regardless. If Baez is hitting well, then the Phillies may take him and some others in a trade, or it makes the decision to get rid of Russell easier.

There's always the possibility of both Russell and Baez scuffling to start the season but I think even with a half-season of minor league struggles Russell wouldn't lose much of his standing as a top trade piece.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on February 10, 2015, 11:47:04 AM

I think that's why the best case scenario right now is for Hamels to start the season with the Phillies. By July the Cubs will have some things clarified. If Baez still looks like the guy he did after his callup last year, they should probably hang onto Addison regardless. If Baez is hitting well, then the Phillies may take him and some others in a trade, or it makes the decision to get rid of Russell easier.

There's always the possibility of both Russell and Baez scuffling to start the season but I think even with a half-season of minor league struggles Russell wouldn't lose much of his standing as a top trade piece.
If there is a team out there that wants Baez and has anything at all to offer I can't see a reason for not jumping at it.  Baez Is like the Cub players whom I watched while growing up and marching into old age.  Great power when there is no one on base, low BA, high K rate, rally killer. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: CBStew on February 10, 2015, 12:41:27 PM

If there is a team out there that wants Baez and has anything at all to offer I can't see a reason for not jumping at it.  Baez Is like the Cub players whom I watched while growing up and marching into old age.  Great power when there is no one on base, low BA, high K rate, rally killer.  

I can understand why you'd devalue Baez. When you say, "anything at all" how low an asking price are we talking? Midling pitching prospects? Bad contracts? Backup infielders? Back of the rotation starter? Alex Rodriguez?
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
I'm more than a little stunned that this discussion hasn't included Chuck trading Castro at least 5 times.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Fork on February 10, 2015, 01:19:05 PM
I'm more than a little stunned that this discussion hasn't included Chuck trading Castro at least 5 times.

It's increasingly likely I will do that.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: InternetApex on February 10, 2015, 01:06:50 PM

If there is a team out there that wants Baez and has anything at all to offer I can't see a reason for not jumping at it.  Baez Is like the Cub players whom I watched while growing up and marching into old age.  Great power when there is no one on base, low BA, high K rate, rally killer.  

I can understand why you'd devalue Baez. When you say, "anything at all" how low an asking price are we talking? Midling pitching prospects? Bad contracts? Backup infielders? Back of the rotation starter? Alex Rodriguez?

Quite simply put, Baez, even if he is "successful" is going to be a player a lot of people are going to hate. You're not going to be able to convince a lot of older fans especially that a guy who might hit .242 and strike out 180 times in a "good" year is a good player. So I suggest maybe just letting Stew be old and cranky.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on February 10, 2015, 01:51:33 PM

Quite simply put, Baez, even if he is "successful" is going to be a player a lot of people are going to hate. You're not going to be able to convince a lot of older fans especially that a guy who might hit .242 and strike out 180 times in a "good" year is a good player. So I suggest maybe just letting Stew be old and cranky.

Probably the same people who always wanted the Cubs to get Adam Dunn.
TIME TO POST!

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Fork on February 10, 2015, 02:08:23 PM

Adam Dunn was also a big, ugly, smelly minus on defense so those people are still wrong.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: InternetApex on February 10, 2015, 02:10:44 PM
Quote from: Fork on February 10, 2015, 02:08:23 PM

Adam Dunn was also a big, ugly, smelly minus on defense so those people are still wrong.

He also walked a lot, which isn't really Javy's thing

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Tonker on January 19, 2015, 12:23:09 PM
Quote from: Eli on January 19, 2015, 12:04:13 PM
Quote from: Tonker on January 19, 2015, 11:27:22 AM

Oh, so all black guys look alike to you.

"Pierre would arrive early at the Rockies' Spring Training complex every day to work on bunting or coming out of the batter's box after a swing. Coaches couldn't get in early enough to satisfy his desire to work. Teammates couldn't keep up with him.

"Fowler still smiles when reminded of Pierre's story. "That's how I am," Fowler said."

With a career OPB 23 points higher than Pierre's.
TIME TO POST!