News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: CIN, HOU, MIL, PIT, CHC all pisspoor in 2009.  ( 104,575 )

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: CIN, HOU, MIL, PIT, STL all pisspoor in 2009.
« Reply #180 on: June 06, 2009, 10:25:13 AM »
I hated Kent Mercker for his shitty pitching, not for yelling at Chip Caray.  I enjoyed and encouraged that aspect of his personality.

Ah, Franchester...the gift that keeps on giving.  At some point in this series this weekend he'll start the indignant act about how the Cubs and Reds have basically the same record even though the Cubs payroll is twice as much.  Instead of pointing out how cheap his fucking owners are, this will be intended to show how dumb the Cubs are.  And then when the Cubs return to Cincinnati in September and they're 19 games ahead of Dusty's gritty little overachievers, he'll shift the discussion to what fucking assholes Cubs fans are and how the Cubs will get swept in the playoffs again.

If only everyone were so transparent and predictable.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #181 on: June 06, 2009, 10:29:39 AM »
Quote from: Andy on June 06, 2009, 10:25:13 AM
I hated Kent Mercker for his shitty pitching, not for yelling at Chip Caray.  I enjoyed and encouraged that aspect of his personality.

I thought it was Moises Alou who gave Chippy undeserved attention by bitching at him.

Mercker was the one who called up the press box during a game.  Yes, he was a shitty pitcher, but pulling that type of shit makes you a Grade-A douchemobile.  I hope he gets another aneurysm.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #182 on: June 06, 2009, 10:49:44 AM »
Quote from: MAD on June 06, 2009, 10:29:39 AM

I thought it was Moises Alou who gave Chippy undeserved attention by bitching at him.

Mercker was the one who called up the press box during a game.  Yes, he was a shitty pitcher, but pulling that type of shit makes you a Grade-A douchemobile.  I hope he gets another aneurysm.

Wasn't it Mercker who gave Chip shit for bringing his guitar on the charter?
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #183 on: June 06, 2009, 01:25:58 PM »

Who the fuck is Kent Mercker?

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #184 on: June 07, 2009, 07:36:25 AM »
Quote from: Tank on June 06, 2009, 10:49:44 AM

Wasn't it Mercker who gave Chip shit for bringing his guitar on the charter?

He brought his guitar on a charter? I must have forgotten that. I didn't think he could be any less cool, but this is creepy levels of dork. He makes Kurt Evans look like Curtis Mayfield.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #185 on: June 23, 2009, 04:42:57 PM »
I'm not posting this because I'm making fun of it, because I'm not.
I don't think there's anything funny about it. Just that it's relevant to this thread.

Though I would not be at all surprised if one of you funny pricks proves me wrong.

Joey Votto returns to the Reds tonight.

Joey Votto informed the media Tuesday that his month-long stay on the disabled list was a result of severe depression.
Votto lost his father last August and the grief caught up to him this season as he excelled at the plate without his biggest fan. "There were nights that I couldn't be alone," he said. "The one night I was alone - the very first night I was alone - was when I went to the hospital. I couldn't take it. It just got to the point where I felt I was going to die, really."
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #186 on: June 23, 2009, 04:55:42 PM »
I for one can't make fun of Joey or his situation.

I can however say that not everyone would be so upset about the absence of their biggest fan.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #187 on: June 28, 2009, 06:33:34 AM »
We're not going to hear the end of this for a while:

QuoteThe Cleveland Indians traded infielder Mark DeRosa to the St. Louis Cardinals on Saturday night for reliever Chris Perez and a player to be named later.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4292371

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #188 on: June 28, 2009, 07:22:36 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on June 28, 2009, 06:33:34 AM
We're not going to hear the end of this for a while:

QuoteThe Cleveland Indians traded infielder Mark DeRosa to the St. Louis Cardinals on Saturday night for reliever Chris Perez and a player to be named later.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4292371

You're right, we're not.

http://www.desipio.com/messageboard/index.php?topic=6855.msg182778#msg182778
http://www.desipio.com/messageboard/index.php?topic=6862.msg182777#msg182777

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
« Reply #189 on: June 28, 2009, 11:43:02 AM »
I don't understand what the Indians did here. The price for DeRosa was Chris Perez and a PTBNL? Wow, the Cardinals could FedEx a piece of shit and it would be the best part of the deal for Cleveland...

The good news for the Cubs is that the Cardinals can't win the division if Carpenter gets hurt, which is almost a certainty. He's the lynchpin of their pitching staff. Even if he does somehow stay healthy, I don't see them as a 90-win team. Maybe 85 to 87, although if the Cubs and the rest of the NL Central continue to have their heads stuck in their asses 87 wins might be enough to win the division.
Desipio is a free-flowing website that occasionally touches on the immaturity, foolishness and outright stupidity of its readership.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #190 on: June 28, 2009, 11:55:51 AM »
Quote from: BC on June 28, 2009, 11:43:02 AM
I don't understand what the Indians did here. The price for DeRosa was Chris Perez and a PTBNL? Wow, the Cardinals could FedEx a piece of shit and it would be the best part of the deal for Cleveland...

The good news for the Cubs is that the Cardinals can't win the division if Carpenter gets hurt, which is almost a certainty. He's the lynchpin of their pitching staff. Even if he does somehow stay healthy, I don't see them as a 90-win team. Maybe 85 to 87, although if the Cubs and the rest of the NL Central continue to have their heads stuck in their asses 87 wins might be enough to win the division.

Well the pitching staff will fall apart again like it did last year.  It's Carpenter and then a bunch of pitchers that have a little hot streak and then do nothing the rest of the year.  All the Cubs need to do is have one of their shit relievers (Patton, Ass Can, etc.) take one for the team and drill Pujols straight in the dome.  I don't care if they never pitch in the majors again (double bonus?).  It's a plan!

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #191 on: June 28, 2009, 05:24:36 PM »
Quote from: BC on June 28, 2009, 11:43:02 AMHe's the lynchpin of their pitching staff./quote]

Is that an award you get for somehow managing to keep an obscure job with the same organization you tried to run into the ground?

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #192 on: June 30, 2009, 02:01:18 PM »
Pissburgh moving some folks around:

Quote"Pirates acquired RHP Casey Erickson and catcher-outfielder Eric Fryer from the Yankees for OF Eric Hinske and cash.

Erickson, 24 in August, was 3-3 with a 2.25 ERA in 21 games (three starts) for the Yankees' Single-A affiliate in Charleston. He has been assigned to Single-A West Virginia and could eventually reach the bigs as a middle reliever."

And...

Quote"The Pirates have agreed to a trade that will send OF Nyjer Morgan and LHP Sean Burnett to the Nationals for OF Lastings Milledge and RHP Joel Hanrahan.

Burnett and Hanrahan are fine relievers, but the real meat of this trade lies in the two outfielders. Milledge is currently recovering from a broken finger, but is a younger and more promising all-around talent than Morgan, who is batting .277/.351/.356 this season with 27 RBI and 18 stolen bases. The move coincides with the Pirates' ongoing rebuilding efforts."

As discussed in the SBox earlier today, I have no idea what the Nate McLouth trade was about as he was under contract through 2011 and basically WAS the Pirates.  These two moves aren't so bad.  Steven Pearce is the new Hinske on that team, and Hanrahan and Milledge are good returns on Morgan and Burnett.  My question is, WHAT were the Nats thinking?  Nyjer Morgan is a poor man's Juan Pierre.  I can't stand rich man's Juan Pierre.  Then again, these are the Nationals and Pirates--basically MLB's special education equivalent.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #193 on: June 30, 2009, 02:12:01 PM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on June 30, 2009, 02:01:18 PM
As discussed in the SBox earlier today, I have no idea what the Nate McLouth trade was about as he was under contract through 2011 and basically WAS the Pirates.  These two moves aren't so bad.  Steven Pearce is the new Hinske on that team, and Hanrahan and Milledge are good returns on Morgan and Burnett.  My question is, WHAT were the Nats thinking?  Nyjer Morgan is a poor man's Juan Pierre.  I can't stand rich man's Juan Pierre.  Then again, these are the Nationals and Pirates--basically MLB's special education equivalent.

Damn it.  What will this do to Nyjer Morgan's playing time?  He was my first-round pick in NeifiBall this year.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #194 on: June 30, 2009, 02:15:36 PM »
Methinks he'll have a hard time breaking into a rotation that features Adam Dunn, Elijah Dukes, Josh Willingham and Austin Kearns save for late inning defense.  Morgan was hitting .277/.351 with 18 steals, though.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.