News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: CIN, HOU, MIL, PIT, CHC all pisspoor in 2009.  ( 104,596 )

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: CIN, HOU, MIL, PIT, STL all pisspoor in 2009.
« Reply #285 on: July 24, 2009, 10:48:44 AM »
A's/Cards close...

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=3850

Credit to RV with the news in teh SBox...

EDIT:  Sorry, Weebs (and everyone else).  I didn't see you FACED me.  Anyway, there's the link, if you care.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #286 on: July 24, 2009, 11:07:08 AM »

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #287 on: July 24, 2009, 11:21:18 AM »
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #288 on: July 24, 2009, 12:36:46 PM »
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #289 on: July 24, 2009, 12:39:27 PM »
The trade is being booed on the St. Louis paper's comments, for whatever that's worth. However, one goof said it gives themn the best offensive line-up in the league. Whatever.

Personally, unless the Cardinals sign him to an extension, I feel they are selling their soul to the devil in this one. Wallace is a high price to pay for a little over two months of "protection" for Albie. I'd be much more concerned if they had gotten Halladay or another decent starter. Holliday has shown a little offensive resurgence in the past 6-8 weeks, but their pitching will eventually fall back.

Let's see if this pressures the Cubs to do something. If they can.
"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #290 on: July 24, 2009, 12:45:32 PM »
Quote from: Dave B on July 24, 2009, 12:39:27 PM
The trade is being booed on the St. Louis paper's comments, for whatever that's worth. However, one goof said it gives themn the best offensive line-up in the league. Whatever.

Personally, unless the Cardinals sign him to an extension, I feel they are selling their soul to the devil in this one. Wallace is a high price to pay for a little over two months of "protection" for Albie. I'd be much more concerned if they had gotten Halladay or another decent starter. Holliday has shown a little offensive resurgence in the past 6-8 weeks, but their pitching will eventually fall back.

Let's see if this pressures the Cubs to do something. If they can.

This.  It's a good haul for Oakland.  What's St. Louis going to do with 3B now?  Wallace was supposed to inherit the job either late this year or next year and they weren't going to re-sign Glaus.  They probably still won't re-sign him, so what's the answer at third?  DeRosa?  I guess we get to look forward to years of slumpbuster standing ovations.  Guh.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #291 on: July 24, 2009, 01:00:38 PM »
Wallace has a huge ass, and apparently played third with the agility of a young Ron Coomer.  He's going to rake, but it's going to be at 1b or dh. 

Holliday's a good all-around player, he had a shitty April and has been better since and really good lately.  I don't like this. 

But fuck it, Carpenter's arm is about ready to fly off and with it so will the Tards chances.

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
« Reply #292 on: July 24, 2009, 01:11:30 PM »
If the Cubs offense gets it together, they're still in control of this division. If the offense doesn't get going, they won't win it. If the Cubs can't beat a team who just traded away three prospects to get a guy who has fewer HR and RBI in 70 MORE at-bats than Ryan Ludwick has this year, then the Cubs weren't going to win this division anyway.
Desipio is a free-flowing website that occasionally touches on the immaturity, foolishness and outright stupidity of its readership.

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #293 on: July 24, 2009, 01:19:54 PM »
Quote from: BC on July 24, 2009, 01:11:30 PM
If the Cubs offense gets it together, they're still in control of this division. If the offense doesn't get going, they won't win it. If the Cubs can't beat a team who just traded away three prospects to get a guy who has fewer HR and RBI in 70 MORE at-bats than Ryan Ludwick has this year, then the Cubs weren't going to win this division anyway.

If the Cubs can't win more games than the Cardinals, they're not gonna win it.

If they can, they have a shot.

Let's see how it plays out.
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #294 on: July 24, 2009, 01:32:40 PM »
Quote from: Tank on July 24, 2009, 01:19:54 PM
Quote from: BC on July 24, 2009, 01:11:30 PM

If the Cubs can't win more games than the Cardinals, they're not gonna win it.

If they can, they have a shot.

Let's see how it plays out.

Alternately:

QuoteIf the Cubs can't beat a team who just traded away a lot of potential future production to rent a guy who has more HR and RBI than all but two of the Cardinals and an OPS+ of 125 (second only to Pujols) for the rest of the season, then the Cubs' offense probably underwhelmed when one considers their pitching strength. Nonetheless, the Cubs will reap the benefits down the road as the opportunity costs of the trade result in reduction of said future production for the Cardinals (i.e. let's see how it plays out.)

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #295 on: July 24, 2009, 02:24:30 PM »
You're not going to win a division if you make a habit of giving up three-run homers to the likes of Aaron Harang.
"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass

fiveouts

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #296 on: July 24, 2009, 03:06:18 PM »
I think the Reds players have swung at the first pitch about 75% of the time thus far today. 

Good God, Dusty Baker is a doofus. 

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #297 on: July 24, 2009, 03:17:47 PM »
Quote from: Dave B on July 24, 2009, 02:24:30 PM
You're not going to win a division if you make a habit of giving up three-run homers to the likes of Aaron Harang.

To be fair, they'd have to do this at least more than once before they could even think about making it a habit.
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

Lukester

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #298 on: July 24, 2009, 08:44:05 PM »
There was a new guy in the booth today for the Reds announcers.   It was some guy named Krench,  coupled with one of their usual cocksmooch's calling.     I'm hear to tell you,   it was the best called game I have ever heard by Reds announcers.   Bar None.    And that's including numerous wrong calls,  pronouncing 28% of the Cubs names wrong,  and capped off by both of the announcers stating that the homer hit by Baker in the 8th was switch hitting Fontenot.     
Let that sink in.   Not only is Fontenot not a switch hitting player,  he's also about 4-6 inches shorter than Baker,  doesn't wear glasses, ,,,,  and you know.... doesn't have the name BAKER stenciled in on his fucking jersey.
Baker rounded the bases,  and was in the dugout before they corrected themselves.   
But once again.   Best announcing I've ever heard from the Reds Announcers.   Stellar. 

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #299 on: July 24, 2009, 09:24:38 PM »
He's 5'6 when he bats lefty, but 6'2 when he hits righty.

That third inning was a thing of beauty.  First batter, hits a flyball to the track that Soriano should have caught, instead he gets Julio Zuleta'd in the ivy and two balls fall out.  A couple batters later he can't come in an fly ball and it drops for a hit.  With one out and runners at the corners, Alex Gonzalez hits one right back to Wells who turns to start an easy double play, but neither of the midgets covers home.  He nearly throws the ball into the stands going home, but Koyie saves him and after two too many throws they get one out.  Then Wells grooves one to Harang for a three run homer, and then just to put the cherry on the sudae, Fontenot boots an easy grounder.

Awesome.

Thankfully, E-ramis decided to almost hit for the cycle and saved their bacon.  This is a helluva way to win a pennant.