News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: CIN, HOU, MIL, PIT, CHC all pisspoor in 2009.  ( 104,612 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: CIN, HOU, MIL, PIT, STL all pisspoor in 2009.
« Reply #330 on: July 30, 2009, 06:15:58 PM »
By my very unofficial count, the Pirates have now gotten rid of 32% of their Opening Day Roster.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #331 on: July 30, 2009, 06:22:39 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on July 30, 2009, 06:15:58 PM
By my very unofficial count, the Pirates have now gotten rid of 32% of their Opening Day Roster.

Too bad, if they didn't trade Bay last year or make all of the moves they have this year, they'd probably be contenders in the Central.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #332 on: July 30, 2009, 06:27:35 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on July 30, 2009, 06:22:39 PM

Too bad, if they didn't trade Bay last year or make all of the moves they have this year, they'd probably be contenders in the Central. wouldn't be the Pirates.

In actuality fool'd.

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #333 on: July 30, 2009, 06:33:00 PM »

I count 10 gone, for 40% of 25...

Adam LaRoche, Freddy Sanchez, Jack Wilson, Nyjer Morgan, Nate McLouth, Eric Hinske, Craig Monroe, Ian Snell, John Grabow, Sean Burnett
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #334 on: July 30, 2009, 06:40:57 PM »
Quote from: Tank on July 30, 2009, 06:33:00 PM

I count 10 gone, for 40% of 25...

Adam LaRoche, Freddy Sanchez, Jack Wilson, Nyjer Morgan, Nate McLouth, Eric Hinske, Craig Monroe, Ian Snell, John Grabow, Sean Burnett

I didn't count Monroe because he's so bad they just cut him.
I missed Burnett though...

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
« Reply #335 on: July 30, 2009, 10:27:47 PM »
The Genius just put Wellemeyer into the 10th inning of a 3-3 game, and Todd promptly gave up a two-run single.

Thanks TG & TW!!!
Desipio is a free-flowing website that occasionally touches on the immaturity, foolishness and outright stupidity of its readership.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #336 on: July 31, 2009, 01:13:03 AM »
Lost in the excitement of Grabowner and Godzillany was this: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/07/astros-release-russ-ortiz.html

Quote[July 30, 2009 at 4:36pm CST]

According to Alyson Footer via Twitter, the Astros released pitcher Russ Ortiz.  Ortiz's nine earned run drubbing today was apparently the last straw, as his ERA rose to 5.57.  The Astros had signed Ortiz to a minor league deal in January and named him the fifth starter in April.

The game was a 1:20 start and apparently took 2:54 to complete, so 4:14, and a mere 22 minutes later he was being reported as released.

Cecil must have told him as he came to the mound to pull him to go ahead and pack his bags.

As Pen pointed out in the SBox, the Astros come in to Chicago and over the course of 4 days, they lose Oswalt to an injury, lose Wesley Wright to Zambrano-syndrome, have Hampton reinforce how much he sucks, and cut Ortiz. Sounds like that SNEAK ATTACK might be faltering.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #337 on: July 31, 2009, 01:36:30 AM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on July 31, 2009, 01:13:03 AM
Lost in the excitement of Grabowner and Godzillany was this: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/07/astros-release-russ-ortiz.html

Quote[July 30, 2009 at 4:36pm CST]

According to Alyson Footer via Twitter, the Astros released pitcher Russ Ortiz.  Ortiz's nine earned run drubbing today was apparently the last straw, as his ERA rose to 5.57.  The Astros had signed Ortiz to a minor league deal in January and named him the fifth starter in April.

The game was a 1:20 start and apparently took 2:54 to complete, so 4:14, and a mere 22 minutes later he was being reported as released.

Cecil must have told him as he came to the mound to pull him to go ahead and pack his bags.

As Pen pointed out in the SBox, the Astros come in to Chicago and over the course of 4 days, they lose Oswalt to an injury, lose Wesley Wright to Zambrano-syndrome, have Hampton reinforce how much he sucks, and cut Ortiz. Sounds like that SNEAK ATTACK might be faltering.

Well that's where you're wrong.  All the more sneaky when it's the least likely.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
« Reply #338 on: July 31, 2009, 03:23:46 PM »
The Cubs need a three-day SNEAK ATTACK from the Astros this weekend... Then they should lay down for the rest of the year.*

* = Except against the Cardinals, Brewers, and any potential Wild Card team.
Desipio is a free-flowing website that occasionally touches on the immaturity, foolishness and outright stupidity of its readership.

LoneStarCubFan

« Reply #339 on: August 01, 2009, 09:15:15 PM »

Hawkeye's clutchness

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #340 on: August 02, 2009, 09:03:44 AM »
Brew town implosion continues. Thoroughly enjoyable.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/52277737.html

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #341 on: August 02, 2009, 10:12:06 AM »
Quote from: Hawkeye's clutchness on August 02, 2009, 09:03:44 AM
Brew town implosion continues. Thoroughly enjoyable.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/52277737.html

Quote"It's just baseball," Braun said. "The toughest play as an outfielder is the line drive right at you. It's just baseball. You just move on to the next play. I didn't say it doesn't bother me, I just said it's baseball it happens. It won't be the first time, it won't be the last time."

Quote"No matter who is in there, we have to find a way to throw the ball better for us to have success," Braun said Sunday. "I think when you're constantly behind in games, it's not easy and it's not fun. Their starting pitcher was clearly better than ours this series."

So when other Brewers screw up, Braun thinks they're killing the team and changes need to be made.  When Braun screws up, it's "just baseball".  I wonder what the pitchers in the bullpen were thinking as he chased down that line drive.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #342 on: August 02, 2009, 11:00:06 AM »
DPD.  At least Brewers fans have the awesome HOME RUN DATABASE.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #343 on: August 02, 2009, 12:28:08 PM »
RotoWorld occasionally has a gem amidst all their failed attempts at comedy:

QuoteWilly Taveras has been scratched from the lineup a fourth straight game Sunday.
Taveras is battling wrist problems. Without Jerry Hairston Jr, Laynce Nix is the immediate beneficiary. Taveras is batting .240/.279/.290 this season with 21 stolen bases. The Reds would be better served to move on after the year, but Taveras signed a two-year pact. It means another year of Dusty Baker ensuring the leadoff position isn't clogging up the bases. Of course, here Baker is just clogging up the bench.

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
« Reply #344 on: August 02, 2009, 12:46:17 PM »
It is much more fun watching him manage a different National League Central team...

Here's to hoping he gets to "lead" another Central foe at some point in the future.