News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: CIN, HOU, MIL, PIT, CHC all pisspoor in 2009.  ( 104,612 )

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: CIN, HOU, MIL, PIT, CHC all pisspoor in 2009.
« Reply #495 on: October 05, 2009, 10:22:41 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on October 05, 2009, 10:11:22 AM
No one's buzzing about the firing of Von Joshua?  JUST IN TIME TO SAVE THE SEASON!
Until they fire Denny Crane Kenney, its' all meaningless.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #496 on: October 05, 2009, 10:38:49 AM »
Quote from: Eli on October 05, 2009, 10:22:16 AM
No one's buzzing about the firing of Von Joshua?  JUST IN TIME TO SAVE THE SEASON!

We should all be buzzing WITH FEAR about Sandberg's inevitable promotion to the big-league team.

That was my first thought, as well.  Sandberg as hitting coach in 2010?  Sigh.
Hire Jim Essian!

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #497 on: October 05, 2009, 10:50:29 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on October 05, 2009, 10:38:49 AM
No one's buzzing about the firing of Von Joshua?  JUST IN TIME TO SAVE THE SEASON!

We should all be buzzing WITH FEAR about Sandberg's inevitable promotion to the big-league team.

That was my first thought, as well.  Sandberg as hitting coach in 2010?  Sigh.

I have been violently opposed to this team giving Sandberg the keys to the franchise ever since the first warblings of this idea popped up 3 years ago, but as things have developed, I have grown resigned to it--the words of Bobby Knight have calmed me in these moments of despair.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #498 on: October 05, 2009, 10:55:53 AM »

Fitting neatly into Hendry's plan to have the entire roster comprised of second basemen.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #499 on: October 05, 2009, 11:04:20 AM »
Quote from: Fork on October 05, 2009, 10:55:53 AM

Fitting neatly into Hendry's plan to have the entire roster comprised of second basemen.

What is this, 2006?

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #500 on: October 05, 2009, 11:06:36 AM »

That speculation comes from the idea that the Cubs may want to give him a season as a coach in the big leagues, and that's the only spot open right now. If thy want to bring him up, I'd like to see him replace Quade as third-base coach. That's the best way to get him experience at MLB game situations if trammell isn't going anywhere.  
"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #501 on: October 05, 2009, 11:15:56 AM »
Quote from: Dave B on October 05, 2009, 11:06:36 AM
If thy want to bring him up, I'd like to see him replace Quade as third-base coach. That's the best way to get him experience at MLB game situations if trammell isn't going anywhere.  

I think the point is that we don't want Sandberg managing the Cubs.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #502 on: October 05, 2009, 11:24:21 AM »
Quote from: Eli on October 05, 2009, 11:15:56 AM
Quote from: Dave B on October 05, 2009, 11:06:36 AM
If thy want to bring him up, I'd like to see him replace Quade as third-base coach. That's the best way to get him experience at MLB game situations if trammell isn't going anywhere.  

I think the point is that we don't want Sandberg managing the Cubs.

Eh, at this point, how badly could Sandberg fuck things up?

I didn't want Sandberg to manage before, when he had absolutely no managerial experience.  Now he has some, so he's probably no worse than 98% of the dopes who manage MLB teams.  If Tom Ricketts wants to make Sandberg do paid autograph sessions at every home game and use the revenue to buy out hideous contracts or sign good players, bully for him.

Ghost of Dave Rosello

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #503 on: October 05, 2009, 11:31:57 AM »
The fact that it's been reported in all three papers that Sandberg will not be the hitting coach leads me to believe an announcement of his hiring is imminent.

Lance Dicksons Arm

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #504 on: October 05, 2009, 11:44:02 AM »
I'm open to giving Sandberg a shot.

I understand the criticism of his somewhat odd personality...and why that would concern people to some degree.  On the other hand, I don't get the impression that he's the type of guy whose going to put up with a bunch of shit (see Crazy Milton, Zambrano).  I also have no reason to believe he doesn't understand the fundamentals of baseball, or that he'd tolerate the game not being played correctly.

I also like the idea of him coaching in Chicago beforehand, however.  He hasn't spent a full season in a Major League dugout since 1997.   It's a different beast than handling guys in the bus leagues.   My concern is with him doing that in the same dugout as Lou manages in the last year of his contract.   Personally, I'd prefer that they extend Lou another season if they're going to bring him back in 2010.  

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #505 on: October 05, 2009, 11:52:44 AM »
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on October 05, 2009, 11:44:02 AM
I understand the criticism of his somewhat odd personality...and why that would concern people to some degree.  On the other hand, I don't get the impression that he's the type of guy whose going to put up with a bunch of shit (see Crazy Milton, Zambrano).  I also have no reason to believe he doesn't understand the fundamentals of baseball, or that he'd tolerate the game not being played correctly.

Depends on what you mean by "fundamentals of baseball."  If you like lots of sacrifice bunts, hit and runs and other out-making strategies, Sandberg might be your guy.

I do agree with the "game being played correctly" thing, as Ryno would never tolerate someone trying to hit a baseball with a hockey stick.

Lance Dicksons Arm

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #506 on: October 05, 2009, 11:57:39 AM »
Quote from: Eli on October 05, 2009, 11:52:44 AM

Depends on what you mean by "fundamentals of baseball."  If you like lots of sacrifice bunts, hit and runs and other out-making strategies, Sandberg might be your guy.

I do agree with the "game being played correctly" thing, as Ryno would never tolerate someone trying to hit a baseball with a hockey stick.

Is there data from his minor league work that indicates that he has a penchant for doing more of that than any other manager?  Or is this just a guess on your part because he exudes more GRIT than your average former HR Derby Champion?

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #507 on: October 05, 2009, 11:59:46 AM »

Eli is right. The whole notion of "the game being played correctly" is wrong as people have been playing the game wrong for about 100+ years

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #508 on: October 05, 2009, 12:00:10 PM »
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on October 05, 2009, 11:57:39 AM

Is there data from his minor league work that indicates that he has a penchant for doing more of that than any other manager? 

I'm not really into data, so I don't know.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #509 on: October 05, 2009, 12:00:31 PM »
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on October 05, 2009, 11:57:39 AM

Is there data from his minor league work that indicates that he has a penchant for doing more of that than any other manager?  Or is this just a guess on your part because he exudes more GRIT than your average former HR Derby Champion?

That's what I'm curious about (not that I'm doubting you, Eli).  I don't know a thing about his managerial style other than that he likes to get thrown out of games, and that he's never, you know, managed at the MLB level.
Hire Jim Essian!