News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Dumb ideas by Bud Selig  ( 3,512 )

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Dumb ideas by Bud Selig
« on: April 15, 2010, 04:27:25 PM »
Anyone care to note how stupid it is to "honor" Jackie Robinson by having everyone wear the same number?

1) It's a shallow gesture. To me, it almost reeks of Buddyboy convincing himself he's not a racist.
2) It makes life difficult for Pat Hughes who is trying to figure out who's doing what out there (who's up in the bullpen, who's pinch-hitting, etc.)
3) Are you really honoring Jackie by allowing Ryan Theriot or Jeff Samardzija to wear No. 42?

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
Re: Dumb ideas by Bud Selig
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 04:41:02 PM »
This is the greatest idea in the history of great ideas when compared to the bright idea of using a fucking exhibition game to determine home field advantage in the World Series.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 04:41:34 PM »
Kosuke wearing 42 is especially interesting.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 09:12:27 PM »
I'll tell you what's not dumb, letting teams pick their divisions. Amirite RV?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 09:49:58 PM »
Quote from: BH on April 15, 2010, 09:12:27 PM
I'll tell you what's not dumb, letting teams pick their divisions. Amirite RV?

Rays, Orioles, Indians 1st to 3rd in 2011.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 09:53:58 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on April 15, 2010, 04:41:34 PM

Because of his amazing status as the segregation-breaking first Japanese player in the history of the sport?
M'lady.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 10:20:34 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on April 15, 2010, 09:53:58 PM
Quote from: Slaky on April 15, 2010, 04:41:34 PM

Because of his amazing status as the segregation-breaking first Japanese player in the history of the sport?

Because he's a HUGE Douglas Adams fan.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 08:32:32 AM »
I was talking about this in the Shoutbox earlier - it's a completely pointless exercise and I really wish they'd stop it.  However, in the list of Bud Selig's bad ideas, it doesn't even come near the top ten.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 08:39:04 AM »
What does Mariano Rivera do?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Indolent Reader

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 04:00:51 PM »
What they should do is issue special hats to be worn for the day, then market said hats for a profit!  (with 3% of all proceeds to be donated to the United Negro College Fund).

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 08:59:13 PM »
Quote from: Indolent Reader on April 16, 2010, 04:00:51 PM
What they should do is issue special hats to be worn for the day, then market said hats for a profit!  (with 3% of all proceeds to be donated to the United Negro College Fund).

One of the Baseball Prospectus guys suggested that, if Bud and his buddies really want to make Jackie Robinson Day meaningful, they should donate the day's gate receipts to Reviving Baseball in Inner Cities. But it's much easier to just make a bunch of "42" jerseys.

SMan

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 09:51:15 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on April 15, 2010, 04:27:25 PM
Anyone care to note how stupid it is to "honor" Jackie Robinson by having everyone wear the same number?

1) It's a shallow gesture. To me, it almost reeks of Buddyboy convincing himself he's not a racist.
2) It makes life difficult for Pat Hughes who is trying to figure out who's doing what out there (who's up in the bullpen, who's pinch-hitting, etc.)
3) Are you really honoring Jackie by allowing Ryan Theriot or Jeff Samardzija to wear No. 42?

I dont know, you know there has to be at least one racist mother fucker out there who dreads this day like nothing else because he has to wear the number. And THAT alone makes it pretty cool in my eyes

Otherwise, yeah, pretty weak way of honoring history. And actually kind of ironic to have a bunch of white guys dress up like a black guy in "honor". I thought that kind of stuff was frowned on.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 10:16:57 PM »
Quote from: SMan on April 16, 2010, 09:51:15 PM
Quote from: Brownie on April 15, 2010, 04:27:25 PM

I dont know, you know there has to be at least one racist mother fucker out there who dreads this day like nothing else because he has to wear the number. And THAT alone makes it pretty cool in my eyes

Otherwise, yeah, pretty weak way of honoring history. And actually kind of ironic to have a bunch of white guys dress up like a black guy in "honor". I thought that kind of stuff was frowned on.

It's probably not worth annoying millions of non-racists just to bring aggravation to the minority of shit-piles out there who can't stand to participate in honoring a dead legend.  But like others have said ... on a list of Dumb Selig Ideas, this isn't even in the top 10.
M'lady.

Bonk

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 02:22:54 PM »
I would've liked to have seen John Rocker don the 42 jersey.

I think it's retarded to have everyone wearing 42. Can't everyone just wear a 42 patch on their jerseys?

powen01

• Vuvuzela Spit Cleaner
  • Fukakke Fan Club
    • powen01@yahoo.com
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 03:40:44 PM »
Quote from: Bonk on April 17, 2010, 02:22:54 PM
I would've liked to have seen John Rocker don the 42 jersey.

I think it's retarded to have everyone wearing 42. Can't everyone just wear a 42 patch on their jerseys?

They should brand all the honkies with a 42.  That'll learn 'em.