News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 365,673 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #225 on: June 27, 2013, 01:50:14 PM »
DPD.  Now that I've skimmed the article, I'm wondering when Theo and Jed ran over Jonathan Bernhardt's dog.  

Quoteex-Padres GM Jed Hoyer (who is currently trying to deal Garza to the Padres for more of his guys)

Quote(the latest rumor is that Chicago's targeting San Diego outfielder Reymond Fuentes, another Hoyer guy, who is on his second try at AA).

Seems like a weird collateral swipe.  Is there something wrong with getting "his guys"?  Get Bernhardt's guys instead, you asshole.

Then he says you can blame them for the current major league roster, except Soriano, except Marmol.  Most of the problems are injuries, so obviously that's all Dr. Epstein's fault for not keeping everyone healthy.  He takes some shots at Kevin Gregg for some reason.  I'm not sure why he thinks letting Gregg be the closer for a shitty team is apparently unforgivable.  He points the finger at some other temporary fill-ins.  It's almost as if temporary fill-ins don't always win games or stay healthy!  Then he's very down on the extensions for Rizzo and the slumping Castro, which is fair.  (Conveniently timed considering Castro's slump, but fair.)  Still pretty early to start passing judgment on Rizzo, while Castro remains young enough to conceivably figure it out.  Still though, committing all that money this early was arguably a mistake, but more so for Castro, as I think Rizzo will probably come pretty close to being worth his money at least.  They took a gamble that might not work out for non-franchise-binding money.  Sort of like the signing of Edwin Jackson, which he also hates.

Then there's this:

Quotehowever, the Cubs have made a number of moves that show they expected to at least be flirting with .500 right now.

Really?  I don't think so.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #226 on: June 27, 2013, 02:07:26 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on June 27, 2013, 01:50:14 PM
DPD.  Now that I've skimmed the article, I'm wondering when Theo and Jed ran over Jonathan Bernhardt's dog.  

Quoteex-Padres GM Jed Hoyer (who is currently trying to deal Garza to the Padres for more of his guys)

Quote(the latest rumor is that Chicago's targeting San Diego outfielder Reymond Fuentes, another Hoyer guy, who is on his second try at AA).

Seems like a weird collateral swipe.  Is there something wrong with getting "his guys"?  Get Bernhardt's guys instead, you asshole.

Then he says you can blame them for the current major league roster, except Soriano, except Marmol.  Most of the problems are injuries, so obviously that's all Dr. Epstein's fault for not keeping everyone healthy.  He takes some shots at Kevin Gregg for some reason.  I'm not sure why he thinks letting Gregg be the closer for a shitty team is apparently unforgivable.  He points the finger at some other temporary fill-ins.  It's almost as if temporary fill-ins don't always win games or stay healthy!  Then he's very down on the extensions for Rizzo and the slumping Castro, which is fair.  (Conveniently timed considering Castro's slump, but fair.)  Still pretty early to start passing judgment on Rizzo, while Castro remains young enough to conceivably figure it out.  Still though, committing all that money this early was arguably a mistake, but more so for Castro, as I think Rizzo will probably come pretty close to being worth his money at least.  They took a gamble that might not work out for non-franchise-binding money.  Sort of like the signing of Edwin Jackson, which he also hates.

Then there's this:

Quotehowever, the Cubs have made a number of moves that show they expected to at least be flirting with .500 right now.

A number of moves: He names two. Jackson and Fujikawa. Neither of which apply.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #227 on: June 27, 2013, 02:13:39 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on June 27, 2013, 02:07:26 PM
DPD.  Now that I've skimmed the article, I'm wondering when Theo and Jed ran over Jonathan Bernhardt's dog. 

Seems like a weird collateral swipe.  Is there something wrong with getting "his guys"?  Get Bernhardt's guys instead, you asshole.

Then he says you can blame them for the current major league roster, except Soriano, except Marmol.  Most of the problems are injuries, so obviously that's all Dr. Epstein's fault for not keeping everyone healthy.  He takes some shots at Kevin Gregg for some reason.  I'm not sure why he thinks letting Gregg be the closer for a shitty team is apparently unforgivable.  He points the finger at some other temporary fill-ins.  It's almost as if temporary fill-ins don't always win games or stay healthy!  Then he's very down on the extensions for Rizzo and the slumping Castro, which is fair.  (Conveniently timed considering Castro's slump, but fair.)  Still pretty early to start passing judgment on Rizzo, while Castro remains young enough to conceivably figure it out.  Still though, committing all that money this early was arguably a mistake, but more so for Castro, as I think Rizzo will probably come pretty close to being worth his money at least.  They took a gamble that might not work out for non-franchise-binding money.  Sort of like the signing of Edwin Jackson, which he also hates.

Then there's this:

Really?  I don't think so.

It's a bizarre article when you consider it's been LESS THAN A YEAR AND A HALF.

Invoking Kevin Gregg's name in an article about what I suppose is the author's take on a rebuilding failure (?) is complete horseshit. He's a no one. A retread meant to get outs while they figure out who they can flip.

Who the hell expected the Cubs to be .500? How many times has the front office said there's no reason to win 75 games instead of 72 or 65 or whatever.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #228 on: June 27, 2013, 02:28:11 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on June 27, 2013, 02:13:39 PM
DPD.  Now that I've skimmed the article, I'm wondering when Theo and Jed ran over Jonathan Bernhardt's dog. 

Seems like a weird collateral swipe.  Is there something wrong with getting "his guys"?  Get Bernhardt's guys instead, you asshole.

Then he says you can blame them for the current major league roster, except Soriano, except Marmol.  Most of the problems are injuries, so obviously that's all Dr. Epstein's fault for not keeping everyone healthy.  He takes some shots at Kevin Gregg for some reason.  I'm not sure why he thinks letting Gregg be the closer for a shitty team is apparently unforgivable.  He points the finger at some other temporary fill-ins.  It's almost as if temporary fill-ins don't always win games or stay healthy!  Then he's very down on the extensions for Rizzo and the slumping Castro, which is fair.  (Conveniently timed considering Castro's slump, but fair.)  Still pretty early to start passing judgment on Rizzo, while Castro remains young enough to conceivably figure it out.  Still though, committing all that money this early was arguably a mistake, but more so for Castro, as I think Rizzo will probably come pretty close to being worth his money at least.  They took a gamble that might not work out for non-franchise-binding money.  Sort of like the signing of Edwin Jackson, which he also hates.

Then there's this:

Invoking Kevin Gregg's name in an article about what I suppose is the author's take on a rebuilding failure (?) is complete horseshit. He's a no one. A retread meant to get outs while they figure out who they can flip.

Who the hell expected the Cubs to be .500? How many times has the front office said there's no reason to win 75 games instead of 72 or 65 or whatever.

You could argue Gregg was an incredible pickup, we picked him off the scrap heap and he will be traded for a decent prospect from a playoff team that needs help.

Also, I'm pretty sure Huey wants a team that is .500, but he's the only one. I'd rather have 2 more years of crap teams, high draft picks.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #229 on: June 27, 2013, 02:33:21 PM »
Quote from: BH on June 27, 2013, 02:28:11 PM

Then he says you can blame them for the current major league roster, except Soriano, except Marmol.  Most of the problems are injuries, so obviously that's all Dr. Epstein's fault for not keeping everyone healthy.  He takes some shots at Kevin Gregg for some reason.  I'm not sure why he thinks letting Gregg be the closer for a shitty team is apparently unforgivable.  He points the finger at some other temporary fill-ins.  It's almost as if temporary fill-ins don't always win games or stay healthy!  Then he's very down on the extensions for Rizzo and the slumping Castro, which is fair.  (Conveniently timed considering Castro's slump, but fair.)  Still pretty early to start passing judgment on Rizzo, while Castro remains young enough to conceivably figure it out.  Still though, committing all that money this early was arguably a mistake, but more so for Castro, as I think Rizzo will probably come pretty close to being worth his money at least.  They took a gamble that might not work out for non-franchise-binding money.  Sort of like the signing of Edwin Jackson, which he also hates.

Then there's this:

You could argue Gregg was an incredible pickup, we picked him off the scrap heap and he will be traded for a decent prospect from a playoff team that needs help.

Also, I'm pretty sure Huey wants a team that is .500, but he's the only one. I'd rather have 2 more years of crap teams, high draft picks.

I think I can recall at least two or three times this season where the Cubs' Pythagorean record had them somewhere either at .500 or one game below that number.

The current team is not godawful like the Marlins, but they could have been a bit better this year save for their bullpen woes.

But even if they were .500, it doesn't really matter by this point.  A winning season or .500 season would be nice, certainly, but it does nothing in the big picture to affect the overall plan.

When the team looks like what Theo/Jed had in mind at the beginning of what they considered to be their contending time frame, then I'll give a shit about the record.  Until then, BFD.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #230 on: June 27, 2013, 02:35:33 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on June 27, 2013, 02:33:21 PM

Then there's this:

I think I can recall at least two or three times this season where the Cubs' Pythagorean record had them somewhere either at .500 or one game below that number.

The current team is not godawful like the Marlins, but they could have been a bit better this year save for their bullpen woes.

But even if they were .500, it doesn't really matter by this point.  A winning season or .500 season would be nice, certainly, but it does nothing in the big picture to affect the overall plan.

When the team looks like what Theo/Jed had in mind at the beginning of what they considered to be their contending time frame, then I'll give a shit about the record.  Until then, BFD.

If anything, it hurts the plan by diminishing the value they could have by picking later in the draft.  Punt on this season and next for all I care.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #231 on: June 27, 2013, 02:37:05 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on June 27, 2013, 02:35:33 PM

Then there's this:

But even if they were .500, it doesn't really matter by this point.  A winning season or .500 season would be nice, certainly, but it does nothing in the big picture to affect the overall plan.

When the team looks like what Theo/Jed had in mind at the beginning of what they considered to be their contending time frame, then I'll give a shit about the record.  Until then, BFD.

If anything, it hurts the plan by diminishing the value they could have by picking later in the draft.  Punt on this season and next for all I care.

You're right.  DATS WHY ILL BE WEARING MY A'S HAT NEXT WEEK, MY FRENTS!!
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #232 on: June 27, 2013, 02:37:59 PM »

Then there's this:

He has been a great pickup. A few of the replacement level players have done better than they were supposed to. Gregg is one, Valbuena, Ransom, and Ryan Sweeney are all hitting pretty well despite being AAAA type guys.

So with a roster full of those types who the hell was expecting some kind of miracle turnaround to suggest some metaphorical ship was being righted? The work is being done at the lower levels.

The author was grilled on Twitter by two very smart dudes who I like to hear talk about baseball and the author's contention was like Al's: prospects fail and the Cubs don't have a lot of pitching depth.

NO SHIT. Where are they supposed to come from? How about...the draft? And trades?

That's why you acquire MANY prospects.

Maybe I'm the crazy one here.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #233 on: June 27, 2013, 02:38:50 PM »
When the team looks like what Theo/Jed had in mind at the beginning of what they considered to be their contending time frame, then I'll give a shit about the record.  Until then, BFD.

If anything, it hurts the plan by diminishing the value they could have by picking later in the draft.  Punt on this season and next for all I care.

And it hurts the ability to sign free agents. Theo said he wants to either win or get a protected (bottom 9 record) pick. I'm with him. Being .500 is detrimental to this team at present.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #234 on: June 27, 2013, 02:39:48 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 27, 2013, 02:38:50 PM

If anything, it hurts the plan by diminishing the value they could have by picking later in the draft.  Punt on this season and next for all I care.

And it hurts the ability to sign free agents. Theo said he wants to either win or get a protected (bottom 9 record) pick. I'm with him. Being .500 is detrimental to this team at present.

How does it hurt?

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #235 on: June 27, 2013, 02:42:13 PM »
Quote from: BH on June 27, 2013, 02:39:48 PM

How does it hurt?

The evidence would suggest that at this point, it hasn't limited their capacity to do so.

Granted they're not targeting high-profile guys who would probably say no to a rebuilding team, but they've still been able to get the AAAA-type and decent MLB-caliber players so far.

They just have to pay a bit above market for them.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #236 on: June 27, 2013, 02:51:02 PM »
Before we all slob Kevin Gregg down. And I know I'm just dying to do so, I think his inclusion in the article was meant to illustrate the lack of organizational pitching depth, which is a big problem, but not Theo and Jed's fault.

Also, Gregg sucks. I just pray his regression happens sometime after July 31. Then I'll get in line to blow him.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #237 on: June 27, 2013, 02:55:33 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on June 27, 2013, 02:51:02 PM
Before we all slob Kevin Gregg down. And I know I'm just dying to do so, I think his inclusion in the article was meant to illustrate the lack of organizational pitching depth, which is a big problem, but not Theo and Jed's fault.

Also, Gregg sucks. I just pray his regression happens sometime after July 31. Then I'll get in line to blow him.

Don't get me wrong, I want him to go away. You can make the case that his role on the team speaks to the lack of depth. Many things speak to that.

You could also argue that the role of closer on a horseshit baseball team is hardly worth thinking about.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #238 on: June 27, 2013, 02:56:17 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on June 27, 2013, 02:55:33 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on June 27, 2013, 02:51:02 PM

Don't get me wrong, I want him to go away. You can make the case that his role on the team speaks to the lack of depth. Many things speak to that.

You could also argue that the role of closer on a horseshit baseball team is hardly worth thinking about.

I definitely try not to. But Fantasy Baseball...

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #239 on: June 27, 2013, 03:01:43 PM »
Quote from: BH on June 27, 2013, 02:39:48 PM

How does it hurt?

Ignore him.  "free agents" = "Robinson Fucking Cano"