News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 365,724 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #450 on: August 05, 2013, 11:40:12 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on August 05, 2013, 10:04:12 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on August 05, 2013, 09:16:17 AM
Quote from: Fork on August 05, 2013, 09:06:21 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on August 05, 2013, 08:56:23 AM
The Cubs are thin at "ready" talent.  They are chock full of "future" talent.  TheoJed aren't going to "Starlin Castro" Javy Baez.  At least it doesn't appear that way.

Under the old regime, I'm pretty sure both Baez and Soler would have had their major league debuts by now.

That being said, Bryant will probably be on a fast track, relative to the other guys in the system. I expect that to start next season he leapfrogs Almora, and starts in Tennessee.

I read on Rotoworld that they expect him to finish at Tennessee this season.  But what do they know?

I'm guessing Tennessee might be ambitious, but if he keeps mashing at the podunk A level, it could happen.  I definitely think he'll be before Almora and even Baez because he's a more refined player being that he played three years of college baseball and that 3B could remain a black hole dependent on Mike Olt.

I'm guessing third will still be a need due to the black hole where Mike Olt's eye used to be.

Mike Olt

He went 2-5 yesterday with a double and a triple and 2 knocked in.

His first AB was particularly impressive.  With 2 outs in the first and two on, he battled through a 7-pitch AB (ball, ball, called strike, foul, foul, foul) hitting a 2-run ground rule double on a full count.

For a guy who was roughly 0-for his last-30, that's a lot of patience in that situation.

Or maybe he's just blind.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #451 on: August 05, 2013, 11:54:56 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on August 05, 2013, 11:40:12 AM
The Cubs are thin at "ready" talent.  They are chock full of "future" talent.  TheoJed aren't going to "Starlin Castro" Javy Baez.  At least it doesn't appear that way.

Under the old regime, I'm pretty sure both Baez and Soler would have had their major league debuts by now.

That being said, Bryant will probably be on a fast track, relative to the other guys in the system. I expect that to start next season he leapfrogs Almora, and starts in Tennessee.

I read on Rotoworld that they expect him to finish at Tennessee this season.  But what do they know?

I'm guessing Tennessee might be ambitious, but if he keeps mashing at the podunk A level, it could happen.  I definitely think he'll be before Almora and even Baez because he's a more refined player being that he played three years of college baseball and that 3B could remain a black hole dependent on Mike Olt.

I'm guessing third will still be a need due to the black hole where Mike Olt's eye used to be.

Mike Olt

His first AB was particularly impressive.  With 2 outs in the first and two on, he battled through a 7-pitch AB (ball, ball, called strike, foul, foul, foul) hitting a 2-run ground rule double on a full count.

For a guy who was roughly 0-for his last-30, that's a lot of patience in that situation.

You don't need as much patience when three taking balls will earn you first base.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #452 on: August 05, 2013, 11:57:57 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on August 05, 2013, 11:54:56 AM

Mike Olt

You don't need as much patience when three taking balls will earn you first base.

Even more impressive then!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #453 on: August 06, 2013, 01:48:51 PM »
Quote from: Fork on August 01, 2013, 10:10:38 AM
August 1 is traditionally a busy day for teams moving guys up a level. See if Almora gets to spend his last month of the season closer to home.

SQD (Self Quoting Douche):

So far Daytona has had one game in the month of August. Almora is ready, but unless he wants to play center field in a rowboat he's staying in Kane County.

ETA: Almora is out for a few games with a hip flexor injury. By the time he comes back, there might not be enough season left to make a callup worth it.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #454 on: August 07, 2013, 09:51:20 AM »
This is all you really need around Cubs prospects.

This was my favorite.

"The Good: It's hard not to have a little bit of a crush on Almora. Hard-working, humble, handsome, generous, smart: all of these adjectives have been used to describe Almora. The son of Cuban immigrants, he's the classic All-American boy."

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #455 on: August 07, 2013, 10:16:20 AM »
Quote from: BH on August 07, 2013, 09:51:20 AM

This was my favorite.

"The Good: It's hard not to have a little bit of a crush on Almora. Hard-working, humble, handsome, generous, smart: all of these adjectives have been used to describe Almora. The son of Cuban immigrants, he's the classic All-American boy."

Nothing wrong with "the good face".
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #456 on: August 07, 2013, 11:19:48 AM »

This was my favorite.

Odds that his Top 20 perfectly coincides with mlb.com's Top 20? I think he's 10 for 10.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #457 on: August 07, 2013, 12:21:44 PM »

This was my favorite.

"I've never had ghey sex. But if Albert Almora strode over to me after yet another 3-for-4 game, with sweat glistening on his handsome face, I think I'd bend over and go all the way, no questions asked."

Why is Al sanctioning a top prospects list? The list should be:

1. No.
2. Prospects never work out. (See one of my four hundred, 80,000-word open letters to Theo.)
3. Acquire Jeff Francoeur, Jeremy Hermida, and their equivalents instead.
4. They're not the best players, not by a long shot. But they're the RIGHT players.
5. No one performs better when I'm wearing my blue 1994 Cubs road batting practice hat than those guys.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #458 on: August 07, 2013, 12:34:21 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on August 05, 2013, 11:57:57 AM
Quote from: ChuckD on August 05, 2013, 11:54:56 AM

Mike Olt

Even more impressive then!

After an 0-4 on Monday, Olt came back yesterday with another nice game.  Reached base 4 times in 5 ABs (1 single, 3 BBs.)

Pretty sure he's still terrible though.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #459 on: August 07, 2013, 03:13:35 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on August 07, 2013, 12:21:44 PM

This was my favorite.

"I've never had ghey sex. But if Albert Almora strode over to me after yet another 3-for-4 game, with sweat glistening on his handsome face, I think I'd bend over and go all the way, no questions asked."

So I guess I'm the only guy who thinks he looks like Danny Pudi then?

TIME TO POST!

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #460 on: August 07, 2013, 04:11:19 PM »
Quote from: Fork on August 07, 2013, 03:13:35 PM

This was my favorite.

Yes, Fork. You are. Which is to say: no, Fork.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #461 on: August 07, 2013, 07:28:05 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on August 07, 2013, 04:11:19 PM

This was my favorite.

No, Fork.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #462 on: August 07, 2013, 10:27:09 PM »
Quote from: Bort on August 07, 2013, 07:28:05 PM

This was my favorite.

No, Fork.

WHERE IS THE QUALIFICATION? Does this mean "Yes, Fork?"

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #463 on: August 07, 2013, 11:33:18 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on August 07, 2013, 10:27:09 PM
Quote from: Bort on August 07, 2013, 07:28:05 PM

This was my favorite.

No, Fork.

WHERE IS THE QUALIFICATION? Does this mean "Yes, Fork?"

No, other Chuck.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #464 on: August 09, 2013, 09:39:06 AM »
Jokisch threw a no-hitter in AA, but he gave up a couple rockets. Fortunately, Villanueva & Baez bailed him out.
TIME TO POST!