News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 365,738 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #600 on: December 19, 2013, 03:46:20 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on December 18, 2013, 11:51:53 PM
Jonathan Sanchez. IT'S ALL COMING TOGETHER.

Pretty sure he's not a prospect.

MODS!

But that Angel Guzman note in Bort's post is music to RV's ears.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #601 on: December 19, 2013, 07:39:09 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on December 19, 2013, 03:46:20 PM

MODS!

This thread veered away from prospects a long time ago.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #602 on: December 20, 2013, 10:32:00 AM »

MODS!

ANHELL GOOSMAN will have his vengeance, in this life or the next.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #603 on: December 20, 2013, 11:03:25 AM »

You just wait until July 31, man.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #604 on: December 23, 2013, 01:13:48 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on December 13, 2013, 12:58:54 PM
Liam Hendriks*.

Linking to his stellar minor league stats versus his crappy pro ones, peripherals aside.

Congrats, Tonk!

Suck it, Eli.

Suck it, Pen

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #605 on: December 23, 2013, 01:45:37 PM »
Another essential piece of the puzzle if uncovered!

The Chicago Cubs claimed right-handed pitcher Brett Marshall off waivers from the New York Yankees, the team announced Monday.

The 23-year-old Marshall made his major league debut for the Yankees this season, pitching in relief in three games. He posted a 4.50 ERA, struck out seven and walked seven in 12 innings. A Yankees sixth-round selection in the 2008 draft, he is 36-32 with a 4.07 ERA in 115 games, including 113 starts, in the minor leagues.

Baseball America ranked Marshall as the Yankees' sixth-best prospect following the 2013 season. The Yankees designated him for assignment on Dec. 19.

ckane@tribune.com
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #606 on: December 23, 2013, 01:54:22 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on December 23, 2013, 01:45:37 PM
Another essential piece of the puzzle if uncovered!

The Chicago Cubs claimed right-handed pitcher Brett Marshall off waivers from the New York Yankees, the team announced Monday.

The 23-year-old Marshall made his major league debut for the Yankees this season, pitching in relief in three games. He posted a 4.50 ERA, struck out seven and walked seven in 12 innings. A Yankees sixth-round selection in the 2008 draft, he is 36-32 with a 4.07 ERA in 115 games, including 113 starts, in the minor leagues.

Baseball America ranked Marshall as the Yankees' sixth-best prospect following the 2013 season. The Yankees designated him for assignment on Dec. 19.

ckane@tribune.com

Well, we know who to email at least.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #607 on: December 27, 2013, 12:48:56 PM »
Can Epstink just sign Tanaka already?  HOW MANY MORE TEARS, THEO?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #608 on: January 02, 2014, 12:49:04 PM »
Ben Badler breaks down the Tanaka sweepstakes.  Has the Cubs ranked 4th. 

I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #609 on: January 03, 2014, 09:21:31 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 02, 2014, 12:49:04 PM

Seriously the Cubs have no chance. Smart people I like still think if they offer the most money he'll sign. I don't see that happening.

This is how I prepare myself for "Tanaka to Dodgers" because how does that not happen?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #610 on: January 03, 2014, 09:31:38 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on January 03, 2014, 09:21:31 AM

Seriously the Cubs have no chance. Smart people I like still think if they offer the most money he'll sign. I don't see that happening.

This is how I prepare myself for "Tanaka to Dodgers" because how does that not happen?

Because Seattke is spending money like it's about to go rotten.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #611 on: January 03, 2014, 09:41:29 AM »
Ben Badler breaks down the Tanaka sweepstakes.  Has the Cubs ranked 4th.  

I feel like there have been conflicting reports, too. I think it was Sahadev Sharma last week on Twitter who had some stuff from Hoyer, basically repeating that they'll probably only sign a big FA when it's a "one last move" to put them over the top. But I haven't seen those quotes elsewhere, so maybe I'm imagining it.

ETA: Found the tweets, which were more about "overpaying" for a FA.

QuoteHoyer on overpaying: If you're going to do that, it almost has to be what you consider a real final piece to the puzzle.

QuoteHoyer on overpaying: Almost by definition, whenever you sign any free agent, you overpaid because 98% of the time you offered most $

QuoteHoyer on overpaying: Free agency in general is built upon, not over paying, but paying the most money for someone and valuing them the most.

QuoteHoyer on overpaying: When people say truly overpay, I think that's going above and beyond to sign a player at all costs.

QuoteHoyer on overpaying: That doesn't work out very often. If you're going to do that it almost has to be that final capping piece on a team.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #612 on: January 03, 2014, 09:47:38 AM »
Quote from: Eli on January 03, 2014, 09:41:29 AM

I feel like there have been conflicting reports, too. I think it was Sahadev Sharma last week on Twitter who had some stuff from Hoyer, basically repeating that they'll probably only sign a big FA when it's a "one last move" to put them over the top. But I haven't seen those quotes elsewhere, so maybe I'm imagining it.

And I can't shake the feeling that Tanaka is nowhere near a slam dunk as some would have you believe.

baseball is such a nightmare.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #613 on: January 03, 2014, 10:12:42 AM »
The most confusing thing about the Cubs offseason goes back to Theo's quote from the preseason about how losing 90 games and having a protected pick is far better than losing 85.  I took that to mean that if he had a protected pick, he'd be more willing to spend in free agency.  Add that to last year's signings of Jackson and the attempted signing of Sanchez and compare it to the silence this year.

I wonder why they were far more active last year despite being a year further away from contending than they have been this year?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #614 on: January 03, 2014, 10:24:46 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 03, 2014, 10:12:42 AM
The most confusing thing about the Cubs offseason goes back to Theo's quote from the preseason about how losing 90 games and having a protected pick is far better than losing 85.  I took that to mean that if he had a protected pick, he'd be more willing to spend in free agency.  Add that to last year's signings of Jackson and the attempted signing of Sanchez and compare it to the silence this year.

I wonder why they were far more active last year despite being a year further away from contending than they have been this year?

I think Theo said something about how they may have jumped the gun last offseason in FA in terms of when they could compete. He didn't flat-out admit that signing Jackson was a mistake, but you could infer that it was probably a reactionary move to missing on Sanchez. I think all of that has made them a bit tentative this offseason.