News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 365,677 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #900 on: May 01, 2014, 02:18:12 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on May 01, 2014, 12:49:00 PM
Quote from: Eli on May 01, 2014, 12:45:37 PM
Quote from: Tony on May 01, 2014, 12:30:30 PM
What's he supposed to say? That when Bryant and Baez flop they'll spend a shit ton of money? That will only make the meatballs less patient for them to add to the payroll. It sounded like a vote of confidence in Theo and Plan A to me. And at this point in the process what else is he supposed to say or do?

"Good organizations are always able to adapt. We're confident in our current path but if we ever need to adjust, we have the best front office in baseball to make those adjustments."

His quote makes them sound unprepared, naive and inflexible. Never something you want to hear, but especially not right now when 4 of the team's top 5 prospects have had such poor starts to their seasons.

What's important is that we haven't had to talk Eli off the ledge in a good 7-10 days. 
It was a good run.

I wouldn't say I'm on any sort of ledge, but I also don't think anyone has done anything to sway my general viewpoint.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #901 on: May 01, 2014, 02:31:46 PM »
What's he supposed to say? That when Bryant and Baez flop they'll spend a shit ton of money? That will only make the meatballs less patient for them to add to the payroll. It sounded like a vote of confidence in Theo and Plan A to me. And at this point in the process what else is he supposed to say or do?

"Good organizations are always able to adapt. We're confident in our current path but if we ever need to adjust, we have the best front office in baseball to make those adjustments."

His quote makes them sound unprepared, naive and inflexible. Never something you want to hear, but especially not right now when 4 of the team's top 5 prospects have had such poor starts to their seasons.

That sounds way worse than what Ricketts actually said because that's what every executive always says about anything ever.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #902 on: May 01, 2014, 02:46:10 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on May 01, 2014, 02:31:46 PM

That sounds way worse than what Ricketts actually said because that's what every executive always says about anything ever.

There's a reason for that.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #903 on: May 01, 2014, 03:48:12 PM »
Oh, for the love of Christ.

Here's the full quote found in Mooney's piece (and, who knows, tracking down the full interview he pulls this from might even offer more context for the question and answer):

QuoteKeteyian: "It's a roll of the dice in a lot of ways. Is there a Plan B if this doesn't work?"

Ricketts: "I'm not sure there is a Plan B. The fact is, when you go to the free-agent market, it is basically like saying: 'We were unable to develop that player internally.' But there's no one big check. There's no one big guy. There's no magic button to hit in the free-agent market."

Ricketts isn't saying 'if this particular crop of prospects don't live up to the hype, we're plumb out of ideas.'

He seems to be expressing confidence that the way the Cubs are going about this rebuild is the right way to do it. That's all. Expressing confidence in the Master Plan without muddying the waters with vague and useless hedging.

It's like you're actively looking for reasons to get worked up at this point, Eli.

That's so... Chuck.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #904 on: May 01, 2014, 04:05:27 PM »
Meanwhile, what the fuck is Mooney on about anyways?

QuoteWhether or not you believe Epstein, general manager Jed Hoyer and their cronies are the smartest guys in baseball — the Dale Sveum firing, Edwin Jackson's $52 million contract and Ian Stewart's Twitter account created questions about management style and reading people...

My God, the sports media in this fucking town.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #905 on: May 01, 2014, 04:13:19 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on May 01, 2014, 03:48:12 PM
Oh, for the love of Christ.

Here's the full quote found in Mooney's piece (and, who knows, tracking down the full interview he pulls this from might even offer more context for the question and answer):

QuoteKeteyian: "It's a roll of the dice in a lot of ways. Is there a Plan B if this doesn't work?"

Ricketts: "I'm not sure there is a Plan B. The fact is, when you go to the free-agent market, it is basically like saying: 'We were unable to develop that player internally.' But there's no one big check. There's no one big guy. There's no magic button to hit in the free-agent market."

Ricketts isn't saying 'if this particular crop of prospects don't live up to the hype, we're plumb out of ideas.'

He seems to be expressing confidence that the way the Cubs are going about this rebuild is the right way to do it. That's all. Expressing confidence in the Master Plan without muddying the waters with vague and useless hedging.

It's like you're actively looking for reasons to get worked up at this point, Eli.

That's so... Chuck.

That's fine if you read it that way. It read like poor messaging to me. Also, there hadn't been a post here in like 3 days, so I was just trying to open up some discussion on this sports message board.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #906 on: May 01, 2014, 04:13:35 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on May 01, 2014, 04:05:27 PM

QuoteWhether or not you believe Epstein, general manager Jed Hoyer and their cronies are the smartest guys in baseball — the Dale Sveum firing, Edwin Jackson's $52 million contract and Ian Stewart's Twitter account created questions about management style and reading people...

Can I agree with part of this but not the rest?
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #907 on: May 01, 2014, 04:24:31 PM »
Quote from: Eli on May 01, 2014, 02:46:10 PM

I think what he actually said was only slightly more interesting than what you would prefer he said, which is basically meaningless. You're reading way too much into his original comment.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #908 on: May 01, 2014, 04:27:21 PM »
Quote from: Eli on May 01, 2014, 04:13:19 PM
It read like poor messaging to me.

Isn't "messaging" is what hack pundits on CNN talk about when they don't know anything/give a shit about the actual issues?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #909 on: May 01, 2014, 04:29:38 PM »
Quote from: Tony on May 01, 2014, 04:24:31 PM
Quote from: Eli on May 01, 2014, 02:46:10 PM

I think what he actually said was only slightly more interesting than what you would prefer he said, which is basically meaningless. You're reading way too much into his original comment.

Intrepid Reader: Eli

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #910 on: May 01, 2014, 04:32:48 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on May 01, 2014, 04:27:21 PM
Quote from: Eli on May 01, 2014, 04:13:19 PM
It read like poor messaging to me.

Isn't "messaging" is what hack pundits on CNN talk about when they don't know anything/give a shit about the actual issues?

I don't know. I don't watch CNN very much.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #911 on: May 01, 2014, 04:34:39 PM »

if Starlin and Rizzo keep this up and to a lesser extent, Castillo - they might narrow the gap to .500 a little bit. Not sure if that makes anyone happy or not.

Also Alcantara is slugging the crap out of the ball. He should be up this year since he's already on the 40.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #912 on: May 01, 2014, 04:36:46 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 01, 2014, 04:34:39 PM

if Starlin and Rizzo keep this up and to a lesser extent, Castillo - they might narrow the gap to .500 a little bit. Not sure if that makes anyone happy or not.

Also Alcantara is slugging the crap out of the ball. He should be up this year since he's already on the 40.

But if they get close to .500 the media will say they should have spent a little more to put them in contention.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #913 on: May 01, 2014, 04:37:20 PM »
Is it possible that Eli was bitten by a WereChuck, and cannot control his transformations?
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #914 on: May 01, 2014, 04:39:08 PM »
Quote from: Bort on May 01, 2014, 04:37:20 PM
Is it possible that Eli was bitten by a WereChuck, and cannot control his transformations?