News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 365,805 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #975 on: May 15, 2014, 12:00:53 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on May 15, 2014, 11:45:21 AM
Article today from Sahadev Sharma on some options for the Cubs at 4.

Posting this so it appears directly below your latest post:

Thank God the Cubs did all that tanking last season so they could get the fourth pick in a three-player draft (if that).

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #976 on: May 15, 2014, 12:10:49 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on May 15, 2014, 11:54:00 AM
Quote from: BH on May 15, 2014, 09:58:00 AM
Quote from: Tonker on May 15, 2014, 09:33:52 AM
Quote from: CBStew on May 15, 2014, 09:18:58 AM
Quote from: Eli on May 15, 2014, 09:16:30 AM
Since Hoffman is off the board, there's been some Twitter talk about the Cubs taking Kyle Freeland from Evansville at #4. Sounds like he's shooting up the board pretty quickly.

Scouting report, if anyone is interested.

QuoteCombining impeccable command with plus stuff, Evansville lefthander Kyle Freeland produced one of the most dominant starts of the college season, striking out nearly half (47 percent) of the 32 Charlotte hitters he faced this past weekend in an economical complete-game effort.

"That was as overmatched as I have seen a decent D-1 college team in a long time outside of the upper-echelon pitchers like Stephen Strasburg, David Price and Carlos Rodon, when he is going good," a National League scout said.

He displayed everything evaluators wanted to see, making Freeland a likely first-round pick with the potential to go in the top half of the round. Freeland garnered 22 swinging strikes on the day and retired 19 straight hitters at one point.

He's probably about as close to major-league ready as anyone in this year's class. You know, if you're into that kind of thing.
Whatever happened to that "can't miss" prospect who beaned the guy in the on deck circle?

Ben Christensen?  Not sure he was ever "can't miss".

Given the tommy john disease epidemic, i wouldn't be surprised to see the cubs sign the best hitter at the top pick, then draft pitchers with all the other picks.

I don't know who Sahadev Sharma is, but I think that he must be Paul Bunyan's twin brother since he refers to a 5"10" prospect as "diminutive".

The average height among MLB pitchers is around 6'3", so 5'10" (relatively speaking) is rather "diminutive."

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #977 on: May 15, 2014, 12:40:42 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on May 15, 2014, 12:10:49 PM
Quote from: CBStew on May 15, 2014, 11:54:00 AM
Quote from: BH on May 15, 2014, 09:58:00 AM
Quote from: Tonker on May 15, 2014, 09:33:52 AM
Quote from: CBStew on May 15, 2014, 09:18:58 AM
Since Hoffman is off the board, there's been some Twitter talk about the Cubs taking Kyle Freeland from Evansville at #4. Sounds like he's shooting up the board pretty quickly.

QuoteCombining impeccable command with plus stuff, Evansville lefthander Kyle Freeland produced one of the most dominant starts of the college season, striking out nearly half (47 percent) of the 32 Charlotte hitters he faced this past weekend in an economical complete-game effort.

"That was as overmatched as I have seen a decent D-1 college team in a long time outside of the upper-echelon pitchers like Stephen Strasburg, David Price and Carlos Rodon, when he is going good," a National League scout said.

He displayed everything evaluators wanted to see, making Freeland a likely first-round pick with the potential to go in the top half of the round. Freeland garnered 22 swinging strikes on the day and retired 19 straight hitters at one point.

He's probably about as close to major-league ready as anyone in this year's class. You know, if you're into that kind of thing.
Whatever happened to that "can't miss" prospect who beaned the guy in the on deck circle?

Ben Christensen?  Not sure he was ever "can't miss".

Given the tommy john disease epidemic, i wouldn't be surprised to see the cubs sign the best hitter at the top pick, then draft pitchers with all the other picks.

I don't know who Sahadev Sharma is, but I think that he must be Paul Bunyan's twin brother since he refers to a 5"10" prospect as "diminutive".

The average height among MLB pitchers is around 6'3", so 5'10" (relatively speaking) is rather "diminutive."
No.  "Diminutive" is Dinklage size.  5'10" is shorter than average for a pitcher.  (Notice I used Dinklage, not Oleg or CBStew)
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #978 on: May 15, 2014, 02:09:14 PM »
Quote from: Eli on May 15, 2014, 12:00:53 PM

Posting this so it appears directly below your latest post:

Thank God the Cubs did all that tanking last season so they could get the fourth pick in a three-player draft (if that).

So you're saying they didn't tank enough then. Agreed! The #1 pick is where it's at.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #979 on: May 15, 2014, 02:20:02 PM »

DPD. He says he dominated a decent D-1 team mighty Charlotte, 7-19-1 at the time? There's no way he'll be available for the Cubs at 4.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #980 on: May 16, 2014, 08:01:38 AM »
Kyle Hendricks is continuing to dominate.

http://boxscorenews.com/iowa-cubs-hendricks-dominating-performance-derails-round-rock-express-p87417-68.htm

Apparently he has a 1.94 FIP. Holy shit.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #981 on: May 16, 2014, 08:29:25 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 16, 2014, 08:01:38 AM

http://boxscorenews.com/iowa-cubs-hendricks-dominating-performance-derails-round-rock-express-p87417-68.htm

It'd be great if he's a thing. I'm assuming he'll the be the first guy up if/when Hammel or Shark are traded. Should be a good test for him.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #982 on: May 16, 2014, 08:33:12 AM »
Quote from: Eli on May 16, 2014, 08:29:25 AM
Quote from: Slaky on May 16, 2014, 08:01:38 AM

It'd be great if he's a thing. I'm assuming he'll the be the first guy up if/when Hammel or Shark are traded. Should be a good test for him.

Sounds like that's the idea. I'm also highly intrigued by Wada who has been excellent as well. He's not a prospect but an old pro who's carving up the PCL. Could help out as well.

In shitty news, I guess Soler tweaked his hamstring again.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #983 on: May 16, 2014, 08:44:10 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 16, 2014, 08:33:12 AM

God damn it.

I also saw the stat that Baez is 4-for-his-last-40 with 20 Ks (!), with no extra-base hits. That's pushed me straight into, "I'm not even mad; that's amazing" territory.

I really feel like there has to be something else going on besides just facing guys with slightly better breaking balls. Maybe he's hiding an injury or something, because there's no reasonable explanation for all this.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #984 on: May 16, 2014, 09:10:29 AM »
Quote from: Eli on May 16, 2014, 08:44:10 AM

God damn it.

I also saw the stat that Baez is 4-for-his-last-40 with 20 Ks (!), with no extra-base hits. That's pushed me straight into, "I'm not even mad; that's amazing" territory.

I really feel like there has to be something else going on besides just facing guys with slightly better breaking balls. Maybe he's hiding an injury or something, because there's no reasonable explanation for all this.

You have a lot of people making excuses for him - a lot of which are around the experienced junk ballers he's facing. Also around his age which is close to the lowest in all of AAA.

Maybe he's not a supernova. Maybe he's not Miguel Cabrera (even if they grow on trees). That doesn't mean he's bad.

I'm trying to focus on stuff like Hendricks and Bryant while Baez works his stuff out. In the long run, I hope this is good for him. He probably needed to get knocked down a peg.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #985 on: May 16, 2014, 09:29:51 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 16, 2014, 09:10:29 AM

God damn it.

You have a lot of people making excuses for him - a lot of which are around the experienced junk ballers he's facing. Also around his age which is close to the lowest in all of AAA.

Maybe he's not a supernova. Maybe he's not Miguel Cabrera (even if they grow on trees). That doesn't mean he's bad.

I'm trying to focus on stuff like Hendricks and Bryant while Baez works his stuff out. In the long run, I hope this is good for him. He probably needed to get knocked down a peg.

What's that? Baez might not reach his ceiling because of poor plate discipline? That sort of opinion ain't allowed 'round these parts, pal. Get your mind right.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #986 on: May 16, 2014, 09:32:22 AM »

God damn it.

They can't all be Kris Bryants, riding white-hot dong rockets straight from the draft to World Series MVP.

And better Javy work it out now than later, I guess.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #987 on: May 16, 2014, 09:40:38 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on May 16, 2014, 09:32:22 AM

God damn it.

They can't all be Kris Bryants, riding white-hot dong rockets straight from the draft to World Series MVP.

And better Javy work it out now than later, I guess.

Better now than later and better to start slow in Triple A than the majors, too. It's still really early. He could have a torrid June and everyone would forget all about this.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #988 on: May 16, 2014, 09:56:16 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on May 16, 2014, 09:40:38 AM
It's still really early.

It's ... earlyish. But not "really early." 118 plate apperances is enough to have some statistical meaning.

I'm still betting on an injury and a short DL stint at some point if this keeps up.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #989 on: May 16, 2014, 09:59:43 AM »
Quote from: Eli on May 16, 2014, 09:56:16 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on May 16, 2014, 09:40:38 AM
It's still really early.

It's ... earlyish. But not "really early." 118 plate apperances is enough to have some statistical meaning.

I'm still betting on an injury and a short DL stint at some point if this keeps up.

None of this would be happening if Ricketts had done the right thing and let Baez start the season in the major leagues. Cheap bastard!