News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 365,709 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #1035 on: May 19, 2014, 02:23:49 PM »
Quote from: R-V on May 19, 2014, 02:13:43 PM
Which on the one hand tells you they've got some shitty, shitty players this year (their outfield is bad and full of negative WAR players), but on the other hand tells you that the guys who are actually making positive contributions to the run differential are going to be around for a while.

This is why I don't think their path to contention has to be that much longer. They need more higher-level players, sure, but simply lopping off the AAA/AAAA garbage they have on the bottom of the roster and replacing it with average players would help significantly. There are plenty of guys available every offseason who could be nice upgrades, only because what they'd replace is so terrible.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1036 on: May 19, 2014, 04:19:35 PM »
Which on the one hand tells you they've got some shitty, shitty awful, awful players this year (their outfield is bad and full of negative WAR players), but on the other hand tells you that the guys who are actually making positive contributions to the run differential are going to be around for a while.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1037 on: May 19, 2014, 04:35:27 PM »
Quote from: Eli on May 19, 2014, 02:23:49 PM
Which on the one hand tells you they've got some shitty, shitty players this year (their outfield is bad and full of negative WAR players), but on the other hand tells you that the guys who are actually making positive contributions to the run differential are going to be around for a while.

This is why I don't think their path to contention has to be that much longer. They need more higher-level players, sure, but simply lopping off the AAA/AAAA garbage they have on the bottom of the roster and replacing it with average players would help significantly. There are plenty of guys available every offseason who could be nice upgrades, only because what they'd replace is so terrible.

So if they finally go out and sign some of these 1 WAR turds. How does that improve your life?
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1038 on: May 19, 2014, 04:52:26 PM »

Okay, let's remove trades from the equation since they're harder to predict.  

2015 Roster:
C: Castillo
1B: Rizzo
2B: Baez
SS: Castro
3B: Bryant*
LF: Lake or best FA Available (Melky Cabrera)
CF: Bonifacio, resigned to FA deal
RF: Best FA Available (Nelson Cruz)  

*(assumes Olt isn't ready for primetime at 3B and Bryant isn't moving to corner OF, both of which could turn out differently)

Rotation:
Samardzija - resigned
Wood
E-Jax
Hendricks
Some guy

That's basically best-case scenario, outside of signing a big FA pitcher (basically Lester/Masterson/Scherzer/Gallardo, assuming Cueto gets his option picked up)

72-90 would definitely be disappointing for that team, but signing two legit corner OFs and Baez and Bryant both being ready is pretty wildly optimistic as well.  

You might be able to talk me into .500, but outside of trading Samardzija for multiple guys who are ready now (which seems totally unlikely) I don't see how they compete in 2015.  

I'm not talking about being happy or mad about it, I just don't see how it happens.  
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1039 on: May 19, 2014, 05:00:08 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on May 19, 2014, 04:52:26 PM

Okay, let's remove trades from the equation since they're harder to predict. 

2015 Roster:
C: Castillo
1B: Rizzo
2B: Baez
SS: Castro
3B: Bryant*
LF: Lake or best FA Available (Melky Cabrera)
CF: Bonifacio, resigned to FA deal
RF: Best FA Available (Nelson Cruz) 

*(assumes Olt isn't ready for primetime at 3B and Bryant isn't moving to corner OF, both of which could turn out differently)

Rotation:
Samardzija - resigned
Wood
E-Jax
Hendricks
Some guy

That's basically best-case scenario, outside of signing a big FA pitcher (basically Lester/Masterson/Scherzer/Gallardo, assuming Cueto gets his option picked up)

72-90 would definitely be disappointing for that team, but signing two legit corner OFs and Baez and Bryant both being ready is pretty wildly optimistic as well. 

You might be able to talk me into .500, but outside of trading Samardzija for multiple guys who are ready now (which seems totally unlikely) I don't see how they compete in 2015.   

I'm not talking about being happy or mad about it, I just don't see how it happens. 

Shark is under team control for one more season "he's on the team for next year!", so I assume you mean re-signed to a one-year deal to avoid arbitration?  I mostly agree with this, I think .500 would be a pleasant surprise for 2015 and I wouldn't expect more.  I'm also crazy enough to think Bryant can stick at third and Olt should invest in an outfielder's glove, so YMMV.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1040 on: May 19, 2014, 05:00:57 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on May 19, 2014, 04:35:27 PM
So if they finally go out and sign some of these 1 WAR turds. How does that improve your life?

I assume it would make my favorite baseball team win more games, which might be fun.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1041 on: May 19, 2014, 05:04:42 PM »
Quote from: Eli on May 19, 2014, 05:00:57 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on May 19, 2014, 04:35:27 PM

I assume it would make my favorite baseball team win more games, which might be fun.

Like seven more games.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1042 on: May 19, 2014, 05:07:05 PM »
As for Pen's plan, that's entirely possible. But I'd be surprised if they didn't sign a Masterson/Lester type, and maybe even another mid-range type of starter. They were supposedly going to roll over the Tanaka money to next season and outside of arbitration, they have very little money committed (~$25 million for Jackson, Castro, Rizzo). Even factoring in arbitration raises for Shark and Wood, there should be a lot of payroll available.

Again, maybe I'm being overly optimistic in what moves they will make this offseason, but none of that sounds too crazy to me.

Quote from: InternetApex on May 19, 2014, 05:04:42 PM
Like seven more games.

Well, if their expected record is a little below .500, 7 games would be pretty significant.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1043 on: May 19, 2014, 06:27:25 PM »
Quote from: Eli on May 19, 2014, 05:07:05 PM
As for Pen's plan, that's entirely possible. But I'd be surprised if they didn't sign a Masterson/Lester type, and maybe even another mid-range type of starter. They were supposedly going to roll over the Tanaka money to next season and outside of arbitration, they have very little money committed (~$25 million for Jackson, Castro, Rizzo). Even factoring in arbitration raises for Shark and Wood, there should be a lot of payroll available.

Again, maybe I'm being overly optimistic in what moves they will make this offseason, but none of that sounds too crazy to me.

Quote from: InternetApex on May 19, 2014, 05:04:42 PM
Like seven more games.

Well, if their expected record is a little below .500, 7 games would be pretty significant.

THI

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1044 on: May 21, 2014, 12:39:33 PM »
Damn.

Quote@CarrieMuskat #Cubs prospect Soler sidelined w/right hamstring strain. Checked by Chicago docs. Will go to AZ to rehab, then back to @smokiesbaseball

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1045 on: May 21, 2014, 12:53:32 PM »
Quote from: Eli on May 21, 2014, 12:39:33 PM
Damn.

Quote@CarrieMuskat #Cubs prospect Soler sidelined w/right hamstring strain. Checked by Chicago docs. Will go to AZ to rehab, then back to @smokiesbaseball

Is it time to change his name to RonDL White?

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1046 on: May 21, 2014, 12:58:16 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on May 21, 2014, 12:53:32 PM
Damn.

Jorge SDLer?

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1047 on: May 22, 2014, 12:10:10 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on May 21, 2014, 12:58:16 PM
Damn.

Jorge SDLer?

I suppose it's good news, but it's his other hamstring this time, not the one that was hurt.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1048 on: May 22, 2014, 12:34:12 PM »
Damn.

Jorge SDLer?

Jorge Soreleg

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1049 on: May 22, 2014, 01:17:23 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on May 22, 2014, 12:34:12 PM
Damn.

Jorge SDLer?

Jorge Soreleg

Ha ha!  Winner.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.