News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 365,654 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #2730 on: June 05, 2015, 03:11:22 PM »
Quote from: SKO on June 05, 2015, 02:52:03 PM
Quote from: Eli on June 05, 2015, 02:48:56 PM
Quote from: SKO on June 05, 2015, 02:41:56 PM
DPD, errors are also a terrible stat for measuring how good a guy is defensively.

Especially in the minors, where the fields suck and you're less likely to get bailed out on poor throws.

Pen's the reason Derek Jeter won a gold glove. Errors my ass.

Oh and since I already used him as an example, Beltre made 37 errors one year in the minors. Peniswrong again!

Errors are not a good stat, that's fine, but you can still use them directionally. 

Or you could read people who are writing about the Cubs minor leagues who say he's been poor defensively this year.

Either way. 
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2731 on: June 05, 2015, 03:14:22 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on June 05, 2015, 03:11:22 PM
DPD, errors are also a terrible stat for measuring how good a guy is defensively.

Especially in the minors, where the fields suck and you're less likely to get bailed out on poor throws.

Oh and since I already used him as an example, Beltre made 37 errors one year in the minors. Peniswrong again!

Errors are not a good stat, that's fine, but you can still use them directionally. 

Or you could read people who are writing about the Cubs minor leagues who say he's been poor defensively this year.

Either way. 

Oh so we've now evolved to citing other bloggers as our defense. Tell me, do you have anything about Christian Villanueva not being a long term fit at 3B defensively other than errors and "some guys you read"? Can you at least name these guys?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2732 on: June 05, 2015, 03:14:26 PM »
All I know is Baez made something like 40 errors two years ago so I figured we were getting a good-hit, no defense shortstop.

And then I saw him play both middle infield positions at the major league level for 2 months to clearly see that he was a legit defensive player and it got me off errors-as-a-measurement once and for all.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2733 on: June 05, 2015, 03:16:34 PM »
Quote from: SKO on June 05, 2015, 03:14:22 PM

Either way. 

Oh so we've now evolved to citing other bloggers as our defense. Tell me, do you have anything about Christian Villanueva not being a long term fit at 3B defensively other than errors and "some guys you read"? Can you at least name these guys?

Well, since I'm not a scout and I don't watch the games, I'm not sure what else you'd like to go on here.

I think citing "people who watch the games" is probably a decent source, considering the circumstances here. 

Hell, you're in Iowa, why don't you go and tell us? 

His fielding percentage is also way down this year, though his Range Factor is fine. 

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2734 on: June 05, 2015, 03:18:50 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on June 05, 2015, 03:16:34 PM
Quote from: SKO on June 05, 2015, 03:14:22 PM

Either way.  

Well, since I'm not a scout and I don't watch the games, I'm not sure what else you'd like to go on here.

I think citing "people who watch the games" is probably a decent source, considering the circumstances here.  

Hell, you're in Iowa, why don't you go and tell us?  

His fielding percentage is also way down this year, though his Range Factor is fine.  

Fielding percentage is based solely on errors so that makes sense. I'm glad your vague non-existent source (which is probably just the Cubs Den guy who ALSO says he sees Villanueva sticking at 3B long term anyway) is more authoritative than range factor and him being drafted as a 3B, developed as a 3B, and ranked as a top 100 prospect at one point largely because of his glove.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2735 on: June 05, 2015, 03:19:36 PM »
Oh and I actually watched Villanueva's first game at Iowa this year, with Wada pitching, he made several nice diving stops and his throws looked great. I'm now a certified expert on the Pen Scale.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2736 on: June 05, 2015, 03:19:59 PM »
Quote from: SKO on June 05, 2015, 03:19:36 PM
Oh and I actually watched Villanueva's first game at Iowa this year, with Wada pitching, he made several nice diving stops and his throws looked great. I'm now a certified expert on the Pen Scale.

Seems like a pretty small sample size.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2737 on: June 05, 2015, 03:25:32 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on June 05, 2015, 03:19:59 PM
Quote from: SKO on June 05, 2015, 03:19:36 PM

Seems like a pretty small sample size.

Barely even registers on the Tocco Scale.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2738 on: June 05, 2015, 03:26:33 PM »
When Villanueva is starting at 3B three years from now for a last place AL team I'll have my day. I'll have my fucking day.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2739 on: June 05, 2015, 03:30:42 PM »
Quote from: SKO on June 05, 2015, 03:26:33 PM
When Villanueva is starting at 3B three years from now for a last place AL team I'll have my day. I'll have my fucking day.

Actually, Arguello will have his day.

Quote from: Today
I think he's a second division starter (at 3B)  as far as his ceiling is concerned, assuming he cleans up the defense, but the Cubs are no longer a 2nd division team.  A team with a need at 3B and looking for cost control (i.e. a rebuilding team) may be able to use him.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2740 on: June 05, 2015, 03:35:57 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on June 05, 2015, 03:30:42 PM
Quote from: SKO on June 05, 2015, 03:26:33 PM

Actually, Arguello will have his day.

Quote from: Today
I think he's a second division starter (at 3B)  as far as his ceiling is concerned, assuming he cleans up the defense, but the Cubs are no longer a 2nd division team.  A team with a need at 3B and looking for cost control (i.e. a rebuilding team) may be able to use him.

Either way he's a third baseman and you're a dope.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2741 on: June 05, 2015, 03:51:23 PM »

So Christian Villaneuva is basically Spanish for Mike Olt. Let's move on.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2742 on: June 05, 2015, 03:53:31 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on June 05, 2015, 03:51:23 PM

Other than being not even remotely comparable, profile-wise, as hitters, this is spot on! And Mike Olt was once traded to a rebuilding team for a quality starting pitcher, so, yeah, this is exactly what we're trying to accomplish here.

But seriously Villanueva's struck out 21 times this year. Olt's K'd twice that much while on the DL.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2743 on: June 05, 2015, 08:25:28 PM »
Quote from: SKO on June 05, 2015, 03:53:31 PM

Other than being not even remotely comparable, profile-wise, as hitters, this is spot on! And Mike Olt was once traded to a rebuilding team for a quality starting pitcher, so, yeah, this is exactly what we're trying to accomplish here.

But seriously Villanueva's struck out 21 times this year. Olt's K'd twice that much while on the DL.

I'm glad that SKO's frighteningly rapid descent into Hueyhood has been recorded on this messageboard for posterity, otherwise I might not believe it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2744 on: June 05, 2015, 09:06:03 PM »
Quote from: CT III on June 05, 2015, 08:25:28 PM
Quote from: SKO on June 05, 2015, 03:53:31 PM

I'm glad that SKO's frighteningly rapid descent into Hueyhood has been recorded on this messageboard for posterity, otherwise I might not believe it.

Don't blame me for Pen saying something stupid. Not gonna just sit here and let him be wrong.