News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 365,696 )

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #2865 on: September 08, 2015, 10:31:38 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 08, 2015, 10:26:27 AM
For whatever it's worth, Willson Contreras won the Southern League batting title, hitting .333/.413/.478/.891 on the year. Willing to bet he could be a nice trade piece this offseason as a catcher who can swing the bat. Teams always need those.

And his name looks so much like Wellington Castillo that I can't wait for your "Epstink is terrible for trading a catcher who can hit" posts.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2866 on: September 08, 2015, 10:48:09 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on September 08, 2015, 10:31:38 AM
For whatever it's worth, Willson Contreras won the Southern League batting title, hitting .333/.413/.478/.891 on the year. Willing to bet he could be a nice trade piece this offseason as a catcher who can swing the bat. Teams always need those.

And his name looks so much like Wellington Castillo that I can't wait for your "Epstink is terrible for trading a catcher who can hit" posts.

It's Welington Castillo. He gave Willson his other L.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2867 on: September 08, 2015, 03:55:00 PM »

Or, let's swee what he does in Iowa, just in case Schwarber doesn't develop into a catcher who is a defensive plus.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2868 on: September 08, 2015, 03:58:25 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on September 08, 2015, 03:55:00 PM

Or, let's swee what he does in Iowa, just in case Schwarber doesn't develop into a catcher who is a defensive plus.

If the return for him isn't good enough, sure, but if I wouldn't let that stop them from throwing him into the package for a good starting pitcher if he's what the other team is asking for. Montero is under contract for two more years and really Schwarber looks like he could figure it out within that time frame. No need to hoard a guy like Contreras if the price is right.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2869 on: September 18, 2015, 07:15:59 AM »
Myrtle Beach won the Carolina League championship with the same core group that won in Kane County last year.

Next year we get to see how all that pitching does in Tennessee.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2870 on: September 18, 2015, 08:50:20 AM »
So Almora finished the season .272/.327/.400/.727, hardly the stuff of his immediate studly predecessors, but certainly an indicator that he may still be useful yet, if his defense is as Andruw Jones-awesome as some have implied.  Speaking of that I see that he also made 6 errors in the OF in 252 chances (2 in 180 in CF, from where he made 5 of his 6 assists, including 1 DP).  Of course I learned from Javy Baez--who made 44 errors in 644 chances at SS in 2013 between High-A and AA but has clearly demonstrated he's a borderline defensive wizard at the major league level-- that trying to get a read on a player's minor-league defense based on traditional measures is probably a futile endeavor...leading me to ask any of you statfags who, if anybody, tracks the fancy-assed defensive metrics like UZR and such for minor league ball...
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2871 on: September 18, 2015, 09:19:32 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 08, 2015, 03:58:25 PM

If the return for him isn't good enough, sure, but if I wouldn't let that stop them from throwing him into the package for a good starting pitcher if he's what the other team is asking for. Montero is under contract for two more years and really Schwarber looks like he could figure it out within that time frame. No need to hoard a guy like Contreras if the price is right.

Montero is 32 years old, Ross is 96, and while we all hope Schwarber can continue to develop at catcher, I don't know that I'd bet on it happening. I'm a little puzzled at why you're in such a hurry to trade a guy in Contreras who by all accounts I've read is blossoming into a stud, when the Cubs don't exactly have Buster Posey locked in behind the plate for the next 5+ years.

If we're talking about a target like a Felix Hernandez, hell yes Contreras should be on the table, but I don't know that I'm willing to give him up for a merely "good" starting pitcher.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2872 on: September 18, 2015, 09:36:00 AM »
Quote from: R-V on September 18, 2015, 09:19:32 AM
Quote from: SKO on September 08, 2015, 03:58:25 PM

Montero is 32 years old, Ross is 96, and while we all hope Schwarber can continue to develop at catcher, I don't know that I'd bet on it happening. I'm a little puzzled at why you're in such a hurry to trade a guy in Contreras who by all accounts I've read is blossoming into a stud, when the Cubs don't exactly have Buster Posey locked in behind the plate for the next 5+ years.

If we're talking about a target like a Felix Hernandez, hell yes Contreras should be on the table, but I don't know that I'm willing to give him up for a merely "good" starting pitcher.

This is fair.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2873 on: September 18, 2015, 09:46:38 AM »
The 2016 Cubs should be world series contenders. Contreras isn't going to be a part of that, regardless. If you get a starting pitcher who increases your chances of winning a title in 2016 for Contreras, you move him. Sure, he's too high of a price for some Mike Leake type, but I'm guessing if Theo is trading for a guy it's a Ross/Carrasco type or better, so you can damn well bet I'm moving a catcher with one good year in the minors for that chance.

It helps that I honestly think with another offseason to work on it Schwarber can be an OK catcher.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2874 on: October 08, 2015, 06:44:30 PM »
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/10/cubs-to-sign-eddy-julio-martinez.html Eddy Julio Martinez, who has drawn comps to Andruw Jones and has a 60+ grade on all five tools.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2875 on: October 08, 2015, 07:22:56 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 08, 2015, 06:44:30 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/10/cubs-to-sign-eddy-julio-martinez.html Eddy Julio Martinez, who has drawn comps to Andruw Jones and has a 60+ grade on all five tools.

I have so many questions about this dude and the whole process since July, but lacking those answers...bonertime.

Big tip of the cat to McLeod.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2876 on: October 08, 2015, 10:50:40 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on October 08, 2015, 07:22:56 PM

I have so many questions about this dude and the whole process since July, but lacking those answers...bonertime.

Same here.  No idea what went on, but I'm glad they swooped in and got him.  $3 million is nothing for an MLB team.

From MLB Pipeline, just to refresh our memories:

QuoteEddy Julio Martinez (#4 of 30 on MLB Pipeline's 2015 IFA list)

Position: OF
Bats: R
Throws: R
DOB: 1/18/1995
Height: 6'2
Weight: 195 lb

Scouting grades: Hit: 60 | Power: 60 | Run: 70 | Arm: 60 | Field: 60

Think a young Andruw Jones. That's how some scouts have described the 20-year-old center fielder from Cuba. Evaluators like his body -- described as solid and compact -- and his athleticism. But there's a lot more to like.

In the batter's box, Martinez has a quick and compact power stroke. He's shown the ability to hit home runs to all fields and work the counts. He's speedy out of the box and shows base-stealing potential. Described as "hard-nosed," Martinez is aggressive and not afraid to take an extra-base.

Martinez has shown good instincts on defense and the ability to cover the gaps in the outfield. Those skills combined with a playable and accurate arm make scouts believe he will stay in center field and could be in the big leagues in after a couple of seasons in the Minor Leagues. Scouts also like that Martinez has experience playing for Cuba's junior national teams in Mexico and Venezuela and that he spent two seasons with Las Tunas in Cuba's Serie Nacional, the island's top league.

Martinez, who was declared a free agent by Major League Baseball in May, is eligible to sign. However, it is unclear if he will sign during the current international signing period or wait until the next period that begins on July 2. He is currently training in the Dominican Republic.

The Cubs, Yankees, Angels, Blue Jays, Nationals, Rockies, Tigers, Dodgers, Giants and White Sox are among the teams that have expressed serious interest in Martinez.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2877 on: October 08, 2015, 10:57:45 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 08, 2015, 10:50:40 PM

Same here.  No idea what went on, but I'm glad they swooped in and got him.  $3 million is nothing for an MLB team.

Think a young Andruw Jones. That's how some scouts have described the 20-year-old center fielder from Cuba. Evaluators like his body -- described as solid and compact -- and his athleticism. But there's a lot more to like.

In the batter's box, Martinez has a quick and compact power stroke. He's shown the ability to hit home runs to all fields and work the counts. He's speedy out of the box and shows base-stealing potential. Described as "hard-nosed," Martinez is aggressive and not afraid to take an extra-base.

Martinez has shown good instincts on defense and the ability to cover the gaps in the outfield. Those skills combined with a playable and accurate arm make scouts believe he will stay in center field and could be in the big leagues in after a couple of seasons in the Minor Leagues. Scouts also like that Martinez has experience playing for Cuba's junior national teams in Mexico and Venezuela and that he spent two seasons with Las Tunas in Cuba's Serie Nacional, the island's top league.

Martinez, who was declared a free agent by Major League Baseball in May, is eligible to sign. However, it is unclear if he will sign during the current international signing period or wait until the next period that begins on July 2. He is currently training in the Dominican Republic.

The Cubs, Yankees, Angels, Blue Jays, Nationals, Rockies, Tigers, Dodgers, Giants and White Sox are among the teams that have expressed serious interest in Martinez.

What's his BMI? Asking for a friend.
TIME TO POST!

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2878 on: October 09, 2015, 06:06:53 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on October 08, 2015, 10:57:45 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 08, 2015, 10:50:40 PM

What's his BMI? Asking for a friend.

2 FAT 4 CF. 2 FAT 2 TIP CAT.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2879 on: October 09, 2015, 11:10:08 AM »
In all seriousness, where will the Cubs break him in? Tennessee seems like the logical spot given his age.
TIME TO POST!